Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm thinking about doing a custom CBE, I'll post a few mods that were done previously so whoever wants to reference it could quickly do so. I don't know all the specifics of the mods but if its your car, let us know :thumbsup:

If anyone else has a custom exhaust, post it up as well.

V6
Borla (unknown)

DragonStang's Borla (no resonator)

blazinghost's glasspack (no resonator)

Flowmaster 40 series (no resonator)

Magnaflows (stock resonators, Weapon-R intake)

v33sonata's Flowmaster 40 series (2.5", Magnaflow Y-pipe, no resonator, no secondary cat)

alfu's ebay mufflers (no secondary cats, no resonator)

I4
sduff68's cherry bombs

unnamed muffler

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (downhiller88 @ Dec 9 2010, 02:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378339
there was a video on youtube of a silver 3.3 sonata with tanabe medallion touring mufflers and y pipe.... the video is gone now for some reason, it sounded really good
yeah, its gone... I saw the thread here, but I wanted to post the ones with vids or pics

·
Registered
990 Posts
I like the unnamed one for the I4 looks nice and sounds good maybe one day ill go that route for now a little tip on my ugly exhaust works justs fine, yet another reason why having a V6 would be so nice...

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I was debating between the new Dynomax VTs, the Borla Pro XS and the Aero Turbine 2525s...

I pulled the trigger and went with the Borla Pro XS (40358) with Borla tips (20155... I wanted it to look stockish). The VTs were just too sketchy... some people reported rattling and some didn't and even though they had a 90 day guarantee, I didn't want to find out it rattles and have the hassle of sending it back and waiting for another set. I liked the setup of the Aero Turbines, but there literally is no sound absorption. It uses an air foil to help reduce noise and EGTs. Cool concept, but not sure if it'll really help the G6DB as it was mostly used on trucks and diesels (it was a sponsor of NASCAR back in the day, LOL). Most of the vids sounded like the cars had no mufflers, so it was gonna be loud if I got those, and I heard the vid of v33sonata's car when he went no mufflers so it was a no go...

Got an awesome deal on the Borlas from Street Side Auto. $99.95 x2 for the mufflers $57.95 for the tip (I already bought one off ebay for $30) used coupon code "save" to save 10%, checked out with google checkout and got $20 off. To top it off, I got free shipping! :grin:

The plan so far is to have it installed in the spring... but we'll see how far I can stretch my patience :innocent:
Install is gonna be as follows: 2.5" mandrel bent piping, remove secondary cat --> aero turbine resonator --> magnaflow y pipe --> Borla mufflers --> Borla tips

I'll update with pics/vids once its installed.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally got it installed today. 2.5" mandrel bent from the downpipe back. Aero Turbine resonator, Magnaflow Y-pipe, and two Borla Pro XS.
My initial thoughts: wow, kind of loud lol... real loud around 1k ~ 3k... 3k and up is a bit louder than stock... can get loud doing city driving, highway cruise is good. Little to no drone.

chopped up video of a quick drive around the block... 1st gear to ~5k, then some revs
caught a lot of road noise... so maybe I'll do another.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
QUOTE (riceR @ Feb 15 2011, 02:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=402638
Finally got it installed today. 2.5" mandrel bent from the downpipe back. Aero Turbine resonator, Magnaflow Y-pipe, and two Borla Pro XS.
My initial thoughts: wow, kind of loud lol... real loud around 1k ~ 3k... 3k and up is a bit louder than stock... can get loud doing city driving, highway cruise is good. Little to no drone.

chopped up video of a quick drive around the block... 1st gear to ~5k, then some revs
caught a lot of road noise... so maybe I'll do another.

sound spretty good. did you have the camera from your trunk? LOL. at 1st I thought you had some really good brakes then noticed you must have chopped the vid.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (v33sonata @ Feb 15 2011, 06:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=402684
sound spretty good. did you have the camera from your trunk? LOL. at 1st I thought you had some really good brakes then noticed you must have chopped the vid.
Yeah, I chopped it up, the entire thing was around 3mins... I mounted the camera on the trunk facing down.

QUOTE (v33sonata @ Feb 15 2011, 06:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=402688
I'd dump the res tho
Its already loud enough as is... I'm thinking of putting the cat back on to see how much it'll quiet it down. We'll see if I get used to this.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
QUOTE (riceR @ Feb 15 2011, 06:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=402705
Yeah, I chopped it up, the entire thing was around 3mins... I mounted the camera on the trunk facing down.

Its already loud enough as is... I'm thinking of putting the cat back on to see how much it'll quiet it down. We'll see if I get used to this.

drive it for a while see if u get used to it. can you get us a drive by vid?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was driving around again, and I've decided going cat-less is just too loud for me lol... the camera doesn't pick up the low frequencies so its kind of mellowed out in the video. I find it that the sound inside the cabin sounds much like having a hole in a exhaust system... but outside (same rpm/load) it sounds totally different. Weird... the G6DB just sounds funky to me :p So yeah, putting the cat back on hopefully tomorrow if I can.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
QUOTE (riceR @ Feb 15 2011, 11:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=402780
I was driving around again, and I've decided going cat-less is just too loud for me lol... the camera doesn't pick up the low frequencies so its kind of mellowed out in the video. I find it that the sound inside the cabin sounds much like having a hole in a exhaust system... but outside (same rpm/load) it sounds totally different. Weird... the G6DB just sounds funky to me :p So yeah, putting the cat back on hopefully tomorrow if I can.

the cats not going to dampen the sound a hole lot. Might be enought. Try a none strait thru design muffler.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (v33sonata @ Feb 16 2011, 02:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=402952
the cats not going to dampen the sound a hole lot. Might be enought. Try a none strait thru design muffler.
yeah... it doesn't dampen it as much as I thought it would... Does yours sound louder in the cabin? The loudest point is in the back seat... I'm thinking its probably the resonator as it sits under there.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
QUOTE (riceR @ Feb 16 2011, 01:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=402956
yeah... it doesn't dampen it as much as I thought it would... Does yours sound louder in the cabin? The loudest point is in the back seat... I'm thinking its probably the resonator as it sits under there.
No not really I have never had any complaints only compliments. Sounds like a z28 inside the car. LOL

·
Registered
261 Posts
Finally got my exhaust mostly done. I still want to remove the cat and find a quad tip setup that I like. Right now im running 2 1/2" pipe from the cat to a custom y pipe and then to two super 44's. It sounds great, i'll try and get a video up tonight sometime.

I like the exhaust on the tl type-s, this is the look I am going for.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wanted quad tips too, but I couldn't find any that I really liked. Does yours have a buzzing/drone in the cabin during slight acceleration as well (1-2.5k)?

·
Registered
261 Posts
QUOTE (riceR @ Feb 17 2011, 03:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=403469
I wanted quad tips too, but I couldn't find any that I really liked. Does yours have a buzzing/drone in the cabin during slight acceleration as well (1-2.5k)?
There is a slight very deep drone at lower rpm's but I wouldn't call it "buzzy" at all, almost like a steady 70 - 80 MHz wave from a subwoofer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts