Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,509 Posts
The problem with pads on old rotors it may not work as well as new rotors and pads. Some pads are noisier than others due to the friction material/construction. Lubing the slides is extremely important and depending on the lube/grease that is used you get varying results.

In summary, noise indicates one or a combination of things. It may be not necessarily affect safety. I had a friend with Lexus had local shop install brakes and rotors using Napa parts. Not going to be like the original Lexus parts. After a year heard some noise when braking and bought a new Lexus. Got a little rust since vehicle sat or was washed which caused noise.

Quality parts and quality labor makes all the difference with brakes. My mechanic put pads on old rotors and it did not work. Had to get new rotors and pads to have no noise or pulsation.

· Registered
1,509 Posts
Pads are new, check installation - OK, not unsafe

Brake Rotors have rusted edge, no lube on caliper slides... Causing Noise

Only Cure; Replace pads with premium set, new rotors, lube caliper slides and pads during installation

I talked to the service guy there and he said this won't hurt my calipers but could lead to increased pad wear.

Is the noise and increased wear the only issue or is there something urgent? thanks

btw I had no idea what a caliper slide was until today
So based on his diagnosis it is safe. I can see how the shop says you need everything new. That is the only way to ensure no noise or comebacks and give a warranty.

I would be a little concerned if the slides bind due to little or no lubrication. But if you are only having noise that may diminish as the pads wear in. When I install new brake pads I break them in (bedding) like this:
https://www.cartalk.com/content/i-am-about-change-brake-pads-my

If you read the article it explains you can expect noise. The pads will be hitting that rusty ridge of the rotor. Some people grind that ridge off when installing pads to prevent noise. You may want to try some of the bedding procedure to see if it helps with noise.

· Registered
1,509 Posts
The braking with these new pads are fine the only thing I notice is the added noise. I wish I knew to have them greased... but if there are no effects besides noise I am OK with it. Do you think I can let it go until next pad/rotor change?
If it is a quick pad change they only need to remove old pads and put new ones in. You get what you pay for.

If the calipers start sticking then no. Those pins that are lubricated keep the brake pads floating freely so they will not bind. It does not seem like you are having those symptoms.

The main purpose of brakes is stopping. If you are stopping fine that is the main thing. Now if noise increases, you get pulsation in the pedal, or decreased braking I would get pads and rotors if it were mine.

· Registered
1,509 Posts
Just to play the Devil's advocate regarding lubing guide pins. I believe your original issue was pads had worn down and needed them replaced which sounded normal. Now those guide pins probably have the same amount of grease as they had before the pads were replaced. The only thing that changed was the pads and I am thinking that is the main source of the noise.

That is not to diminish the need for proper lube of those pins. I had a 94 Mazda (Ford) pick-up and it was required at 25k to lube the guide pins. I did not have a clue what they were back then. I used to lube them at 30k on my last car.

· Registered
1,509 Posts
thanks for all of the posts. I don't think the guide pins are stuck - wouldn't there be symptoms besides noise?

I think I will try and bed the pads in and if that doesn't reduce the noise I will just drive it and replace the rotors if it gets worse
The symptoms is the brake pad will stick/bind and rub rotor more. It could cause heat and in severe cases smoke.

I like your plan. May I suggest not going to Pike's Peak unless you get the full brake job. :grin2:

One last thing. I like kittens. I take car of three.

· Registered
1,509 Posts
yup my pads were about 3mm and no noise at all. Since I may sell the car soon for something more sporty I wanted to just do the pads to get me at least through the year.
That is what I thought. When you bed pads you should be able to tell how well they are stopping the car. I can deal with noise. Lack of stopping is a big concern.

Something more sporty..user name kittens...I found your next car! You just need to find $60K. :grin2:

https://www.jaguarusa.com/all-models/f-type/index.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.