Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, hopefully someone could shed some light on an issue I’m having with my 2006 Tucson. The timing belt snapped and I have replaced the belt and realigned to the timing marks the best I could to no success. Is there something I’m missing? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Please provide additional details as to what you have replaced / checked during your repair. Does the engine turn over when you set the key to start? Do you hear the fuel pump spin up when key is moved to ON position? Have you checked for balanced compression readings in each cylinder? Are you saying you tried to align the timing marks on the cam but could not do it for some reason?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
A lot of engines are interference, if the belt broke and this motor is chances are the valves smacked the pistons and are bent

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,554 Posts
Yeah, these are interference engines. Can not just replace the timing belt and expect it to run.
Compression test and leak down test will confirm this and let you know which valves are suspect.
I am very sorry for your lost.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the motor will turn over. Just not start. I have replaced the crankshaft sensor water pump and timing belt. The fuel pump primes right when the key is moved to on too. I have not checked compression in the cylinders ( mainly because I don’t have the tools to do that). Yes I can manually adjust the top sprockets to align the timing marks and I can rotate the the bottom (crank) to where it stops about a half a tooth from perfect alignment and I can’t make it go any fuether.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice I think I will have to take it somewhere to have compression test done and probably have to retire this one.
After the timing belt broke, have you done anything to inspect the cylinder head and valves?
i have not I don’t have the tools to do so. I will have to take it some where.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello, hopefully someone could shed some light on an issue I’m having with my 2006 Tucson. The timing belt snapped and I have replaced the belt and realigned to the timing marks the best I could to no success. Is there something I’m missing? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Yes the motor will turn over. Just not start. I have replaced the crankshaft sensor water pump and timing belt. The fuel pump primes right when the key is moved to on too. I have not checked compression in the cylinders ( mainly because I don’t have the tools to do that). Yes I can manually adjust the top sprockets to align the timing marks and I can rotate the the bottom (crank) to where it stops about a half a tooth from perfect alignment and I can’t make it go any fuether.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,554 Posts
If you have not inspected the cylinder head then probably don't need to do compression test
Interference engine, you know something is messed up when the timing belt breaks.
After all, this is not a Honda engine.

I would get some quotes on what it takes to replace the engine and/or fix the engine
Then decide what to do from there. Good luck.

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
If that vehicle was being driven when the belt broke you have a bunch of bent valves and possible broken piston.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts