Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2001 sonata rear drum brake set up and on a video a 2000 Elantra also , It took me forever to get the rear drum off to do a shoe replacement, why didn't Hyundai not make an adjusting hole in the backing plates on rear drum brakes so you can loosen the shoes to get the drums off . I mean common sense if you had a deep groove in your rear drum and the shoes were adjusted tight from using the hand brake because that's the only way they get adjusted with the little star wheel in side, how did they expect anyone to get the drums off ?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
I had this problem on my 2008 Accent too. One side I could not get off. A year later I could. But that side had started to make a squeaking noise after I let up on the brakes.

I did get it off this fall, cleaned everything up and adjusted the brakes just enough to make getting the drum back on a bit difficult. At 95k miles the OEM brakes were hardly worn front and rear.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
reply to those no hole brake backing plates

I had this problem on my 2008 Accent too. One side I could not get off. A year later I could. But that side had started to make a squeaking noise after I let up on the brakes.

I did get it off this fall, cleaned everything up and adjusted the brakes just enough to make getting the drum back on a bit difficult. At 95k miles the OEM brakes were hardly worn front and rear.
##########################################################
well that's what I'M doing just like you I had a bad squeak so I replaced one side , it was such a hard job to get that drum off ,not even a puller would work that I rented , so I would up hammering it till it broke loose but the shoes inside were also sticking inside the little bit worn ridge inside the drum. I can wait until the other drum shoes need service - no noises there.
there has to be a better way for this .they should have put a access hole in the drum for this at least .,

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
I hope you changed the drum or had it turned down. I did not have a ridge. But I agree it a dumb design.

·
Registered
565 Posts
there has to be a better way for this .they should have put a access hole in the drum for this at least .,
My V6 Sonata had an adjusting hole (plugged with a rubber). But it is a disc/drum combo... it looked different inside:

·
Registered
268 Posts
My wife's 2008 and my 2012 Sonata has a rubber plug in the brake rotor. You remove the plug and you have access to the parking brake star wheel adjuster.

[/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts