Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the original spark plugs on my wife's 2005 Elantra GT SULEV. The manual calls for NGK Iridium IFR5G-11 spark plugs.

Looking at NGK web site, the one that fits the car is the NGK 7994 IFR5E-11 and not IFR5G. Amazon also warns that IFR5G doesn't fit this vehicle.

Looking at the specs for both spark plugs on NGK web site it seems that the specs are absolutely identical:

NGK 7854 IFR5G11 Iridium Spark Plug

NGK 7994 IFR5E-11 Iridium Spark Plug

But still somehow only one of them would fit.

So should I go for IFR5G-11 as car's manual calls for or IFR5E-11 as spark plug manufacturer calls for?

Or it doesn't matter?

Thanks!

·
Banned
998 Posts
I would not trust Amazon... go with NGK or manual.

They have same thread (per specs), materials, and whatnot (including heat range), so I have no clue why they have different numbers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, i did some more research and here are the results.

according to this document from NGK

E in IFR5E-11 stands for V-Grooved center electrode and
G in IFR5G-11 stands for Fine wire nickel alloy center electrode (it appears that nickel alloy is an alloy with iridium or at least the very tip of the central electrod is iridium)

And according to this document from NGK fine tip spark plugs suceeded v-grooved ones in the spark plug evolution.

So it seems to be better to go with IFR5G-11 spark plug, the one that original car manual calls for even though both amazon.com and ngk.com say that it won't fit.

Go figure..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts