Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

At 52,000, I intend to replace the plugs on my 2017 Elantra Value Edition. What is the better quality plugs to use.....NGK or Bosch?

Thanks

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi,

At 52,000, I intend to replace the plugs on my 2017 Elantra Value Edition. What is the better quality plugs to use.....NGK or Bosch?

Thanks
Rather than shopping brands
1). It is more important to use Platinum or Iridium spark plug, resist corrosion by ethanol.
2). Make certain the plug resistance match the factory specification, prevent engine codes, damage to coil internal Mosfets and Zeners.

You need Platinum or Iridium to resist corrosion by ethanol added to the gas. Regular steel tipped plugs, copper plugs will corrode reducing your service interval. This is why the factories are using Platinum or Iridium plugs. Make certain you gap the plugs correctly.

You need to make certain the spark plug you select have the proper resistance. The car’s computer will show an engine fault if the wrong resistance spark plugs are used. Forcing resets or clearing the code using the wrong resistance spark plugs can damage the coils (internal MOSFET and Zeners)

·
Registered
345 Posts
At 50k miles, I would not change out the factory spark plugs. You should perform a minor tune-up.

1). Remove your plugs carefully, inspect the plugs, coil plug boots.
2). When inspections the plugs, look for arc marks on connector end, carbon tracking and check the gap.
3). Get an old tooth-brush, de-carbon cleaner (CRC, Seafoam, Marvel Mystery or carb cleaner, etc.). Soak the plugs for several hours and use tooth-brush to clean off the carbon.
4). Use scotch-brite to clean the connector end of the spark plug. If the connector end show arc marks, you might have to change out the spring in the coil boot. It contacts the spark plug.
5). Gap the factory plugs
6). Use Nickel anti-seize (or no anti-seize) when installing the plugs and torque to correct specification. (never use Zinc or Copper anti-seize with Aluminum heads - it forms very low temperature melting alloy Al-Zn and Al-Cu and will fuse the spark-plug to the heads)
7). Use dielectric grease around the boot to prevent moisture or water from shorting the plugs.
8). Properly torque the coils to the heads. Do not leave the coil unbolted, the bolt provided grounding of the coil shield.
9). Check the electrical connectors, make certain they are on properly locked.

Minor Tune Up without having to deal with spark plugs resistance mismatch and engine codes Or buying expensive Platinum or Iridium Plugs.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hello 50,000 mile service,

From owning many cars over 45+yrs, I would not worry about the stock Hyundai Spark Plugs. There are more important items to service.

1). Change your front brake pads and bleed your complete braking system from rear to the front. Every car I’ve own needed new front brake pads around 50K-60K. Don’t wait until with wear the rotor and push the caliper pistons out.
2). Service your radiator. Just perform a drain and refill with stock antifreeze. This will take 4 qts or 2 gallon. Do not flush or use radiator flush on 50K car. Antifreeze, radiator, engine should still be clean. Just keep it all clean with a drain and refill. Do not forget to replace the radiator cap, these fail at lower pressures, usually around 4-5 yrs.
3). Perform an oil/filter change, use the latest synthetic oil API SN Plus or API SP.
4). Perform a Transmission drain and refill, remember to clean the magnetic plug.
5). If there is a front diff., drain and refill with syn gear oil with friction modifiers.
6). Rotate your tires and have them balanced. Get your 4 wheel alignment.
7). At 50 K and 4-5 yrs old, change your battery. Bad Battery can damage alternators/regulators.
8). Inspect your Acc. Belt.
9). Put on some new widow wipers. Fill your window washer fluids.
10). Clean and grease all your hinges, hood, doors, trunk, and lub your key slots and latches.
11) Change your air filter and cabin filter.
12). Perform an injector service, DIY use Chevron Techron in 2-3 tank fills. Then use one every oil change.

After you’ve completed those services, then perform a mini-tune and clean your spark plugs.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Sorry, I cannot count or typo or old age.

Radiator drain and refill take 2 gallons or 8 qt.

13). Remove your intake hose and perform a throttle body clean, get rid of the carbon and keep your idle port clean.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Dearest 50,000 mile service,

You are on this forum. Then you probably read about all the issue that arise at 65K to 85K.

Reminder Spark-Plugs do not cause

1)Transmission flare-up and wandering shifts. Not changing the fluid until 65K to 85K cause transmission flare-up and wandering shifts. Change your transmission while it is still functioning. You will be surprised at how dirty and how much metal the magnet capture. Once it flares or wander shift, it causes lots of damage.

2). Engine, wobbly idle knocking etc. is not caused by spark-plugs. It’s usually caused by not changing your engine oil and filter, not cleaning your fuel system, not cleaning your throttle body, not changing your air filter.

3). Brakes don’t fail or become soggy because of spark plugs. Change your pads and bleed your brake system.

4). Handling don’t go bad because of spark plugs. Change your tires, balance your tires, inflate your tires, rotate your tires and get a 4 wheel alignment.

5). Doors, hood and trunk don’t get jammed because of spark-plugs. Lube the locks, latches and hindges.

6). Alternator V-regulator don’t get damaged because of Spark-plugs. Change your battery before it overload you V-regulator in the alternator.

7). Engines don’t overheat and boil out the anti-freeze because of Spark-plug. Drain and fill the anti-freeze, ...and change the radiator cap.

8). Wind shield don’t get scratched because of spark-plugs. Change your wind shield wipers and put clean window washer fluid.

etc...

Love You, Happy New Years

·
Registered
345 Posts
The factory plugs 18846-11070,

Replacement NGK Platinium PN 93190, Resistance 5,000 ohm, Gap: 0.044 inches (1.1 mm)
Replacement NGK Iridium PN 93175, Resistance 5,000 ohms, Gap: 0,044 inches (1.1 mm)

Beware of Copper or Steel tip spark plugs, corrosion with ethanol fuel. This shortens the life of the plugs.

Beware of the Resistance, some plug resistance 4,000 ohms, which can cause engine codes. Look for plug resistance 5,000 ohms as factory specified.

Please check and adjust your plug gap before installation. Plug gap 0.044 inches or 1.1 mm.

Inspect and check the old plugs for arcing at connector end. Replace spring or connector in the boot if needed.

Inspect and check the boot for arcing, cracks, oil and moisture. Replace the coil boot if needed.

Install with spark plug dielectric grease, to prevent moisture or oil contamination and arc. Beware not to get it on spark plug tip or connector end.

Replace the spark plug tube o-ring if oil leak is found (I have not don’t this.)

Remember to torque the plug to the correct spec. 21 ft-lbs.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Please use high temp. Silicone grease, special spark plug dielectric on the boot to spark-plug. This is to seal out moisture and oil.

Do not use regular axle grease on coil boot.
1) Axle or bearing grease will carbonize and start to arc, causing misfire and engine code.
2). Axle or bearing grease can cause the boot rubber to swell-up and fail, causing loss of moisture seal, arcing, misfire and engine code.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Boot grease is actually so the heat doesn't cause them to stick/bond to the ceramic.

Reactions: 12GLS3.5

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Between the two, NGK. I had a terrible experience with Bosch when installed in a Nissan Sentra. NGK restored performance. On my next car used NGK with great results.

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Elantra
295 Posts
NGK needs to release an rethenium spark plug for our N/A engines. I found a bosch dual tip spark plug for our engines but like NDSE said, "Don't".

·
Registered
345 Posts
NGK needs to release an rethenium spark plug for our N/A engines. I found a bosch dual tip spark plug for our engines but like NDSE said, "Don't".
NGK has a Ruthenium Plug PN 96355,, resistance 5,000 ohms, gap: 0.044 in. 1.1 mm. $7.95.

Ruthenium is in the same family as Platinum and slightly less expensive. It resist corrosion by ethanol and can tolerate very high temperature.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Boot grease is actually so the heat doesn't cause them to stick/bond to the ceramic.
That is why boot grease is made of Silicone. Silicone grease is made from Silica, SiO2. When Silicone oxidize it turns into electrical insulator Silica. High Purity Silica is used as Space Shuttle Tile for reentry, 1400F.

Regular axle or bearing grease is made of petroleum, which turns into carbon ash. Carbon is conductive, especially in presence of water. Therefore using axle grease can cause arcing and misfire.

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Elantra
295 Posts
NGK has a Ruthenium Plug PN 96355,, resistance 5,000 ohms, gap: 0.044 in. 1.1 mm. $7.95.

Ruthenium is in the same family as Platinum and slightly less expensive. It resist corrosion by ethanol and can tolerate very high temperature.
Even NGK website doesn't mention any fitment for these engines. Hmmmm..... May buy and see if it'll fit one day.
Capture+_2021-01-15-01-39-09.png
Capture+_2021-01-15-01-50-35.png

1 - 20 of 32 Posts