Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m having issues with my 2006 sonata 3.3l. Was overheating and losing water. Checked for codes and got a camshaft sensor code, replaced it. Car still wouldn’t start so we hooked it up again to check the codes, and no codes came up. We figure the fuel pump was the issue so we pulled it and the gas coming out of the pump was black, almost like a charcoal canister or something broke inside. We replaced the entire fuel pump assembly and it still will not start. I am at a loss. We have replaced the starter, ac compressor, serpitine belt, and the distributor in the past. All new plugs and wires and oil has been changed along with the filter very recently.

·
Registered
8,184 Posts
Did they clean out the tank? Black gas would be contaminated fuel my guess. The canister may be bad and pumping the carbon into the gas tank. But this would take an over fill condition as the canister vent hose should be near the top of the filler pipe, or the tank has got o be full to the very top and flood the canister.

If that's the case the entire fuel system needs cleaned from tank to fuel injectors.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
I’m having issues with my 2006 sonata 3.3l. Was overheating and losing water. Checked for codes and got a camshaft sensor code, replaced it. Car still wouldn’t start so we hooked it up again to check the codes, and no codes came up.

What happened to the code? They don't just disappear. Did you disconnect the battery?

We figure the fuel pump was the issue so we pulled it

You didn't test the fuel system?

and the gas coming out of the pump was black, almost like a charcoal canister or something broke inside.

Did you check the tank for pellets?

We replaced the entire fuel pump assembly and it still will not start. I am at a loss. We have replaced the starter, ac compressor, serpitine belt, and the distributor in the past. All new plugs and wires and oil has been changed along with the filter very recently.
Overheating....possible head gasket....Do you know if you are missing spark or fuel? Mechanical timing.
I would advise doing some testing and not just throw parts at it.
See if you fuel pump is running....if so, check pressure.
Check for spark.
Many things it could be.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts