Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
  1. Something I didn't want to here cause the way it runs but could be possibility.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
One of the first things I was taught many many years ago was for an engine to run it takes 3 things. Compression, spark and fuel. Low compression combined with slow cranking can cause a no start so Its a good place to start.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thats the point I dont have slow cranking and getting fuel and spark but during cold days my compression must be low. Engine performance that I'm getting shows no sign of trouble except when it turns cold out. It cranks right up but have been using oil more than usual lately. Sign there I guess. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Using oil may not be associated with low compression but it was just a thought. I have found on a few occasions where a car won't start and the driver continues to crank the engine that it washes the oil from the bore and no matter how hard you try it won't go. The trick in this case is to remove the plugs and put 2 squirts from an oil can down each plug hose to restore compression. If it then starts it is a compression problem. A test is best done.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
In addition, my understanding is that can sensor would not cause a no-start.
Hyundai uses the cam sensor for timing along with the crank sensor for starting engine.
After the engine starts, it monitors the cam sensor but doesn't use it for timing the spark or injector pulse.
You would think that a waste spark system would not need to use the cam sensor
But, the injectors still need to be timed correctly.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
If you think it is caused by low compression then do the compression test while the engine won't start and is cold
I think it is the cam sensor. When cold the sensor shortens in length and doesn't read the cam correctly. ... hahaha.
I know the cam sensor was replaced. It doesn't mean the new one was good?????

Anyway, seriously, until one does the correct testing. One will just run around it circles.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Confusion says I have a problem and it comes and goes. It snowed last nite. Not that cold this morning. Put a charger maintainer on battery last night. 2 days car wouldn't start cause it was cold out. Tried jump starting yesterday cause it was cold and that didn't work. Started up yesterday evening when temp got up to 30 degrees. Went out this morning brushed the snow off took charger off and car cranked right up with no hesitation. Wondering should i start from electrical issue. 27 degrees. Got to find problem before temp drop below 20 degrees

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
I would guess that for when it is getting cold that a 12v+ circuit to the main relay or fuel pump relay is opening up. Probably a bad connector somewhere.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
I doubt that if the cam sensor was replaced to try and fix this problem that the new one has the same fault.
I work in an autoparts store.
Have seen brand new parts and aftermarket parts not work.
Can not always trust new parts.
But, I doubt it was the problem.
More likely is bad battery cause cold affects battery all the time.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
From my experience most faulty parts that are returned were buggered up by the person that tried to fit it unless it's cheap Chinese junk made by kids in sweatshops before and after school.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
This car is crazy. Been starting last few days no problems so I'm have my altinator and stater draw checked. I know from charger the alternator not charging the battery up to 100% when running. Been using a maintenance charging to get it fully charge overnite and its been starting.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
To be sure I'm have it checked. But after driving i hooked my little charger maintainer up and it reading a low status and by morning I its charged full. Hoping that i dont have a electrical drain somewhere pulling juice out the battery or battery it self. A year old. Why it wouldn't start with a jump the other day is confussion. Plus I know the temp hasn't been 20 since few days now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
  • Time to start over with diagnostic. From the beginning. Had electrical tested batttery alternator and starter checked out to be okay. Waiting on some new codes to pop up or im have to go back to some old ones that should have been taken care when I put the plugs coils in last year around this time after fuel pump replacement that I snatched from the shop they informed me that they installed fuel pump and car wouldn't start that it was the crank sensor and i knew it was the pump shutting down when it got hot. I drove it in to them and it was starting so i pulled it from shop and fixed it myself. Where ever they got that pump from was defected. I put the old one back in car started so i took the new pump back for another new one and problem was solved. They said wow we just couldnt believe they gave us a defected pump. It happens but i refuse to take my car back to them for troubleshooting. I know i did have some misfire issues.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Pumps are the most common component I have seen bad from the start. Their usually cheap knock offs from China with a well known brand stamped on them. Reputable shops won't deal with them but some that want to make bigger profits take a chance.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts