Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001' 1.6 5spd manual 203,562mi.

Got in the car and no start, checked spark no spark checked gas pump not working. Had a new cam sensor in trunk changed it no start. I seems to be the ECU not sending data-voltages to the relays or ignition?
Does anyone know what could shut down the computer from operating?

Appreciate any help,
Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hmm check the wires if everything looks good check the fuzes one more time and if thats good disconnect your battery for about 10 to 15 minutes to reset he computer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can do that, disconnecting the battery to see if it resets anything.
This new crank sensor is from China and I hope it works as well, have no impedance values on it either?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
That is correct the pulse base lines the ECU then ECU takes over and gets the feeds back from ox-sensors and commands spark timing advance and retard for optimum performance. I need schematics and values to components where to find them?

Tomorrow I'll go back to the car 6 miles from here and do it all over again.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Scan for codes if you can. You said you changed the cam sensor; then 3 posts later said it was the crank sensor. Which part was changed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dead ecu

“ DEAD ECM ” no Data-Link either so what could be the problem? I found a pinout on this website,
Beta Swap ECM Pinout Guide - Hyundai Aftermarket.org
Removed ECM and got familiar with the pin numbering then matched it with the female plug for the locations since they have no numbers stamped on plug-body.
First found all the ground continuity at the plug; 51, 53 & 61 all were OK.
Second checked voltage with key “OFF”, why? because the ECM is energized all the time to hold data stored for all around driving conditions. I then used DVOM to test the +12volt pin-receptacles in the plug, at pins; 13 is 12volt OK, 44, 45 & 63 are dead and these are (tied together somewhere in the wiring harness) before it passes through the engine compartment firewall. I went throughout the fuse box tracing all wire directions from that ECU 20amp fuse to the tie bar on the side of the box and found the red wire going to the white plug in the box going towards the center of the firewall. I will have to cut open that loom when I have time tomorrow. I could make a new hot lead to those three pins but I have to see what’s going on?
Cool photos from some dude.
100_5277.jpg Photo by DreRob | Photobucket

This may happen to most all Accents so beware!

I'll be back! to finalize this issue.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Scan for codes if you can. You said you changed the cam sensor; then 3 posts later said it was the crank sensor. Which part was changed.

My brain is shot from thinking and doing I meant Crank sensor, I am very sorry about that but I found that was a waist of time changing.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Attached my sketch of the Engine Control sequence and a doctored drawing of the power feeds to the ECM.

From the engine fuse box Fuse ECU1 feeds numerous circuits after leaving the plug EC01 (as you noted).
Offhand, I don't know precisely where that junction spot is but you ought to be able to trace the wire from EC01 to locate it.
Corrosion (road salt?) would be my first guess.

If/when you find the problem, some photos would be great!

Jim (formerly of Weehawken)

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Jim thanks for your help with this issue, today got depressed after no change when energizing the ECM still dead but you woke me up with the memory pin-12, I missed that important point, rats. tomorrow I will head back and check that.
I opened the loom before it entered the firewall and found no junction of wires, where I'll bet you'll find it behind the insulation up high under dash a killer of a location to get at, around the peddle feed-thru's.

You say Weehawken was a place you lived at, nice viewing of NY.

Jim

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jim thanks for your help with this issue, today got depressed after no change when energizing the ECM still dead but you woke me up with the memory pin-12, I missed that important point, rats. tomorrow I will head back and check that.
I opened the loom before it entered the firewall and found no junction of wires, where I'll bet you'll find it behind the insulation up high under dash a killer of a location to get at, around the peddle feed-thru's.

You say Weehawken was a place you lived at, nice viewing of NY.

Jim

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jim I am getting conflicting schematic diagrams from places I research, is this the norm?
I will look for that "engine control relay" if it has one or others that may trigger the ECM.
Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
669 Posts
Yes, there can be discrepancies in the diagrams. I cross-checked those and I think they are fairly accurate.

Engine control relay is under the dash.

Since the 02 sensors, purge valve and tranny all tap off that Pk/Blk wire from EC01, I have to think there is a connection in the engine bay.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jim today I check that relay you showed and function as it should but what I need to do is us my ignition switch ON and follow the flow charts but I have to undo all the wiring and replace the ECM then energize the system to see what is what.
The 12pin has to tested for power then trace that Eng relay to see if it has power for switching?
I am unemployed so I can spend time with but Walgreens may ask me to move it soon???
Thanks Jim,
Jim

·
22,793 Posts
I am unemployed so I can spend time with but Walgreens may ask me to move it soon???
Jim
Jim, I'd seek out the manager and explain the situation. I would like to think they will be more than understanding, especially with your situation and this being the Christmas season. Heck, they might even give you an application to fill out while you're in there and you'll get stuck with a 12 hour a day job, 7 days a week! So, be careful! ;)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts