Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There will be no more Santa Fe Sport for the 2019 model year. There will be the Santa Fe and the Santa Fe XL supposed to go on sale in August.:surprise:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No upgrade for me!

Thanks for sharing - but it's actually been in the news for months now.
I did a search and could not find a prior post. Looks like they both will have similar options. And later in the year a diesel will be available. I bought a 2018 Sport so I don't think I would be ready to upgrade. :crying2:

·
Registered
441 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
I did a search and could not find a prior post. Looks like they both will have similar options. And later in the year a diesel will be available. I bought a 2018 Sport so I don't think I would be ready to upgrade. :crying2:
I’m ready

·
Registered
389 Posts
6-year special edition; fun times!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I’m ready
I see you have a 2014...yeah...that's understandable. Of course this time of year...you can get a great 2018 deal...

We got our 2018 in January, knowing the 2019 was coming and what it would look like (as well as features). We chose the 2018 instead, since we don't care for the styling / looks of the 2019 Santa Fe (there's plenty of online discussion all over the web on the bigger new honeycomb grill and flatter side profile). We also test drove and looked at the Mazda CX5 and CX-7...and didn't care for the Mazda "pig snout" look or cheaper-looking interior.

While there are a couple of mechanical changes (2019 is the first year for a new 8-speed tranny for example, if you like adopting the first year of anything) but in the end...it comes down to personal taste.

Hope you find what you're seeking.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I see you have a 2014...yeah...that's understandable. Of course this time of year...you can get a great 2018 deal...

We got our 2018 in January, knowing the 2019 was coming and what it would look like (as well as features). We chose the 2018 instead, since we don't care for the styling / looks of the 2019 Santa Fe (there's plenty of online discussion all over the web on the bigger new honeycomb grill and flatter side profile). We also test drove and looked at the Mazda CX5 and CX-7...and didn't care for the Mazda "pig snout" look or cheaper-looking interior.

While there are a couple of mechanical changes (2019 is the first year for a new 8-speed tranny for example, if you like adopting the first year of anything) but in the end...it comes down to personal taste.

Hope you find what you're seeking.
I just bought my wife a new Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring and the interior is anything but cheap. The tech in it is incredible. We were originally looking at a X-5 and the interior is almost identical. A lot cheaper too

·
Registered
441 Posts
I just bought my wife a new Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring and the interior is anything but cheap. The tech in it is incredible. We were originally looking at a X-5 and the interior is almost identical. A lot cheaper too
Yeah...the CX-9 is indeed better quality and the Mazda snout less offensive. Big step up from the CX-5 (and even CX-7). Congrats - nice SUV. Enjoy.

Of course for that kind of money...you can buy many vehicles with higher quality interiors. I'll still take my 2018 SFS 2.0T Ultimate and all its looks, interior, and tech over any 2018 Mazda SUV though. That said...you seem to have the best of both worlds. Nice.

Not sure if I'd say that for the 2019 SF though. To me...its much more "normalized" as far as looks. Less stylish side view lines, and that honeycomb (aka "GMC style") grill is simply revolting to some folks. On the Motor Trend Facebook page...when they surveyed what people thought of the 2019 Santa Fe's looks...WOW...there were many strong negative comments.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Glad I got a 2017. I and my wife agree that the front is ugly. It has lost its natural sleek design.
Agree. Our daughter got a SFS Ultimate 2017, and ours is a 2018 Ultimate - they are very alike, with the exception of some minor tweaks/enhancements in 2018 (like BlueLink free for 3 years instead of 1 year). They both have those nice sweeping side view design lines and smooth classy grill.

In 2019...things change...a lot...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Glad I got a 2017. I and my wife agree that the front is ugly. It has lost its natural sleek design.

Glad I bought a new 2018 SFS, not a fan of the 2019's. I was looking for the best new SUV for under $20K and the 2018 SFS beat out the competition. I've had the SFS for 11 weeks and have 202 miles on her....need to drive it more.:smile:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Yeah...the CX-9 is indeed better quality and the Mazda snout less offensive. Big step up from the CX-5 (and even CX-7). Congrats - nice SUV. Enjoy.

Of course for that kind of money...you can buy many vehicles with higher quality interiors. I'll still take my 2018 SFS 2.0T Ultimate and all its looks, interior, and tech over any 2018 Mazda SUV though. That said...you seem to have the best of both worlds. Nice.

Not sure if I'd say that for the 2019 SF though. To me...its much more "normalized" as far as looks. Less stylish side view lines, and that honeycomb (aka "GMC style") grill is simply revolting to some folks. On the Motor Trend Facebook page...when they surveyed what people thought of the 2019 Santa Fe's looks...WOW...there were many strong negative comments.
I paid no where near MSRP. I actually got it cheaper than I could have got a loaded up Santa Fe for. The 14' Santa Fe used to be hers and I took it when she got the CX-9. Biggest downfall to the Hyundai's is the resale. I always sell them outright to people I know. I have had 2 Elantra's. 4 Sonata's and a Genesis

·
Registered
441 Posts
I paid no where near MSRP. I actually got it cheaper than I could have got a loaded up Santa Fe for. The 14' Santa Fe used to be hers and I took it when she got the CX-9. Biggest downfall to the Hyundai's is the resale. I always sell them outright to people I know. I have had 2 Elantra's. 4 Sonata's and a Genesis
Hmmm....they go for good $ here...even 3-4 year old SFS's. The guy across the street has a 2016 CX-7 on lease...and was telling me the other day "they will sell me mine at the end of the 36 mo lease for a few dollars over $10K"...stickered at $33.5K when he bought it. That's some serious depreciation for a Mazda.

In contrast...I have an employee with a 2014 who plans to trade on a new 2018 in about 2 weeks. His stickered for $24K new, and they'll give him $11.5K in trade, plus the rebate going on now for $3750 on an Ultimate and 0% financing. Full-featured Hyundai Santa Fe's (since 2014) have been selling at a good price point. He'll net out on a price for about 1.5K over what he paid back in 2014, with many more features on an Ultimate. Seems the SPS's hold their value pretty well.

While the Mazda's had nice SkyActive engines...all but the CX-9 road a bit stiff and the looks were a turnoff. The CX-9 I road (comparible features to a SPS 2.0T Ultimate like mine) was stickered at $40,750...more than $3K higher than my $37,250 sticker. Like you, I paid well below sticker. So I guess it comes down to personal taste, which is perfectly fine. No worries...there's plenty to choose from in SUVs these days.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hmmm....they go for good $ here...even 3-4 year old SFS's. The guy across the street has a 2016 CX-7 on lease...and was telling me the other day "they will sell me mine at the end of the 36 mo lease for a few dollars over $10K"...stickered at $33.5K when he bought it. That's some serious deprecation for a Mazda.
Hyundai dealers wanted to give us $10K for the wifes Santa Fe. Her's is as loaded as you could get in 2014 and is/was garage kept with only 30K miles on it.

As far as the Mazda CX-7 they don't make them anymore because nobody wanted them and they are an old outdated body style. So they are not going to get crap for it when they resell it. Key is to buy it cheap so when you do sell it its not a big hit. The wifes car stickered for $45K and I paid less than your neighbors CX-7 The 2014 Santa Fe stickered for over $32K so the depreciation looks just as bad seeing 3 different dealers only wanted to give us $10K. Thats why we just kept it. If the CX-9 that you test drove was $40K...that was the base model. Big difference in tech, interior, and options from the Grand Touring. No wonder it felt cheap to you.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hyundai dealers wanted to give us $10K for the wifes Santa Fe. Her's is as loaded as you could get in 2014 and is/was garage kept with only 30K miles on it.

As far as the Mazda CX-7 they don't make them anymore because nobody wanted them and they are an old outdated body style. So they are not going to get crap for it when they resell it. Key is to buy it cheap so when you do sell it its not a big hit. The wifes car stickered for $45K and I paid less than your neighbors CX-7 The 2014 Santa Fe stickered for over $32K so the depreciation looks just as bad seeing 3 different dealers only wanted to give us $10K. Thats why we just kept it. If the CX-9 that you test drove was $40K...that was the base model. Big difference in tech, interior, and options from the Grand Touring. No wonder it felt cheap to you.
Thanks for sharing - most of that makes sense....but trade-in value both varies by region of the country as well as negotiation skills.

Those values are as much determined by regional auction prices as anything else. Car guide values are guides, but actual values can be higher or lower. Also, Mazda is notorious for NOT negotiating much on their pricing.

In trading in my last vehicle...in addition to the rebates and getting below invoice, also got more than retail in KBB trade-in value. The dealer invoice does not reflect actual dealer price, which most folks don't know. Last year got a very similar deal with our daughter's 2017 SFS.

In reality, only a full-size Santa Fe vs Mazda CX-9 comparison reflects apples-to-apples. The SFS Ultimate vs CX-7 is also apples-to-apples.

In any case...on this particular thread topic...

For the 2019 Hyundai line...there will be a Santa Fe (formerly Santa Fe Sport) and Santa Fe XL (formerly the 3-row Santa Fe).

The design changes reflect the auto industry's common practice to make major design changes about every 5 years in various vehicle models.

If history is any teacher...manufacturers have nearly or completely destroyed some vehicle models during these major design change years. Sometimes sales have dropped dramatically at these times. In other cases, sales went up.

Ford trucks and some SUVs have been migrating to large grill looks. Mazda has their lattice pig snout grills.

Toyota/Lexus keep moving to bigger and bigger hour-glass front ends with monstrous hour-glass grills. The 2019 Avalon, for example, will feature a huge "vacuum-cleaner" grill (as some have called it).

What's clear is Hyundai has adopted and embraced the bigger "honey-comb" grills across their entire SUV line (even their new 8-passenger mega-SUV will have it), much like what the GMC line has historically been know for.

We'll have to see how the 2019 Santa Fe and Santa Fe XL sales fare over the next year or so with the new look.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Roof line looks like the current model Santa Fe to me. Other than the front and rear; looks like minor changes to the body itself

1 - 20 of 20 Posts