Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2007 Santa Fe (2.7 engine). Vehicle has new battery (2 months old). Walked up to car with remote to unlock the doors and it would not work. Used key to unlock the door. Put key in ignition and everything is dead as if no battery in the vehicle. Pull out jumper cables and jump start the car. It fires right up and stays running when cables are disconnected. Drive through parking lot at work and car shuts off as I slow down and have no power. Jump start the car again and fires right up again. Drive around the parking lot slowly then hit the accelerator to speed up and car shuts off again with absolutely no power. Remove battery and take to store to see if it is good. Battery is charged at 100%. Car parts guy suggeats that it may be bad camshaft or crankshaft sensors. Go back to the car and put battery back in it. Jump start again since no power. Drive it out of employee parking lot where it turned off again when slowing down for stop sign. Had vehicle towed home.

I ordered the parts that the guy suggested that causes car to shut off while driving. But those would not cause the no power issue to just unlock the car doors and have to jump start the car. Could it be the battery cables? Terminals on the cables are brand new and clean.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,913 Posts
You definitely have a power supply issue, so I wouldn't bother fitting any sensors right now. the problem could be either on the ground side of the battery or the supply side. Probably the easiest thing to check would be the main power supply to the engine bay fusebox. There are two M6 studs on the fusebox where the main cables attach. Make sure those connections are clean and tight. If that checks out I would follow the cable off the battery negative terminal to where it attaches to the car body. Again, make sure that connection is clean and tight. It's a good idea to remove the body ground and scrape away the paint from under the terminal too. Smear a little grease over the area when your done to keep the water out.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I broke out the meter and discovered that the ground cable on the battery was not showing 12 volts. I forgot that I had installed new battery terminals and used the existing attachment points and not bare cable. So the attachment points were resting on the painted surface of the terminals. I removed them both and used my Dremel to sand off the paint. Problem fixed! Not sure how the car worked for a month or so after I changed out the terminals and suddenly it decided not to work. But that was my issue. Thanks for the reply!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts