4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ISSUE RESOLVED: Changed Crank Position Sensor

Car:
2000 Accent
1.5 SOHC 12V
Manual Tran.

Problem:
Car will not start when engine is warm, waiting for engine to cool(20-25 min) will usually resolve the issue.

So, over the last 2-3 months the car has been acting as above, Ie drive to the mall, shop, come out, car wont start. For the first little while simpley jumping it would allow the car to start (wouldnt start from the push but afterward the car would start with key) then it would be fione for the rest of the day/ couple of days. this has been getting worse as of late and now jpush starts dont help at all, only waiting would work then the car again would start fine for the rest of the day.

Recently (yesturday) i had the car out and it did its typical no starting after being driven, waiting my 30 mins or so, started it fine again, however this time i only got about 1 mile and the car quit in traffic, something its never done before, after sitting in traffic for about 20 mins it fired back up and again i only got about 1-2 miles when it quit again, luckily i was smart and took the less traveled roads just in case. this time i decided to test for spark, which there was none from either of the coils (tested all 4 plugs).

After reading this forum fairly thoroughly i have a couple of idea's as what it could be but am uncertain as to what to try because the other problems are different as to when the car start, most people seem to be having trouble when the engine is cold, whereas mine will fire no problem the first time everytime, no matter the outside temp or weather conditions.

After speaking with a local mechanic team (they do a T.V show here) they suggest to replace the Coil packs and possibley check the wiring harness as it comes over the tranny, however mines doesnt come over the tranny, but anyway.

Basically is it possible for the CKP(crank pos sensor) to be intermittent like that (ive asked a few peoiple that said when they get bad there is no intermittent stuff just no fire at all) and or the same question for the coil packs.

I am open to any other suggestions you may have, i just dont want to buy parts i may not have too due to the prices in question (100 each for the 2 coil packs, 145 for the CKP both prices taken from the cheapest store i could find here.)

As a side note where is the ecu located in these (havent looked yet) incase i can get my hands on a scanner somehow.

Thanks in advance
Thry

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Crank position sensor or coil packs would give you a check engine light. If it starts when it's cold, then doesn't start once it's warm, then maybe it's a grounding issue like the mechanics thought. I'm starting to think a lot of common Hyundai problems are caused by either poor grounding or poor positive battery cable connections. Another possiblility is you have a fuel restriction. When it the last time you changed the fuel filter?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok heres an update:

Got a good price opn a mate to my car, so i have changed the coil packs and that did not resolve the issue.

As to the fuel filter, its bran newish, i put a new one on about 6 months ago.
As a side note to that there is fuel to the sysytem and the fuel pump is audable on key click,. the problem lies where in that there is no fire on any plugs when this is happening.

Also i have just noticed tyhat when it is about to quit i do get a CEL.

·
Registered
550 Posts
A bad ground is a bad ground regardless of cold or hot conditions it's dampness that affects grounds !!!!!!. If you look at some of the problems with the 1.6 ltr engines you will see that they too have had the same problems and they too have also had no cel light come on either. What is happening is that one of the sensors is tripping once it is hot, look at either the MAP or Crank sensors. As you have already said you noticed the electrical current was not reaching the coils when hot how can it then be the coils if the power is not reaching them ?. It's not a ground issue nor is it the coils, check the ohms on both the crank and map senors when the car is warm and when it's cold . :thumbsup:

Good Luck , Accent Sport.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok sounds good im going to have a look at the manuals and figure out what im looking for with the ohm and also the location of the map sensor cause i know where the ckp is but not the map.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I know that the Map sensor on the 1.6ltr is located on the intake manifold facing the front of the car it is black plastic with two 10mm bolts mounting it and one connector. Yours maybe in the same place as well. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok i got my hands on an obdII meter and checked it, and as i figured along with some of you guys saying, that it was the crank sensor, took me all of about 10 mins to change it and havent had a problem with it since. altho its back to doing what it used to and dieing once in the morning when you first start it, but it always fires right back up and is ready to go, i assume the fuel pump is getting bad and its loosing its prime but not that big of a deal now cause i found another cranksensor at a junk yard and am putting it in my scrap car today and thats all i needed to get that on the road as well so now i have a 2000 1.5 3 dr 5 spd, and a 2000 1.5 4 dr auto :p not bad :)

Thankls to everyone that helped out on this thread, and it can now be closed as resolved :)

Thanks again,
Thry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts