Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello new to the forum here

Last night my mom was driving home and the headlights wouldn't come on just the side markers.The high beams would only work if holding them on.They did come back on after messing with the switch(turning it on and off).All three wires at the bulbs had power and the fuses are fine so what gives? Today I saw Hyundai conveniently has relays on the backside of the fuse box.When turning the light switch to the first position I can hear a relay click that sounds like it's by the fuse box but can't feel it click.I figured out the other relays back there,fog lamps,power locks turn signal etc except one which is right below the power lock relay.And of course trying to take the relay out the cover broke and the relay is still stuck in there.Wanted to pull it to confirm it's for the headlights so I ended up spraying some contact cleaner in there since the cover was off.I wrapped electrical tape around the broken cover and pushed back on.Is that the relay for the headlights and would it cause the headlights to not come on or is there a control module somewhere that might have more relays inside of it that's for the headlights? So far their working now but what caused them to not turn on in the first place?.Thanks

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,323 Posts
Is that the relay for the headlights and would it cause the headlights to not come on
No & No.

Mike76 said:
or is there a control module somewhere that might have more relays inside of it that's for the headlights?
No.

Mike76 said:
So far their working now but what caused them to not turn on in the first place?.
A problem with the switch would be my guess.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So is that relay just for the parking lamps than? There has to be a relay(s) for the headlights. Is there somewhere to download the service manual hopefully for free for this car? Thanks again

·
Registered
8,184 Posts
I've had luck with MFS in the past by taking them out and giving a good soaking with WD40 or some other cleaner/lube spray. Then work all the functions many times before installing back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There aren't any headlamp relays, which is probably why you have a problem with the switch.
UPDATE

There is relays for the low and high beams they're at the base of the switch.I was looking online for a replacement switch and saw there was relays that are part of the switch assembly.The low and high beam relays are mechanical that's why you don't hear them click when turning them on.So I used some emery cloth and Deoxit and so far it's been working fine now.

Attachments

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,323 Posts
There is relays for the low and high beams
Actually, there isn't.

Mike76 said:
I was looking online for a replacement switch and saw there was relays that are part of the switch assembly.
What your looking at is the contacts of the switch itself. It would be kinda pointless to fit a relay inside the switch.

Mike76 said:
So I used some emery cloth and Deoxit and so far it's been working fine now.
Good job! I'm happy to hear it was a cheap, simple fix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts