Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a state that requires a front license plate.

Apparently car was so new off the lot the dealer had no had time to put in the license plate bracket (which usually necessitates drilling of holes into front bumper).

I would like to hear some options on a no-drill option to install front license plate/bracket.

Not installing front plate at all or installing in tow hook is not an option.

I was thinking some adhesive but concerns over time of plate falling off (I live in cold weather area)

Zip ties, etc.?

Thanks

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T; ‘22 Tucson Limited 2.5
2,010 Posts
Why fight it? The location of the front plate does not “spoil the look” like it does on some vehicles.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
we just got a 2021 elantra hybrid, and it came with front plate bracket that fits perfect. i think your dealer is just being lazy. if the front plate held up the sale, i guarantee you it would appear very quickly. and whatever you use, make sure it is removeable, not permanent

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
My question was trying to avoid drilling to the front bumper, not the location of the plate. I know I'm being too picky

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Take the bumper cover off and glue some super magnets to the back where the plate would sit?

What ever you do it will mess up the paint where the plate will sit.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Good on your dealer and good on you for not drilling the bumper. That is a huge pet peeve of mine. I have run without front plates on a Vette since I purchased it so many years ago it would give away my age, and while I've been pulled over twice, it was simply mentioned and with a batt of my eyelashes I was on my way. Its rarely an enforced law unless you're being a real jerk to the police officer, and its a $10 fix-it ticket in my state at least where you simply pay the fine and show a picture that your vehicle has it on.

My suggestion would be to just go without one until the brand new Tucson aftermarket has had time to make a no-drill plate kit. Most cars have them, but while waiting you may see your law enforcement simply doesn't care. Heck, in Houston in the poorer neighborhoods 90% of vehicles have fake paper plates, so no front plate is the least of their concerns.
Take the bumper cover off and glue some super magnets to the back where the plate would sit? What ever you do it will mess up the paint where the plate will sit.
Even something as simple as protective painters tape or clear bra type material would likely prevent that scuffing concern.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I have until mid July (when my temp tags expire).

I'll try to figure out a way before then.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Good on your dealer and good on you for not drilling the bumper. That is a huge pet peeve of mine. I have run without front plates on a Vette since I purchased it so many years ago it would give away my age, and while I've been pulled over twice, it was simply mentioned and with a batt of my eyelashes I was on my way. Its rarely an enforced law unless you're being a real jerk to the police officer, and its a $10 fix-it ticket in my state at least where you simply pay the fine and show a picture that your vehicle has it on.

My suggestion would be to just go without one until the brand new Tucson aftermarket has had time to make a no-drill plate kit. Most cars have them, but while waiting you may see your law enforcement simply doesn't care. Heck, in Houston in the poorer neighborhoods 90% of vehicles have fake paper plates, so no front plate is the least of their concerns.

Even something as simple as protective painters tape or clear bra type material would likely prevent that scuffing concern.
The police might turn a blind eye to a missing front license plate, but some government facilities might not allow the vehicle onto the premises. That's been my experience anyway.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
My “batting eyes” don’t work anymore, if they ever did.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The police might turn a blind eye to a missing front license plate, but some government facilities might not allow the vehicle onto the premises. That's been my experience anyway.
True, some may have special circumstances. Even then, you could probably grab a couple license plate suction cups that pop into the top plate holes and throw it up on the front glass on those rare occasions.

BTW, if throwing it on the front glass temporarily with the bottom tucked onto the dash, I was just reminded I bought these silicon plate frames for the truck (not this brand but look just like it): https://www.amazon.com/Ohuhu-Accessories-Rust-Proof-Rattle-Proof-Weather-Proof/dp/B07T1J2CDC/

I use them outside the vehicle, but are squishy and prevent rattling or scratching that could otherwise occur to your dash/glass.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i emailed a Hyundai in Canada because on there YouTube video's they have license plates on there cars i got a reply ten minutes later here is what they said.
Hello Leonard,

I hope all is well out in your piece of the world, thank you for watching our videos!

In Canada, and maybe more specifically in Ontario there is a black plastic plate that fits into the grill/bumper, and then you just screw the plate onto that. On the black plastic you will see very small indentations to show where the screws go and then use a drill or screwdriver (with a little extra effort) to drive it into the plastic.

I am not sure if it is different in the US. In some Provinces they do not require a front plate so they would not have any of the stuff I listed above.

If you're buying from a new Hyundai dealership I would imagine they would be more than ready to have it setup the correct way for you though. That way you will not need to mess around with it yourself.

Thanks for contacting us and if you have any other questions please let me know.
Murray Gentles
Marketing Manager
Lauria Hyundai
(905) 885-8154
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
i emailed a Hyundai in Canada because on there YouTube video's they have license plates on there cars i got a reply ten minutes later here is what they said.
Hello Leonard,

I hope all is well out in your piece of the world, thank you for watching our videos!

In Canada, and maybe more specifically in Ontario there is a black plastic plate that fits into the grill/bumper, and then you just screw the plate onto that. On the black plastic you will see very small indentations to show where the screws go and then use a drill or screwdriver (with a little extra effort) to drive it into the plastic.

I am not sure if it is different in the US. In some Provinces they do not require a front plate so they would not have any of the stuff I listed above.

If you're buying from a new Hyundai dealership I would imagine they would be more than ready to have it setup the correct way for you though. That way you will not need to mess around with it yourself.

Thanks for contacting us and if you have any other questions please let me know.
Murray Gentles
Marketing Manager
Lauria Hyundai
(905) 885-8154
[email protected]
Yes, the black plastic plate mount bracket gets screwed into the bumper.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata N-Line
171 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have run without front plates on a Vette since I purchased it so many years ago it would give away my age, and while I've been pulled over twice, it was simply mentioned and with a batt of my eyelashes I was on my way. Its rarely an enforced law unless you're being a real jerk to the police officer.
OP: Sometime you don't have the opportunity to bat an eye or be a jerk. My new car was parked on the street not 4 hours before it was ticketed for the missing front plate while I was inside.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata N-Line
171 Posts
OP: Sometime you don't have the opportunity to bat an eye or be a jerk. My new car was parked on the street not 4 hours before it was ticketed for the missing front plate while I was inside.
Here in Washington State most missing front plate citations are issued by parking enforcement folks. Low hanging fruit as in most jurisdictions the fine is at least $125. I was pulled over recently for having a smoked rear license plate cover and issued a warning. The officer didn't cite me for not having a front plate displayed :rolleyes: Go figure that one ;)

·
Registered
2021 Sonata N-Line
171 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts