Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has tried to replace or obtain a new card. Trying to figure out if it needs to be programmed like a key fob (big bucks) or just use the app. Dealers and Hyundai that I spoke with all say "I think...". No one knows for sure. Probably not really worth the effort. Since my pup chewed it up, maybe I'm not meant to have one. 馃槅

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
The way I was thinking is that the card is paired to the vehicle through the app and not preprogramed. The dealers I spoke with think the card has to be programmed like new key fob. Both the card and the phone use NFC and nobody preprogramed my phone. I think maybe it's still too new and nobody really knows.

Registered
2020 Sonata Limited (Stormy Sea)
I would imagine the card has a unique number written to it. You pair the card to the car yourself through the infotainment system.

Registered
My Card already worked when I bought the car. Came in an envelope with the 2nd Key FOB. Had to do nothing myself. So It's got to be paired to the car itself. And, What the blazes does "FOB" stand for?

Registered
What the blazes does "FOB" stand for?
Some people claim it's an acronym for Frequency Operated Button, but it was never used for remote controls before vehicle keyless entry systems came into use, so it's likely not the case.

It might have come from German "Fuppe" or "Fobke" meaning pocket and was often referred to the small waist pocket for valuables or watch pocket. It can also refer to the chain of the watch or other ornament.

edit: acronym, not anagram

Registered
Some people claim it's an anagram for Frequency Operated Button, but it was never used for remote controls before vehicle keyless entry systems came into use, so it's likely not the case.

It might have come from German "Fuppe" or "Fobke" meaning pocket and was often referred to the small waist pocket for valuables or watch pocket. It can also refer to the chain of the watch or other ornament.
Sounds logical, Thanks for that.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
My Card already worked when I bought the car. Came in an envelope with the 2nd Key FOB. Had to do nothing myself. So It's got to be paired to the car itself. And, What the blazes does "FOB" stand for?
So you didn't have to place the card on the wireless pad and pair to the car? Maybe the dealer did it for you?

Got a dealer to order a card for me to see if it needs dealer programming or not. Will only cost me the price of the card ($26) if dealer input not required. I can live with that just to have a gadget I probably won't use! :)

Registered
Same here with my 2020 Sonata SEL and I haven't even loaded the Digital Key App on my phone. Tried the card first day of delivery and it worked perfectly. Unlock. Start and re-lock. I think the card is paired to the car at the factory. The dealership probably has or will have the ability to pair a card at the dealership but being that everything is so new the dealership may not have the equipment yet or don't know how to use the equipment.

Registered
I agree with ANEMENIAC. The card is already paired to the car when you get it because the factory or dealer did it for you. It's probably part of their checklist for customer delivery (as well as pairing your phone for you and showing you how the NAV works).

Registered
I agree with ANEMENIAC. The card is already paired to the car when you get it because the factory or dealer did it for you. It's probably part of their checklist for customer delivery (as well as pairing your phone for you and showing you how the NAV works).
And funny thing is they didn't show me the NAV and pair the phone. Not a biggie for me cause I'm a bit of a geek and can figure it myself. Haven't even bothered with the phone yet and keep the NFC card in my wallet for backup.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
And funny thing is they didn't show me the NAV and pair the phone. Not a biggie for me cause I'm a bit of a geek and can figure it myself. Haven't even bothered with the phone yet and keep the NFC card in my wallet for backup.
I'm the same way. When the guy wanted to sit and try to explain erverything, I told him it's ok and that it's more fun trying to figure stuff out on my own. I'll find out how for sure it works on Tuesday.

Registered
2020 Sonata SEL Plus (+Tech Package)
...to have a gadget I probably won't use! :)
This.

I couldn't stop myself from putting my NFC card in my wallet either (as a "backup") and I'm still checking for an update to the Digital Key app every two days so I can set up my phone.... that I will probably never use.

I actually used the card once for a totally silly, lazy reason.

And if I lost it or broke it, I would do exactly what @bobrap did and order a new one. Hyundai created a solution...

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
If anyone is interested, I got a new card from the dealer and just paired the card myself. No dealer programming necessary. Under $30 and done.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts