Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks & Happy Thanksgiving

We bought a new Sonata V6 in 2006. For the first 60,000 miles it was wonderful & fun to drive. We loved it. However, when it hit 60,000 miles & the bumper to bumper warranty ended, the problems & costly repairs began. The first problem occurred at 60,500 miles when the fuel pump failed. That cost us $1000. Next, the air conditioner wiring went out & that cost us $500. Then, the spring in the passenger vanity visor broke. That would have cost $100, but we opted to not have it replaced. Finally, at 84,000 miles the valve covers started leaking causing the coils & spark plugs to foul. The gaskets were replaced under warranty, but the other cost us almost $400 to replace.

At this point, we were totally disgusted with the service & quality of our car. We put it up for sale & sold it last weekend before anything else went out.

Bottom line ----- I would NEVER, EVER consider or buy another Hyundai or Kia. Nor would I recommend one of their vehicles.

Thanks for reading my rant. I feel better.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Thanks for sharing - maybe I'll get rid of mine before 50K miles arrives.

But those prices you quote are part of the prob - $1000 for a fuel pump?

Unbeliiveable.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (kn5owa @ Nov 25 2010, 10:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=374715
Thanks for sharing - maybe I'll get rid of mine before 50K miles arrives.

But those prices you quote are part of the prob - $1000 for a fuel pump?

Unbeliiveable.
That sounds about right for ANY fuel pump. When the fuel pump went out on my Saturn 2 years ago at ~145K miles it set me back nearly $1,000 parts/labor, including a fuel system tune-up and towing, over $800 for just the fuel pump parts/labor.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just my two cents...seems the V6 Sonata's have more problems in general. I'm not sure exactly why, and I would prefer a V6, but I'm glad I have an I4. :D Some of these problems are common on all Sonata's though, aka sun visor in mine broke at 52,000 miles. It seems to me that Honda's make more reliable I4's as well. Their V6 Accord's seem to have more problems too. Sorry you had such bad luck with your Sonata. Hopefully my I4 Sonata will stand the test of time. Maybe the V6's are built on Fridays! ;)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Happy Thansgiving to you, too.
Did you have the dealer do the repairs?
Did you trade the vehicle. Would you share what you got for your '06?

·
Registered
65 Posts
fuel pump is a $75 part, if that, and requires removing the bottom of the backseat or the trunk carpeting, undoing 8-10 screws, a snap on connector, and dropping the new one in. Most modern cars, this is an hour job for an amateur - tops.

I've seen pretty similar results on hyundai quality. It's improving, for certain, but it's nowhere near the Honda/Toyota/Nissan level.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
QUOTE (pseudomaniac @ Nov 25 2010, 08:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=374798
I've seen pretty similar results on hyundai quality. It's improving, for certain, but it's nowhere near the Honda/Toyota/Nissan level.
Actually, as mentioned by me here, under another thread ("Would you buy another Hyundai") Hyundai's reliability rating today is WELL WITHIN THE RANGE LEVEL OF THE COMPETITION:

Consumer Report just came out with their car survey results (Dec. issue), placing Hyundai's reliability score higher than Mazda, Nissan, Volkswagen and the rest of them GM and Chrysler, or those expensive German cars........ The Sonata (4cyl.) is rated better than the 4cyl. Camry, or the Altima, and much better than both 4cyl. and V6 Accord, or the Mazda 6, certainly way above the Camry V6.........

We have Sonata NF owners here with much higher mileage, and they're still very happy.... So maybe it's luck, maybe it's the way one treats his/her car, maybe (in the case of the fuel pump) it's the kind of gas one uses ----- lots of maybes. If generation NF of the Sonata was a lousy car --- after cumulating 5 years of ownership, and so many hundreds of thousands produced --- IT WOULD HAVE BEEN ESTABLISHED ALREADY. The pros, and according to owner surveys, are all giving Hyundai VERY high ratings these days.

·
Registered
97 Posts
QUOTE (downhiller88 @ Nov 25 2010, 05:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=374771
^v6 honda accord/TL/oddessey automatic tranny = garbage
Amen to that one. I think they've overcome the problem on the most recent ones, but there is still definitely a problem. I guess the 2011 Sonata has problems with the transmission as well being stuck in 4th gear. Look it up. Quite interesting. Glad I didn't buy a brand new car and went for the used one. For once in my life, being cheap paid off. :D

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
The V6 Accord had a problem with the tranny in the 2003 (new model) and 2004 cars. The 2005 and on were OK. I'm not aware of later V6 tranny issues.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
QUOTE (gbono2 @ Nov 25 2010, 12:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=374704
Finally, at 84,000 miles the valve covers started leaking causing the coils & spark plugs to foul. The gaskets were replaced under warranty, but the other cost us almost $400 to replace.
Valve covers and cover gaskets were put on cars so we would have oil leaks to deal with.

What bothers me is the secondary ignition problem - Usually oil drips down around the plugs but doesn't hurt a thing.

·
Registered
97 Posts
QUOTE (mamamia @ Nov 26 2010, 05:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=374953
The V6 Accord had a problem with the tranny in the 2003 (new model) and 2004 cars. The 2005 and on were OK. I'm not aware of later V6 tranny issues.
Yes they did. Major problems on 1998-2002 V6 Accords though. Much more so than the 2003-2004 in comparison. The transmission in the 1999-2003 Acura TL was absolutely horrific in comparison to the 2004-2008 TL.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
QUOTE (pseudomaniac @ Nov 25 2010, 06:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=374798

Beg to differ with you on this one. I cross-shopped the Honda CR-V when looking at a replacement for my '04 Santa Fe and it can't begin to compete with the current SF in quality and value-for-money. I drove both and after I bought the SF, got the chance to drive another CR-V. Boy am I glad I did not get that!! And don't get me started on Toyota. They've been riding out on their reputation for the better part of a decade; their current cars are overpriced and mediocre at best. Toyota has become the new GM; big and arrogant.

·
Registered
337 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Nov 27 2010, 06:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375181
Beg to differ with you on this one. I cross-shopped the Honda CR-V when looking at a replacement for my '04 Santa Fe and it can't begin to compete with the current SF in quality and value-for-money. I drove both and after I bought the SF, got the chance to drive another CR-V. Boy am I glad I did not get that!! And don't get me started on Toyota. They've been riding out on their reputation for the better part of a decade; their current cars are overpriced and mediocre at best. Toyota has become the new GM; big and arrogant.

lmao you hit it on the nose with that, when i was shopping for my car i checked out some used camrys an they wanted $19,000US for a 2006 V6 base with hubcap wheels with 60+K on the odo this was in mid 2008 an i went to a hyundai dealer an got my 06 sonata for $12,200 out the door with only 40k. an all the sales guy said is the name sells itself...i kept saying im buying a car not a name

·
Registered
458 Posts
QUOTE (gbono2 @ Nov 25 2010, 11:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=374704
Hi Folks & Happy Thanksgiving

We bought a new Sonata V6 in 2006. For the first 60,000 miles it was wonderful & fun to drive. We loved it. However, when it hit 60,000 miles & the bumper to bumper warranty ended, the problems & costly repairs began. The first problem occurred at 60,500 miles when the fuel pump failed. That cost us $1000. Next, the air conditioner wiring went out & that cost us $500. Then, the spring in the passenger vanity visor broke. That would have cost $100, but we opted to not have it replaced. Finally, at 84,000 miles the valve covers started leaking causing the coils & spark plugs to foul. The gaskets were replaced under warranty, but the other cost us almost $400 to replace.

At this point, we were totally disgusted with the service & quality of our car. We put it up for sale & sold it last weekend before anything else went out.

Bottom line ----- I would NEVER, EVER consider or buy another Hyundai or Kia. Nor would I recommend one of their vehicles.

Thanks for reading my rant. I feel better.
That's sad.(the bottom line, that is) We bought a new 2000 Elantra in 1999. In 2008 the Elantra had 97,500 no problem miles and it was time to look for a replacement as it was close to being out of warranty. I chose one of the last 2007 Sonata SE's still on the lot and now 42,500 miles later still no major problems (both cars had extended warranties that made them 10 year 100k bumper to bumper).I've always believed that if you do all your scheduled maintance there is no reason a vehicle should not last for a couple of hundred K miles. Little things go wrong, that's life. When it comes time to replace the Sonata, I will definately go to hyundai first.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'll take the other side of the argument in the Honda vs Hyundai discussion EVERY time. There's a reason they hold their value, and a reason you don't see 5 year old Hyundais on the used car lots at stealerships.

Were there v6 transmission issues? Yes, that first run was bad. They also replaced every one of them under warranty, regardless of miles, and them extended the trans warranty. I owned 3 of the impacted vehicles, changed trans fluid every 20k, and had no problems.

Comparing the build quality of any Hyundai built during that time, and I'll bet you'll see next to none on the road in comparison.

The new Hyundai models are much improved, but this is also a car company that hasn't had an original idea in it's history; they copy the Japanese, and do it cheaper.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (pseudomaniac @ Nov 28 2010, 06:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375245
Comparing the build quality of any Hyundai built during that time, and I'll bet you'll see next to none on the road in comparison.
That's true for now, but I bet that within 5-10 years you see many more Hyundais on the road as compared to today. The quality aspect of Hyundai has been poor in the past but this company is just beginning to be recognized as a quality manufacturer of vehicles at reasonable prices.

QUOTE (pseudomaniac @ Nov 28 2010, 06:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375245
The new Hyundai models are much improved, but this is also a car company that hasn't had an original idea in it's history; they copy the Japanese, and do it cheaper.
That's what was said about Japan in comparison with the USA just a few decades ago and look at where they are now and, sadly, where we are now. Hyundai is on a similar track with the new design of their vehicles as well, especially the 2011 Sonata and Tucson. I think we will see a very different perception of Hyundai over the next decade, similar to what happened to Japanese car makers in the 70's-80's.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts