Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon. I am new to this forum, as I have had little to no problems with my 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited until Monday. I did see a similar post from December, but it didn't indicate any resolution.

While driving on an interstate, I noticed it felt like the car was having trouble shifting gears (kind of lurching as shifting), then all of a sudden I started to loose speed. I pressed the gas, but nothing happened. Hybrid battery showed 0. As I pulled to the side of the road, a warning came on saying to pull over and put the car in park...which I did. As I sat there I noticed the hybrid battery inching back up to about 25%. I happened to be close to my parents' house and I was able to drive a little on the battery until it drained. Sit, charge, move forward slowly. Repeat.

I had the car towed to a dealership, since my (former) Honda guy told me he doesn't touch any hybrids and doesn't know anyone who will. The dealership has had the car for 3 days. Every day my update is the same - they can replicate the problem, but they are getting no error codes, and therefore have no solution. They just have to keep trying until they get an error code. When I asked if Hyundai tech support could be called, I was told that without an error code there's nothing tech support can do.

My husband is off tomorrow and I am tempted to send him to the dealership to speak to them politely but firmly (since he can go in person, but I have to be at work) but wanted to see if there are any suggestions as to the issue or other avenues of diagnosis. In the meantime, I have borrowed a car, but I find it a little concerning that I'm being told it could take who-knows-how-long to fix, and I haven't even been offered a loaner. Am I being ridiculous about the customer service? This is not the dealership where I purchased the vehicle.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Unfortunately, this is typical... It is upsetting to have problems like this without any code. These people aren't trained well enough and don't know what to do to document a problem without a code. I had my Genesis Coupe bought back on a lemon because the throttle would stick and guess what? For over a year of this happening intermittently, there was NO CODE ever. I had to finally get a video of what it does and put on YouTube for their management and all else to see.

Anyway, kind of sounds like the main battery is taking a dump? Are you the original owner?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm a bit surprised that they can't or wouldn't set up a computer to monitor and record the system and then send it to Hyundai tech support for help as to the cause.

Anyhow, it can't hurt for you to contact Hyundai customer service by phone and in writing. They will probably refer you back to to dealer, but I would go through the process.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I have a hunch, but dealer has to work with you on this...

Obvious nothing wrong with 277v portion, I assume "READY" light is illuminated, and shift to "R" or "D".. the car will walk away on electric motor...

When put into "R" or "D",, as it walk away, and you step on accell pedal,, does it BANG into gear and go ??

I suspect the EOP (Electric Oil Pump) has taken dump... Ask them to carefully remove the 4 shiney bolt at bottom of EOP,, and carefully remove the end plate,,, here they will see the actual sun and ring gear for the oil pump........

Look and see if the sun gear is loose from the electric motor shaft,, as in the gear rotate with out motor shaft.. starting to see failure because motor will not drive the pump,, shaft just spin in the gear

Also look at the coolant bottle on top of the inverter.. verify it full.... had couple with split tank that lost coolant,, does weird stuff when inveter get warm.. had 1 from a body shop, inverter coolant not full,, had to fill and do "coolant pump" cycle in Software Management screen to fill & burp air

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am said husband...went by the dealership today (the fourth day they have had the vehicle) and spoke in person with the guy handling our car. Issue is constant; replication is not a problem. But...no code, and they can't do anything to it without the code. Like something from the Twilight Zone.

I asked what happens if it doesn't throw a code tomorrow, or next week, or the week after. I got a *shrug* and he said hopefully it doesn't come to that. They are driving it some every day to try to get it to come up. My ten year old was with me...he said "Can't yall check with other repair people in other places, since there are a lot of these cars out there, and see what they think?". Blank stare...

The car was bought as a certified pre-owned. It has remaining powertrain and hybrid battery warranties, but it was towed in with over 90,000 miles on the odometer.

They said they had no loaners available, and offered to rent us a car for $25/day. I was not impressed. Insulted, actually. If the car was there, being fixed, for a non-warranty problem I wouldn't expect anything. When the **** car is sitting there broken and they are telling me that they, the service department of the brand's largest dealership in the state, most likely, can't even start to diagnose it to begin repair until an indefinite time...I'm pretty irritated.

I called the corporate service number today and they started a case for me. That I may hear something back on in 3-5 business days, with Monday being a holiday. The lady I spoke with was empathetic, but I don't expect anything from it.

I have always done my own work, or with help from family, on my own cars. Drove a TDI VW 312,000 miles with much work done. I don't mind getting dirty to work on a car...but I know nothing about a hybrid system. Plus it could possibly be under warranty. IF they could figure out what the problem is.

How long will a dealership sit on a car before they have to do something, as they wait for this code to pop up?

We're ready to walk away from this thing but it's value is horrid. We're several thousand upside down even buying it used after 2 years.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The dealership will be in no rush to fix it, if it's a warranty item. They don't get paid much for warranty work.

FIRST question - is this a warranty item?

If yes, take it to another dealer or demand a loaner.

Start social media shaming.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Unplug something in the battery system and get it to throw a **** code... It is good that you started a case and documented it because whatever happens this is the date you will/may be reimbursed back to. Even if it takes another year and 10K miles to figure out and goes out of warranty or whatever... The date you started the case is what matters. Take some videos of what it does to document because other than what people say (they can duplicate or not) it don't matter. This is the key, hence the reason why they don't or can't do anything without a code.

Like I said, my vehicle with stuck throttle issue never threw any code and they never did a darn thing. Took over a year to get a good video and post it for them to start the buy back process. The vehicle had 55K miles on it when I first brought it in and over 70K when they bought it back, but it was retroactive to the date/miles I first documented. The craziest part for me is that I brought the vehicle in to the dealership with a stuck throttle! Somehow, it actually acted up on the way to my appointment and I was able to nurse it in (because turning the car off fixes it...). So, I pulled in front of everyone in the car line when I arrived and got out and went straight to the service manager while the throttle was stuck (in neutral) at 6K RPM. I said, hear that? That's my car throttle stuck with no on in it! The manager came a looked for floor mat problem and anything he could find to fix it and nothing... No codes. I told him if he shut the car off it would fix itself. So he did, and then restarted and car was normal. I figured it was a no brainer at that point. Right! Unfortunately, the throttle sticking was very intermittent. They weren't able to duplicate it and no code so I had to play their game for over a year and bring the vehicle in several times with same result. I started the case though at 55K miles and it wasn't until I took/had and posted a video of exactly what happens did I get qualified for a buy-back...

I was about ready to drive the **** thing through their office window with the stuck throttle...

·
Registered
3 Posts
The dealership will be in no rush to fix it, if it's a warranty item. They don't get paid much for warranty work.

FIRST question - is this a warranty item?

If yes, take it to another dealer or demand a loaner.

Start social media shaming.
The problem is we don't know if it is a warranty item, because the dealership won't determine what the problem is.

If it is a battery issue, it's possibly covered under warranty. If it's a powertrain issue, it's possibly covered under warranty....

If it's neither, it may be covered under the third party warranty my wife purchased.

But until we know, we don't know. It can't be driven until it is fixed. So it sits at the dealership until they decide to do something, or are convinced to do something. I'm going to try management on Tuesday. If I don't feel any movement, I'll push on social media.

I bought a Jeep from this dealership family two months ago. My wife is planning on a new vehicle within a year. We are current/potential future customers...you'd think they'd try some customer service.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
The problem is we don't know if it is a warranty item, because the dealership won't determine what the problem is.
Maybe they dont have a Tech versed in Hybrid ??

If it is a battery issue, it's possibly covered under warranty. If it's a powertrain issue, it's possibly covered under warranty....

If it's neither, it may be covered under the third party warranty my wife purchased.

But until we know, we don't know. It can't be driven until it is fixed. So it sits at the dealership until they decide to do something, or are convinced to do something. I'm going to try management on Tuesday. If I don't feel any movement, I'll push on social media.

Have said dealer contact their FSE... Have they called Tech Assist (though waste of time generally)..

Where we at, I see I have posted with couple question, and couple idea... NO response seen...

I have pics of oil pump fail, but seems janitor took my camera cord last evening, arrived Fri to grab off floor from under bench, it was gone

I pretty much handle all our Hybrid stuff, Dumb & Dumber (yes, my twins in the shop beside me) dont know what to do with Hybrid in first place.. I was in 1st class of 8 in my region some 18yr ago for PRIUS,, then was 1st pick for Hybrid at our place for training with Sonata back in 2010

Care to name offending dealer ?

Couple more idea that might bring out DTC,,

1 - Perform HSG Resolver Calibration,, see if it goes

2 - After HSG calibrate,, preform E/C Calibration...

3 - After 1 & 2,, attempt to reset Adaptive learn for transmission

If calibrations wont complete, it'll sometimes set DTC in 1 or 2 of the Hybrid control module

I dont know if they have done COMPLETE FAULT CODE SEARCH of ALL the onboard modules.. You will have some work to do, You need to print this thread and take it in and start asking questions based on info I have given, and answer accordingly... Ask them to print copy of Fault Code Search (Eng,, A/T, all Hybrid control module),, and post it for me to see

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have said dealer contact their FSE... Have they called Tech Assist (though waste of time generally)..

Where we at, I see I have posted with couple question, and couple idea... NO response seen...

I have pics of oil pump fail, but seems janitor took my camera cord last evening, arrived Fri to grab off floor from under bench, it was gone

I pretty much handle all our Hybrid stuff, Dumb & Dumber (yes, my twins in the shop beside me) dont know what to do with Hybrid in first place.. I was in 1st class of 8 in my region some 18yr ago for PRIUS,, then was 1st pick for Hybrid at our place for training with Sonata back in 2010

Care to name offending dealer ?

Couple more idea that might bring out DTC,,

1 - Perform HSG Resolver Calibration,, see if it goes

2 - After HSG calibrate,, preform E/C Calibration...

3 - After 1 & 2,, attempt to reset Adaptive learn for transmission

If calibrations wont complete, it'll sometimes set DTC in 1 or 2 of the Hybrid control module

I dont know if they have done COMPLETE FAULT CODE SEARCH of ALL the onboard modules.. You will have some work to do, You need to print this thread and take it in and start asking questions based on info I have given, and answer accordingly... Ask them to print copy of Fault Code Search (Eng,, A/T, all Hybrid control module),, and post it for me to see

I very much appreciate your suggestions. I wish I could give you answers, but right now I've got no communication from LAKE NORMAN HYUNDAI of Cornelius, NC. About 10 miles north of Charlotte.

Tuesday morning I will be following up. I am out of town for work Tuesday night-Saturday.

The service guy I spoke with said his hybrid tech was "one of the best" *rolleyes*

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Got card reader at STAPLES, back in business

Look at pics very closelyto see that I have not applied and voo doo magic.. where the line is aligned, you will spy 2 dings in metal,, where the marks is mis-align, note the marks,, center pump gear rotates on electric motor shft,, pump dont work

Attachments

Reactions: phftw
1 - 12 of 12 Posts