Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite many posts here where I have asked for help with this problem on my Hyundai santa fe 2,4 2002 (Swedish model) I think maybe I have asked too specific questions, so now I wanna know what could cause this?

Things I have checked:
Fuses, works and tested with multimeter.

Relays, works and tested with voltage from battery and multimeter.

Wiring, continuity through wires all the way through to rheostat and ground, checked between multiple connectors.

Rheostat: works fine, put voltage on connector E30 pin 12 (drl connector) and lights light up and dimmer can adjust brightness.

Can't find a solution and the car is not legally allowed to be driven atm due to other non electrical issues so can't take it to a mechanic.

·
Registered
12,120 Posts
Rheostat: works fine, put voltage on connector E30 pin 12 (drl connector) and lights light up and dimmer can adjust brightness.
Right, so there is not voltage on pin 12 then, but the dash illumination works when you supply pin 12 with power.
So looking back at the circuit diagrams you've posted in your other threads they show that pin 12 of the DRL module gets it's power from Fuse 28, which is one of the tail light fuses....see below. Have you checked fuse 28? Is the fuse being supplied with voltage when the tail lamps are switched on?

·
Registered
12,120 Posts
OK, so now you need to measure the voltage at the other points in the circuit until you find where the voltage disappears. According to the diagram EM04 terminal 3 is the next point in the cicuit, followed by M40 terminal 1.

A voltmeter isn't really the best tool for this type of fault because a voltmeter doesn't load the circuit. Personally I would rather use a test light for this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
According to the diagram EM04 terminal 3 is the next point in the cicuit
I don't have anything in terminal 3 since I have a DRL module, so the power goes through terminal 4 if I understand it correctly, and there I have no voltage because E30-12 doesn't feed anything to it. So voltage doesnt get past E30-12 but feeds with no problem through E30 10 and 11.

·
Registered
12,120 Posts
I don't have anything in terminal 3
Ah, OK. It should really specify on the diagram that there is no terminal 3 if the car is equipped with DRL. Like it does on the diagram below.

According to this diagram EM04 terminal 4 isn't supplied with power from the DRL module. It shows the power coming from the engine bay fusebox.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I am very confused about these diagrams, on one it says power is going through the drl, and on the one you linked its going through E/R-E.

·
Registered
12,120 Posts
Well, I'm in the UK so my diagram will likely be showing a European model (like yours). Autozone is in the USA, so they're diagram will probably showing a North American model. Maybe that's why there is a difference.

What colour are the two wires on EM04 terminal 4 on your car? My diagram says one is red and the other is green/orange but the other diagram you posted shows them both as green/orange. Maybe that will give us a clue about how your car is wired.

Unfortunately here in the UK the MK1 Santa Fe didn't have DRLs so I'm not sure how the circuit actually works. And now that I think about it your asking for help with the dash illumination but I don't think you actually said whether the DRLs themselves are working or not?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What colour are the two wires on EM04 terminal 4 on your car?
They're both green/orange on mine.

And now that I think about it your asking for help with the dash illumination but I don't think you actually said whether the DRLs themselves are working or not?
I think they are working, when i start the car with lightswitch off I still have headlights on, when I turn it to on there is no difference.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tested continuity between rheostat and em04 which is fine, but I have continuity from all three pins and also continuity from all three pins to ground..

Is that an issue? , cause it works when I hook up power straight from the battery.. And because I'm getting no voltage at em04 pin 4 the issue must be before that right?

·
Registered
12,120 Posts
when i start the car with lightswitch off I still have headlights on
With the engine running and the light switch off, do the tail lights illuminate too or just the head lights?

How long have you owned the Santa Fe. Has it had this dash illumination fault since you've owned it?

Is that an issue?
No, there will be continuity through the dash illumination bulbs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tail lights are on aswell.

I got this car for free just a few months ago because the owner had too many project cars on his lawn and his wife wanted him to get rid of some. As far as I know they didnt work for him and when he drove it he just put a little led light infront of the dash.

·
Registered
12,120 Posts
OK, I'm not 100% sure how this circuit is "supposed" to work but I can suggest a quick way to get the dash illumination working.

Looking at the first diagram I posted (from Autozone) you can see that terminal 9 of the DRL module should be supplied with +12V when the tail lamps are switched on. If you confirm that is correct on your car all you need to do is cut the wire off terminal 12 and splice it onto the wire at terminal 9. That will then supply power to the dash illumination bulbs whenever the tail lights are switched on. I think that will cure your problem. Not a fix exactly but a work around.

When cutting the terminal 12 wire cut it an inch or two back from the connector so there is enough wire left on the connector for you to rejoin the cut if things don't go to plan. But from what I see on the diagram the work around should solve the problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah yes that is supplied with power when tail lights are on, I'll try that when I get home. Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
546 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I got a tip from another forum that it could be due to a bad light sensor. Since I guess the drl uses some kind of sensor to determine if it's light or dark out.

Found two black caps near the windshield, popped open both and only one has a connector to it. According to the connector I think its a Photo Sensor, could this have something to do with the drl? The bigger cap is an auto light sensor which I dont have.

Edit: Found that the photo sensor has something to do with the A/C module so doubt that's the reason

·
Registered
12,120 Posts
I guess the drl uses some kind of sensor to determine if it's light or dark out.
No, it doesn't. It uses the headlamps to know when it's dark. The DRLs switch off when you switch the headlamps on, which you usually only do when it's dark.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts