Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2011 Sonata Hybrid, and with the colder weather now, I just noticed that when on EV mode, ice cold air comes out of the vents. The engine is fully warmed up and when the engine is on, warm air is coming out. However, the moment the engine cuts (such as stop and go traffic), the air cools down for about 10 seconds, and then it's ice cold coming through the vents. The moment the engine goes back on, hot air instantly starts coming out. My temporary workaround is to keep the defroster on so the engine stays on, but this isn't a permanent solution by any means.

Does the hybrid version of this car have an electric coolant pump to keep hot coolant circulating when the engine cuts?

Is there an electric heater in this car, and if so, is there a fuse I can check? I haven't been able to identify it in the fuse boxes in the cabin and under the hood.

Could this be related to blend vents being stuck and rather than taking in warm engine bay air, just taking in cold outside air? Although this is probably not the case since I still hot air when the engine is on.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Definitely sounds like something is not quite right. I've had the 2011 HSH since it first came out and I find I get heat relatively quickly even with a cold engine and when the car is warmed up, even in EV mode, you will still get heat. Not sure that there is any electric heater, though. But it does start throwing heat rather quickly.

I'd recommend going to the dealer if the car is still under warranty (depending on miles, you could be close).

In the mean time, if you turn the temperature all the way up (to the last notch clockwise), while in Auto mode, then the engine (ICE) will stay on while you are stopped in order to generate heat, instead of going into EV mode. It must be the highest temp setting otherwise it is just normal automatic. Once the car starts moving it returns to using EV just as normal...this is just a unique feature for a dead stop with demand for heat to run the ICE.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I also am an original 2011 owner and the heat is always blowing hot in EV mode, even in single digit temps. The blower starts blowing fairly warm air rather quickly when the engine is cold, so there may be an electric heater too, but I am not sure.

·
Registered
168 Posts
On my 2014, until the engine and coolant has warmed up enough, each time the vehicle goes into EV mode in cold weather, the engine temp gauge will drop and the air coming out of the vents cools noticeably with each cycle. Once the engine has built sufficient heat throughout the system, this stops and both the temp gauge and air temps remain consistent.

·
Registered
59 Posts
On my 2014, until the engine and coolant has warmed up enough, each time the vehicle goes into EV mode in cold weather, the engine temp gauge will drop and the air coming out of the vents cools noticeably with each cycle. Once the engine has built sufficient heat throughout the system, this stops and both the temp gauge and air temps remain consistent.
I observed the same behavior on my 2011.

I usually let the engine warm up before turning on the heat. It usually takes about 4 km of mixed driving at temp. -20°c to feel some warmth.

·
Registered
504 Posts
i had 2011 hybrid as well, this does sound like it has to be taken to dealer, thou if warranty is out, i would not take it to a dealer shop.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
What is the fix for this issue?
It's the auxiliary heater, by the firewall near the ABS module. Read through my thread about it. They replaced the wrong pump at first, and then replaced the correct pump all under warranty. I have heat in EV mode after the repair was made. By the way, that pump, if purchased from the dealer, is over $900!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts