Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I have a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4 and it broke the timing belt while I was driving it. Now I went to a trade school in the late 90s so I can understand cars pretty good however I opened this 2.4 engine and when I saw the rocker arm off under the valve cover I knew that it had at least one bent valve so I took the head off and all of the valves were bent so I took I to the machine shop and was told that after they pulled the valves out that all the valve guides were cracked also and was shot a estimate of between 600 to 900 the work so I started to look online and found a complete head for 395 so I decided to go that way and bought a mew head te I replaced the water pump both timing belts and all the pull ya and Timing belt tensioner got it all back together tried to start it and it started kinda ran for maybe 5 seconds sounded not so good but shut off now the clip on the camshaft position sensor was broken And silicone together on the old head so I ordered a new plug and new camshaft position sensor wired them up the best I could using the internet to find the wire diagram and went to start it again and nothing just spins and dos not even try to fire up so then I checked if I was getting spark and nothing now I pulled the codes on it and it said ca sensor circuit problem so I did not erase the code after I changed the wiring but then I erased the code and now it does not show that any codes are present now since I did not have spark I checked all the fuses and their good I. Replaced the crankshaft position sensor and still nothing I’m at a lost I can feel the relay for the fuel pump kick on when I crank it to start it but still no spark any thoughts on what might be the problem?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I would erase the code and try again and if it reappears start doing some testing. Scottie will swoop quickly on this one with some good diagrams and measurement readings.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Here is hoping the timing belts were put on correctly.

You have no spark?
Did you check for injector pulse?
No spark and no injector pulse means the crankshaft sensor is not getting its signal through to the ECM.
Have hear that Hyundai uses the cam sensor to start engine and then runs off crank sensor.
Check wires and connectors (frayed wires, bent pins, etc)

·
Registered
12,120 Posts
You've confirmed there is no spark, and I know you said you hear a relay clicking but I suggest you now check and confirm that the fuel pump is being switched on DURING CRANK. There's fuel pump check terminal on the engine bay fusebox (F/P CHK on the fusebox cover). Probe the terminal with your voltmeter and confirm there is 10V while the engine is cranking.

If you have no spark & no power being sent to the fuel pump that is pointing to the crank sensor signal, so the next step would be to check the crank sensor has a good 12V power supply and ground when the ignition is switched on.

If power is being sent to the fuel pump DURING CRANK but there is no spark that is pointing to an ignition issue, so the next step in that case would be to check the ignition coils have a good 12V power supply when the ignition is switched on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts