Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
its defintely nice, but seeing as how kia is positioned lower than hyundai, im guessing the interior will feel cheaper.... i personally prefer the curves of the sonata than the boxy, muscular shape of the optima

also, the back looks better than the front.

·
Registered
817 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (kton @ Aug 30 2010, 09:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=353147
its defintely nice, but seeing as how kia is positioned lower than hyundai, im guessing the interior will feel cheaper.... i personally prefer the curves of the sonata than the boxy, muscular shape of the optima

also, the back looks better than the front.
From what Ive seen across their lineup, it seems Kia is trying to turn into a Sportier or more youthful division, sort of like how Pontiac used to be the "Excitement" Division of GM.

The Optima has several hi-tech features like the Microsoft Sync (or whatever they're calling it) and factory available HIDs and LED tailights that make it appear more "hi-tech" than the Sonata.

You can see this across their entire lineup. The Forte is much sportier and more athletic looking than the Elantra. The Soul is aimed at the same market Scion and the Nissan Cube is aimed at. Even the Kia Sportage is a bit more of an exciting mini-SUV than anything Hyundai has to offer.

Im not attacking Hyundai by any means, Im merely stating that I think Kia's focus has changed from economic Korean car to a more youthful and sportier targeted brand.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Actually I think Hyundai is having troubles trying to determine which brand will target what market. I agree that it I think Kia wants to be a sport brand but at the sametime they are trying to be a luxury brand above Hyundai.

Reason I feel Kia is trying to be luxury is based on looks and content. Optima has more chrome than Sonata, has panoramic sunroof, LED tails, HID, leather stiched dash panels and doors, wood trim, memory seats, Sync type setup and looks like more goodies than Sonata. Their design is more luxury than sporty too. The new sportage has push button, and a whole bunch of goodies not found in Tucson either.

I feel Hyundai should have all the goodies that Kia shouldn't have or atleast both should have it. Makes no sense that the lower priced brand has more goods than the "luxury" brand.

·
Registered
854 Posts
QUOTE (Souks @ Aug 30 2010, 11:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=353167
Actually I think Hyundai is having troubles trying to determine which brand will target what market. I agree that it I think Kia wants to be a sport brand but at the sametime they are trying to be a luxury brand above Hyundai.

Reason I feel Kia is trying to be luxury is based on looks and content. Optima has more chrome than Sonata, has panoramic sunroof, LED tails, HID, leather stiched dash panels and doors, wood trim, memory seats, Sync type setup and looks like more goodies than Sonata. Their design is more luxury than sporty too. The new sportage has push button, and a whole bunch of goodies not found in Tucson either.

I feel Hyundai should have all the goodies that Kia shouldn't have or atleast both should have it. Makes no sense that the lower priced brand has more goods than the "luxury" brand.
For sure! When I saw it had leather stitched interior I was like what!! I love this look.

Overall nice looking car.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Kia might have something there. To bad when I looked at the Kia's the base model was so base it turned me off. To get anything near what I wanted I had to pay more then I should have.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I really hope that some of the Optima exclusive features eventually make it over to the Sonata. I mean, I guess I probably shoudlnt care because by the time they do, I will have already bought one and then I'll just be jealous...but for future buyers of the '12, '13, and so on models, I think that Microsoft Sync system would be a really nice feature to have. And of course the HIDs and LED tailights and the other features not available to the Sonata.

·
Registered
255 Posts
QUOTE (Mike Eckman @ Aug 31 2010, 10:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=353269
I really hope that some of the Optima exclusive features eventually make it over to the Sonata. I mean, I guess I probably shoudlnt care because by the time they do, I will have already bought one and then I'll just be jealous...but for future buyers of the '12, '13, and so on models, I think that Microsoft Sync system would be a really nice feature to have. And of course the HIDs and LED tailights and the other features not available to the Sonata.
Highly doubtful. Those features are probably brand exclusive and help to be the selling points over the Sonata. If anything does come over it would the LED tail lights.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I prefer the look of the Sonata to the new Optima. It does include some nice features but I just don't dig the exterior styling like I do with the Sonata.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I must say that while I'm very very impressed with the new Optima, I dislike the rims and the interior. I have no regrets about buying my Sonata at all. I'm hoping there will be more variety among cars sold now as I'm getting tired of seeing all these Sonatas in the parking lot along with mine :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
haha, every Sonata I have seen this past month and it must have been about 20 have had Enterprise Stickers on them. Too bad such a good looking car is in a rental fleet. :-(

But yeah you would think exclusive items would belong to Hyundai and not Kia especially when it's high tech or luxury items.

·
Registered
78 Posts
for the person who mentioned a luxury brand. i talked to a dealer and he said in the next few years they are dropping th dead weight veracruz and bringing it back into the new luxury brand which he said they are most likely going to be called "genesis", fittingly. then they are supposedly bringing back either a luxury version of the veracruz or using the santa fe.

as for the optima/k5..i do not like it as much as i do the sonata...thats like, liking a chevy over buick. the interior looks inferior. exterior i do like but like the sonata's luxury/sport attack more.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hehe, yeah I was 100% sure I was going to get a Sonata until I saw pictures of the Optima. Now I'm going to have to test drive the Optima before I decide. I like the look of the Optima a lot more than I do the Sonata so I have to wait and see.

·
Registered
185 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts