Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I traded in my 2015 Santa Fe Ultimate for the 2018 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T Ultimate.

The tire pressure was a bit much for my personal liking so I removed some air from the tires. In one tire I managed to let a little too much air out so I went to put air in it just to balance it out.

After pumping air in the tire I saw on the tire cap that it said Nitro fill. Will that be an issue or is it practically the same? Never deal with nitro filled tired tires. Honestly, I may have and never known.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Nitrogen is already 79% of the air. I would forget about it.

It is a marketing gimmick in my opinion. However, the bigger enemy is water from airing at public pumps that I would be concerned with. I can't imagine that would be good for the TPMS sensors.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
This started back in the mid 70s during the 1974 gas crisis. So they have been trying this for years. I rarely have to fill any tires I own. Gimmicks. There have been tests by many companies including Consumers Reports, all with the same findings. Gimmicks.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Nitrogen was first used in racing primarily for fire safety.
If a car crashes, catches fire, melts the tire and it bursts, there won't be a sudden blast of oxygen to feed the fire.
Nitrogen is also conveniently dry, but air can be dried too.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Make sure to fill with a nice air compressor with a tank if possible. These will catch the moisture at the bottom of the tank and put dryer air in your tire VS using a straight compressor where the moisture gets pulled from the air and straight into the tires. Discount tire offers free air fills even if you're not a customer of their tires.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Think of this as well, when a tire is mounted, it already some static amount of "air" already (haven't seen anyone vacuum the tire out before filling...lol). They just seal and complete the fill with nitrogen. If it's free, go ahead, but I'm not paying for it.....lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts