Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2017 Sonata which still has the CD player. But the '18 Sonata does not. Trim level doesn't matter.
Are any of you missing the lack of CD player? I have a lot of CDs. I know you can copy them to a thumb drive but that takes so much time. And often the files have to be renamed and divided into folders.
I think I'd miss the CD player if i bought a new Sonata.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,598 Posts
Looks like a lot of the 2018-2019 models will not have a CD standard
KIA does not offer it in the Optima or Stinger
Toyota does not offer it standard on the Civic or Camry, you can upgrade the audio and get a CD
Honda does not offer it
BMW and MBZ no CD

I dont think Ive used a CD player in the last 4-5 yr in a car

·
Registered
3,730 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
I haven't bought a CD in years and the old ones I did have likely wound up in the trash and I just bought the album again for like $5 on Google play. With Apple Car play and Android auto plus Sirius, HD radio, etc I am already overloaded with ways to listen to music. I am GLAD there is no CD slot. It's like buying a used car with a cassette slot, I mean phone holder port.

·
Registered
2018 Sonata Limited 2.0T (Mfg:11/09/17)
394 Posts
OH NO!!

First they took my 8-track, then my cassette, then my AM stereo. And now my CD player??? What am I going to do with all my 'How To Win Friends and Influence People' and 'Guy Lombardo' library?????:surprise:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
This has been a long time coming.
Discless head units showed up years ago in the aftermarket arena so it makes perfect sense that the OEM suppliers are following suit.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
It's hard to find places that sell CDs anymore, except the used market. Then you just copy it to your phone, Amazon library or a USB.

The put the CD in the trunk with the spare tire.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well now. Im certainly glad I was able to entertain y'all with my old man way of thinking.
Whippersnappers! LOL

·
Registered
59 Posts
I know you can copy them to a thumb drive but that takes so much time. And often the files have to be renamed and divided into folders.
I think I'd miss the CD player if i bought a new Sonata.
itunes for Windows is my preferred way to organize my music as it will rename files and organize them into artist then album folders. After that I make a car copy of my files in a different location and put numbers in front of album titles to make them play chronologically instead of alphabetically.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'll have all of you know, the fact that I can't play the CDs I haven't digitized yet and never play anyway because I don't care about them ruffles my feather or two!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Well now. Im certainly glad I was able to entertain y'all with my old man way of thinking.
Whippersnappers! LOL
My kid has a few favorite CDs and is ready to listen to them every day on the way from school. So, you don't have to be that old to miss CDs.
So, in this regard, I am glad I have 2016, and not 2018.

I have many digital albums, but I haven't digitized any of my CDs: I am too lazy. Well, actually, I did, maybe a dozen or so many years ago, (when the kid was a baby), and those files were lost on the iPod when that one died.

·
Registered
333 Posts
My kid has a few favorite CDs and is ready to listen to them every day on the way from school. So, you don't have to be that old to miss CDs.
So, in this regard, I am glad I have 2016, and not 2018.

I have many digital albums, but I haven't digitized any of my CDs: I am too lazy. Well, actually, I did, maybe a dozen or so many years ago, (when the kid was a baby), and those files were lost on the iPod when that one died.
If they were on an IPOD, they might be on iTunes, which you could transfer them over... or not.

·
Registered
214 Posts
If they were on an IPOD, they might be on iTunes, which you could transfer them over... or not.
Converting some of those CDs using iTunes was a big mistake in the first place.
iTunes (at least on Windows) is very mediocre. It works only if you are in the "i" (aka Apple) ecosystem (I am not). It saves the audio files with cryptic file names, so, you'd have hard time figuring out which file contains which song/album. The interface is not the most intuitive, and has bad ergonomics. There is no way to export the audio files to other formats (from iTunes).
(That was 4-6 years ago. I don't know if anything has changed in the past 4 years.)

Not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have avoided apple anything since the Iphone 4. My iphone 4s worked perfectly and apple went and did updates to essentially brick it. (Made it run insanely slow) At that time the iphone 6 was out and I moved over to Android. Apple is dead to me.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts