Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2.4 L. engine w/5 speed transmission I just had overhauled. ( I am the same guy who couldn't separate trans/engine cause I had not removed the clutch lever...you remember). Anyway, I got everything back in the vehicle and am trying to find how to put new trans. oil (90W) into the tranny but can't find the "INTO" hole, I did take a bolt out where the level I think should be but the hole is not a 'hole' where I could load the new oil (it's just a bolt hole) Can some body please help me .....:crying2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
.Question about refilling manual transmission w/90W oil

There is what looks like a sensor that is only accessible by removing the transmission mount. I'll try your suggestion,,,Now I just need to know how much oil to pour... Thanks for helping the helpless........delascruces

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
First of all, you don't wanna put 90w in the trans. I think it specs 75w-90. 90w will make is shift hard and is hard on the synchronizers. I can't believe there is not a big "plug" on the front of the transmission... and NOT on the top. You're looking for a big bolt on the side next to the radiator. You fill it till it spills out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I suggest you stop in at your local parts store and see if they have a manual for your year and model. Much easier to work on something with pictures and instructions.

I'm surprised that Hyundai is using gear oil in manual transmissions. As far back as the mid-1970s Toyota was using Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) in manual transmissions. I owned a new 1981 Dodge full-size pickup with a 4-speed manual and it used ATF too. The owner's manual for the truck indicated that if the gear noise was objectionable you could drain and replace the ATF with gear oil or higher single viscosity motor oil like 30, 40 or 50 weight detergent motor oil. There was a fill plug and drain plug on the side of the case, one above the other toward the back of the transmission.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Here is a suggestion for filling. Use a hose and funnel. Submerge the gear oil container in a bucket of very hot water and let it sit until the container is almost too hot to hold onto. Then clip the snout so that you don't have to wait all night for the oil to come out of the container. Pour hot oil into funnel. Watch filler hole closely. When oil begins to come out of the hole stop filling and remove the tube from the hole. Hopefully the funnel isn't full of oil. Screw in the plug by hand and then snug it with a wrench. Doesn't need a lot of force as the threads are likely a pipe type that are self sealing. Don't use thread sealant as you don't want that stuff in the transmission, especially after a rebuild.
I am surprised the rebuilder didn't recommend ATF. Then if it is too noisy change to heavier weight oil. ATF is really an excellent lubrication choice considering that it lasts 100,000+ miles in an automatic transmission.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
There is a FILL plug on the case,, how you think we fill them with oil after clutch replace ??

If I recall, the plug is on driver side of case, near where the left axle goes into drive unit.. 17mm hex if I remember

Oil,,,,,,,, DO NOT USE GL-5 oil... walk into local Hyundai dealer and get the right oil for the trans,, part number end with "-00020B",, GL-4 M/T oil,, smart part person should know exactly what you want

1 - 8 of 8 Posts