Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded my 2018 Value Tuscon for a 2021 LIMITED. I hated the color of the Value (Maroon) and my dealership told me when I was shopping for a car for my daughter that my car would not get the trade it should because it had been in an accident (I was rear ended- not at fault- and because it went through insurance it now had a CARFAX) so when they called me looking for me to trade because they needed inventory I made the deal. For $30 more a month I got the color I wanted and a higher trim. What could go wrong ????

Unbeknownst to me, there is no back up warning (beeps). I had become so used to the backup camera AND the beeps that 2 months in I backed into a car at my work. It will cost 3K to fix a small dent and a crack in the covering of the bumper.......... How can a higher model have less features? I purposely asked if I would have all the same features and was assured yes. When you see rear back up system on your list of specs you think it is the same but it isn't.

So if you are thinking of a 2019 or later Tuscon be aware there is no warning system for backing up AND check every spec with a fine tooth comb. I hope I can at least save someone else the heartache and $.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Can this be verified by anyone else with a '21 Limited??? Doesn't make sense that safety items are deleted...Have you contacted your dealer about this?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have a 2021 Ultimate with the Parking Distance Warning Sensors. There is a disable button in the centre console, make sure it is not activated. Also, if you don't have this button I would say you don't have the feature.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I just traded my 2018 Value Tuscon for a 2021 LIMITED. I hated the color of the Value (Maroon) and my dealership told me when I was shopping for a car for my daughter that my car would not get the trade it should because it had been in an accident (I was rear ended- not at fault- and because it went through insurance it now had a CARFAX) so when they called me looking for me to trade because they needed inventory I made the deal. For $30 more a month I got the color I wanted and a higher trim. What could go wrong ????

Unbeknownst to me, there is no back up warning (beeps). I had become so used to the backup camera AND the beeps that 2 months in I backed into a car at my work. It will cost 3K to fix a small dent and a crack in the covering of the bumper.......... How can a higher model have less features? I purposely asked if I would have all the same features and was assured yes. When you see rear back up system on your list of specs you think it is the same but it isn't.

So if you are thinking of a 2019 or later Tuscon be aware there is no warning system for backing up AND check every spec with a fine tooth comb. I hope I can at least save someone else the heartache and $.
It is there. Check your settings and see if it is activated. May be turned off.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Pretty sure 2021 US models do not have it. Mine doesn’t and I haven’t found anything saying it does.
I do have to apologize! The US model does not have the backup distance feature. It is standard on the Canadian models. The US models opted for the TPMS in lieu of the warning? I have posted previously in regards to the mysteries of the differences in the Cdn model over the US models in regard to options & colors. Not sure why Hyundai feels this is necessary. They are one of the very few that do this?
Also the Ultimate in Canada comes with the 19" wheel & tire pkg and in the US that pkg is on the Sport? The US also offers more color choices than here in Canada?

Sorry if I created more confusion in this regard but I do remember discussing this in earlier posts with "MissouriMule".

Maybe the 2022 will sort all of this out. I know we complained to Hyundai about the memory seats in the top model and it is now been added along with a much better sound system.

Progress takes time and develops from input from those who drive the vehicles.;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Even my 2010 ford fusion has a back-up alarm!! I know how it is to get use to things,I have a 2018 sonata with lane change alarms and I miss that driving the Fusion. I miss the nighttime cornering lamps I had on my 2001 Buick century!

·
Registered
2020 Tucson Ultimate AWD
17 Posts

I have a brand new 2020 Tucson Ultimate and from what I can tell, there is no audible beep when backing up, I read somewhere that it was discontinued and the surround camera view took its place, so far that appears to be true.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I believe that the 2019, 2020, and 2021 Tucson models are identical except for the year on the title.

I regret to say that my 2019 Ultimate Htrac did not have back-up sensors. And inexplicably the Canadian models have it. Offhand I don’t know there are any factory additions that would offer this very valuable feature. I’ve been a big advocate of Hyundai vehicles but to be blunt, this stinks. However, it does have the camera surround feature that will tell you where the car is situated when parking. This is a very useful feature and to some extent mitigates the lack of the back-up sensors. So, in one sense, it is a wash, I would speculate that it could be added by an aftermarket firm. Obviously it would require drilling holes into the bumper facia and somehow wiring it to the shifter mechanism. As a practical matter, I would advise learning to live with it.

I drove my 2019 Ultimate for about 16,000 miles before trading it in for my 2020 Santa Fe SEL. Both were lease vehicles. While I would not have kept the Tucson as a purchase I may keep the Santa Fe. This is the same model for six years. It will be replaced with the 2022 model coming out in a few months. It will be totally different. I would expect huge discounts to clear out the old inventory. I can speculate that the factory had to stick to the old model one more year due to the COVID-19 plague.

The residual value of the older Tucson model is not particularly great and likely to become even lower as the dealers are flooded with the ramped up production. I would guess a minimum of about $5,000 rebates. The slow selling Genesis G70, a genuine turkey, had a $9,000 rebate to get rid of it. Hard to believe but the new Sonata is a fantastic car. The Genesis rides like a log wagon.

The Tucson is an OK vehicle but largely obsoleted by newer models. When they took away the 1.6T the car became another vanilla car. The Turbo was really fun and I owned four of this model. The Pano roof is a waste and adds weight. I made certain to not get it in the Santa Fe.

So, as much as this may seem like a downer the car is easy to live with, but it is nothing special.

But to put things into perspective, my neighbor has a late model Toyota Avalon XLE. It doesnt have sensors on front or back. About a month ago, he seriously damaged the front end and I’m thinking he is looking at a $3000 repair bill. You are unlikely to have this problem. The overhang is not great and the surround camera will make parking easy, In summary, I would just live with it and appreciate the fact you are unlikely to have any significant problems.

Oh yes, my Santa Fe does have back-up sensors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts