Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Brian,

Thanks for contacting K&N. Unfortunately at this time K&N does not have either drop-in or complete system in the works at this time. Since you have signed up for new product notification, you’ll receive automatic notification when the air filters become available.

Thank you for writing,

George Hsieh
Tech Support
K&N Engineering
[email protected]

Well, nothing coming out yet, but I'm wondering if they saw enough interest for at least a drop-in from those that want one, maybe they'd start working on something - you can sign up for e-mail updates on K&N's site for a specific vehicle. Just wanted to let everyone know that didn't know already.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I already wrote to them and got the same letter from them. Let's all write in. More interest, the more likely they will do something for our cars.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Good News people, K&N is gonna pick up my GLS next monday to do the full CAI !!! I'm excited and really happy beacuse I get this deal, I work for Hyundai, that is how I get this deal, as soon I got something on I will keep u guys posted on it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (mostholycerebus @ Jun 6 2010, 03:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330357
They do a drop-in for everything, that's guaranteed. The question is whether they will do a full intake kit, that depends on consumer demand.
Our cars must fall outside the realm of everything then. *LOL* Well, for now anyway...

For some reason, I'm just not believing the guy who is getting his car picked up by K&N for a week. First off, you'd think a rep from Hyundai could spell "because" and type in a regular font... :huh:

·
Registered
133 Posts
QUOTE (unccjester @ Jun 11 2010, 02:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331931
Our cars must fall outside the realm of everything then. *LOL* Well, for now anyway...
Believe it or not, not every 3rd party company gets a free sample of every car months before they hit the streets. :whistling: First they need to do an economic feasibility study, are there enough potential customers out there to turn a profit? Is the market already saturated with competitors? Then they need to set their engineers on it, design, mock-up, install and thoroughly test lest they incur litigation. Then they look at costs and investments again to see if its still worth it to go full production. Expect 6-12months after initial product launch for aftermarket bolt-ons to hit, maybe much longer. The more 'extreme' bolt-ons may take 3-5 years to hit, as owners are hesitant to add bolt-ons to a car under warranty. Most consumers don't understand (or even know of) the Magnuson-Moss warranty act, or are gullible enough to believe what their dealers tell them re:warranty.

I've seen a drop-in K&N for pretty much everything, but sometimes it takes longer, even years. I think they wait until X vehicles have sold. They estimate they will sell a certain percentage of X so its not worth the investment until that portion of X is out there. As you would expect, that portion of 'X' is higher for performance variants, as these owners are more likely to invest in bolt-ons.

Previously, Hyundai was a small part of the market. With 2010 sales numbers we may start seeing more support.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Guys, you will gain MAYBE 5HP from an intake and will prob not notice much of a difference other than sound coming from the throttle body on acceleration. You'll also gain a lot of haggling from the dealer in terms of voiding your warranty for any problems related to the aftermarket intake as well.

I just sold my previous car before I picked up my '11 Limited and that was a 2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4 that went 11.81 in the 1/4 mile @ 119 mph. Performance mods should be kept to a performance car IMO.

Also, cotton gauze filters let a ton more of dirt pass through the filter, thus allowing more airflow which is where everybody will see the small power increase. I seriously doubt a 200HP naturally aspirated motor can outflow the OEM intake design as well.

When/if you see a dyno graph from a Sonata with an intake, look for overall HP increase and not peak. Often, many companies will advertise 10HP increase when in reality it only increases 10HP in one small RPM range and actually loses power throughout the rest of the powerband.

To each their own and just offering my own .02 on the situation.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Something I learned during my time building and racing Porsches, as well as selling Porsche performance products:

The truth is, while they *look* cool, most *Cold* Air Intakes [CAIs] are a farce because the usually take air directly from the engine compartment, which is much hotter, [and therefore less dense] than the air outside, there by defeating their purpose. Where as factory air intakes on all modern cars are ducted to take air from outside the car. That said, [IMHO] if you really have your heart set on making a change, your better off just replacing the stock air filter. It may not net much HP gain but can help improve throttle response which *may* net you an increase in performance *feel* from your "butt-dyno".

You can find out what that would be like for free by simply removing the stock air filter altogether and driving the car for a little bit. I wouldn't recommend doing this for very long or in any excessively dusty areas for obvious reasons but you get the idea. If you don't notice any change by removing your filter, then no aftermarket filter will make a difference.

For the record, I replaced my stock filter in my 98 BMW 528i and it was "noticeable". I also liked the increased intake sound as well. I also discovered there was a lot of internal ducting and resonating chambers, upstream of the filter. They were designed to intentionally quiet the car's intake noise and clearly restricted airflow. It was easy to remove and did help both airflow and increased intake sound. Everything I removed, was easily replaceable and therefore, I could put it back to factory spec before going to the dealer and avoid any warranty issues. I have not tried this on my Sonata, but if one of you is bored, give it a look see and let us know what you find.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts