Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a 2010 accent GS with a no crank, no start issue. It started a few days ago where the car died mid crank. It is not an engine problem as I have a manual transmission and can bump start the car and still drive around no problem. Its just starting with the key that doesn't work.

So my first guess is a problem with the starter or something in the ignition system. I got a new battery recently so that shouldn't be the problem and I have enough juice to run the car when bump starting to power all the electronics. I also got the battery tested at autozone and it passed. I also tried to jumpstart the car with no luck.

Strangely enough when I went to autozone, they had a machine to diagnose starters and their machine said it worked/passed their check test though the guy later told me it only tests the mechanical side of the starter, not the solenoid. So theoretically, it could be a good starter with a bad solenoid. I know it could be a number of small things as well, like the starter relay (which clicks everytime I turn the key to start it, though I did replace it with no luck), the clutch safety switch, the ignition switch or anything in between like connectors and wires and such but could those things really just go bad suddenly?

I have a feeling its the starter motor but its hard to reach and expensive so rather not go through the work if it might not even solve the problem. Any suggestions on troubleshooting this issue? I don't have a test light or power probe which seem like common diagnose tools for a problem like this but I'll buy ones if I have too, but I rather not if I don't have to at this moment. Trying to save money.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,953 Posts
Any suggestions on troubleshooting this issue?
Yeah, here is something that's quick and easy and doesn't really require any tools....try a bypass test on the START relay :

Make sure the gearbox is in neutral
Switch the ignition on then remove the START relay from the engine bay fusebox
Now use a short link wire to link the two terminals of the relay socket on the fusebox as shown below
If the engine cranks you know the starter, battery and the wiring to the starter motor are all good
If it doesn't crank but you get a little flash from the relay socket when you insert the link it's "probably" a faulty starter motor.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,597 Posts
To rule out starter, put wire to solenoid terminal
Take other end of wire and touch to battery positive
Engine should crank
If not then check power wire to starter for 12 volts
If it has 12 volts then probably bad starter

Sometimes one can get the starter to work one more time
With someone turning the key to crank, firmly tap starter (do not overkill)
It will sometimes loosen the brushes and engine will crank (not always)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Change your Crankshaft Position Sensor. They cost almost nothing compared to a starter. Paid mine 20-30$ on eBay, received it in a week, take it to my mechanic, 30 minutes and done. My car now start (I had the same issue for a year). I did every repair I could and then only the starter or the CPS could have been the cause. Could have been the engine too, but let's don't think about that cause that would mean to get a new car !

So try to talk with your mechanic about the CPS. It will probably fix your problem since it fixed mine and I was getting the same issues that you do.

Jordan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts