Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 hyundai accent gl, 1.6l dohc engine. The issue is in the cold weather, the car will turn over, and then buck and stall right out. After a while, she will finally catch and idle really rough, until the car warms up, and the temp gauge goes to halfway, and then it all goes away, and the car runs perfectly fine. Its only in the winter it does it, and when the car is really cold.

I just put a new battery in today, the alternator is newer, fuel pump is newer, new plugs and wires. I am leaning towards the coolant temp sensor gone faulty. I was wondering if anyone can tell me where it is located to on the engine so I can change it out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks for the reply, but I cannot locate it based on that photo. It looks a little different than mine. My engine seems to be more crammed together than the photo. I will keep looking and see if I can pinpoint based on the photo.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahh, figures. I will do that, and let you know how it goes. Thanks for helping me along the way, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
there really isnt much else to cause this than the coolant temp sensor. should be a resistance graph hiding somewhere on www.hmaservice.com...in the cold you could get a multimeter and see what the resistance across the sensor is. if its nowhere near what spec is, problem found.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
A OBDII data reader is a nice tool to use to monitor things like engine coolant temp. The Ultra Gauge is a good one and is relatively inexpensive. I leave mine plugged in all the time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, so I managed to locate it based on the first pic posted. It is in that spot. Just nice and tucked away, I removed the air intake to get access, but the problem I have now is, the plug end of it that goes into the engine is **** near impossible to get at. My question is, is there any easy way to get at it, if not, and I have to take it to the garage, is it ok to leave it unplugged and run the car? I haven't tried the car with it unplugged yet, I just want to make sure I don't ruin anything.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I use a long 45* angled needle nose to release some of the tabs. Seems Hyundai has a half dozen type connectors all which release differently.

It will not hurt the car to run with it unconnected. It will set a DTC but that is easily cleared by disconnecting the battery for a minute.

If you have it unplugged and the motor is cold then see if it will run better. If it does then it is definitely the ECT sensor as the ECU is not seeing it and using default values.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
If the connector has a wire clip to retain it, do not remove the clip. Just push in on the wire it and pull out the connector.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, the weather isn't very cold here today, like the rest of the weekend. So, after boosting the battery, the car finally went again, so now I am back to not being able to know if its the coolant temp sensor or not. This is pissing me off, but at least the car is going today. I am afraid to drive it anywhere though. Seems to me I should just get an appointment to a garage and drop the car off. Will they be able to determine the sensor without costing me a ton to diagnose the car? Is it one of those things that is going to be trial and error?

·
22,793 Posts
Any tech worth his salt should be able to diagnose it pretty quickly. As for cost, it's strictly up to them and what the flat rate manual says to charge for the repair. Ask for an estimate. I'd sit inside, warm up and think it over before taking one more stab at it, using the methods, above, as a reference.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts