Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 sonata, no drivers side low beam, no power at the headlight plug, B-2 50A fuse is good. Looking through wiring diagrams it appears the power to the bulb goes through IPS-1. Need advice on how to trace or find IPS -1. Any other advice on how to fix would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,318 Posts
I don't have the diagrams for your particular model but usually IPS (Intelligent Power Switch) is an electronic component inside the dashboard fusebox. Basically, a solid state relay. AFAIK, it's not something you can replace. You'd need to replace the complete fusebox if IPS-1 is the problem.

I've no personal experience with how the IPS works because I've never come across a late model Hyundai with a headlamp fault yet. I've dealt with faults on other makes of car that have a similar system though and the solid state relay is often used as an electronic fuse. Rather than have a physical fuse there is a current sensor in the fusebox that monitors the current flow in the circuit. If the current goes out of spec the relay automatically switches the circuit off. So no power to the headlamp probably just means there is a problem with the circuit and the IPS has switched the power off. The problem might just be a blown bulb, since that will cause the current to be out of spec. Have you tried replacing the bulb?

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
Clean socket contacts (even if they look clean)
Then check voltage at the connector
Inspect bulb .. replace as necessary
check the relays and all the fuses

·
Registered
907 Posts
The bcm controls the headlight circuit but there's no distinction between left or right.

bcm.JPG

Your best bet is to check the connector that plugs into the headlight. If you don't have any power there follow it back and see if there is a cut or distortion in the harness. If you can't find anything then follow it back to the bcm and test continuity between the bcm and the plug on the harness.

Light-Pinout_zps397d3d7c.jpg

If you don't have continuity back to the harness then you'll have to track down the culprit somewhere in between. If you do have continuity then go to the dealer and get the bcm tested, at that point it's more likely that the bcm is the culprit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts