Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good morning. I have a 2004 XG350L with about 160k. It recently had another 60k service at Hyundai about 1-2 months ago. This car has never broke down on me and up to this point has always run great. The trans has always shifted smoothly. No issues at all.

The problem:
I was driving home from work the other day when I attempted to pass someone. As the car kicked into a lower gear to pass it sounded louder and rougher than usual, like the switch to a lower gear was rough, not smooth as usual.

I immediately noticed my RPMs rise and the car was losing speed, the engine check light came on as well. I coasted it to the side of the road and that is when I realized the trans was not engaging any forward gears. It would not come out of 3rd gear but it would not engage either. Press the gas and nothing. I shut off the car and started it back up and now it will switch from 1st to 2nd but still nothing. The RPMs rise but no response at all from the trans.

I then discovered that reverse works fine.

I towed the car home and replaced both the input and output speed sensors on the transmission but that did not help. I'll also note that the fluid is nice and clean/pink and does not smell burnt.

Other than taking it to a shop...does anyone have any ideas?

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
Need to scan it and let us know what codes you have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not have a scanner. Do you recommend a budget friendly scanner that works good with this car? I can buy one and then run it.

Thanks!

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
I do not have a scanner. Do you recommend a budget friendly scanner that works good with this car? I can buy one and then run it.

Thanks!
Most local parts stores do it free. Take pen and paper to write down codes and descriptions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car can not be driven; so I cannot take it to have the codes ran. I will either buy a scanner or tow it to a shop I suppose.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts