Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate people like me, asking for help before trying to help themselves, but my time is short (inspection is due) and my searches so far have produced no valid answers. I have my daughter's 2007 Hyundai Accent with SRS Airbag light on, caused (I believe) by my disconnecting dash panel while cleaning up the wiring mess created by the previous owner when they installed new radio. I have a variety of OBD (ScanXL Pro, OBDWiz, etc...) apps with cable but none seem to show SRS codes or can clear them(Or if they do I obviously haven't looked in the right places). Tried disconnecting battery for half hour but no difference. I know that if there really is a problem the light will return, but is there a simple way to clear it for now? State inspections here remove the old sticker first and then when you're stuck tell you why it won't pass and what it will cost you to correct the problem, and I'd prefer to avoid a hostage situation. Thank you all in advance for your help.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
and I'd prefer to avoid a hostage situation. Thank you all in advance for your help.
After you worked on your daughter's car, the air bag warning light was ON.....probably meaning that the air bag is inoperative......and you just let her drive it like that ??

I suggest that you take it to a dealer and get it fixed.
It is not a "code" like a lot of the engine stuff.
If you pull the fuse, that will guarantee that the bag won't work AND the inspectors will probably notice that too.

I think you are probably stuck.

Is it really a "safety" inspection or just emissions ??

·
Registered
823 Posts
Are you talking about the orange "air bag" light in between the speedo and tac? If so I don't believe that there is any way to clear that. I took the passenger seat completely out of my car and that light is now on (forever I was told). When I went to get the inspection the mechanic was trying to tell me that it wouldn't pass but as you said -no codes so said to me "this wasn't on when you got here" and I was like "deal!". If you have any friends who do inspection I'm sure this would be the time to get a favor from them

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts
It's happened many times here over the years during radio installs.

The SRSCM's memory is non-volatile, so disconnecting the battery will not clear the code. Once it's set, the best means of correction is having the dealer put their scan tool on it. Hopefully an hour's labor or so will get you fixed up, unless there is an additional underlying problem.

350 Posts
As a rule, OBD systems are not interconnected with SRS systems, at least not directly. You can't clear airbag warnings with OBD tools.

Now, the dealer tool may physically connect to the same socket, but that's about where the similarity ends.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had an airbag light issue last summer that caused a great deal of aggravation for me. The dealer blamed it on my aftermarket stereo system. After being charged $90 to clear the light, I purchased a tool for $160 that can clear ABS and SRS codes/lights. Best money I ever spent. Used it several times already for that purpose.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I had an airbag light issue last summer that caused a great deal of aggravation for me. The dealer blamed it on my aftermarket stereo system. After being charged $90 to clear the light, I purchased a tool for $160 that can clear ABS and SRS codes/lights. Best money I ever spent. Used it several times already for that purpose.
Just out of curiosity which tool and where did you get it from? I have a couple of airbag issues myself. Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's just an OBD-II tool. Can buy from Advance Auto Parts, Autozone or Amazon, etc for about $100.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Try checking under the seats and make sure the connections are all connected.
There is also a junction box for the airbags that just behind the shifter. Make sure they are all connected...

Im almost certain you have a loose plug ...

Attached is a pic of my 06 gutted.
The box is just behind the shifter and in front of the e-brake.
Everthing for the Airbags is circled...
Youll Notice the yellow cableing/protectors ...
Those are all for the airbags.
Follow them into the dash and make sure its all connected.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
The dealer quoted for me to replace my passenger seat ($1,200) in order to turn off my air bag indicator light. Does this seem right to you? Is that even possible?

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
The dealer quoted for me to replace my passenger seat ($1,200) in order to turn off my air bag indicator light. Does this seem right to you? Is that even possible?
Do your seats have an air bag built in, or just a pressure switch that turns on and off the passenger side front airbag? Either way try to find a replacement seat in a junkyard or online. You can swap yourself with a few wrenches.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Personal opinion here. If it workedbeforeyou cleaned up cabling, i would be more inclined to say you disconnected something by accident.
I highly doubt its the seat or the pressure switch... do you see thered srs lighton or off next to the clock ? If im not mistaken your airbag light will come on if the plug becomes disconnected. Ill test it too. But pull the bezel and make sure its pluggedin brother.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Do your seats have an air bag built in, or just a pressure switch that turns on and off the passenger side front airbag? Either way try to find a replacement seat in a junkyard or online. You can swap yourself with a few wrenches.
Both. I put in an RFQ to several junkyards in the area, just waiting to hear back. Going to see if I can borrow an OBD-II to scan code prior to purchase though.

Personal opinion here. If it workedbeforeyou cleaned up cabling, i would be more inclined to say you disconnected something by accident.
I highly doubt its the seat or the pressure switch... do you see thered srs lighton or off next to the clock ? If im not mistaken your airbag light will come on if the plug becomes disconnected. Ill test it too. But pull the bezel and make sure its pluggedin brother.
It's possible I disconnected something during my subwoofer/headunit installation. The pressure switch turns on/off no problem, indicated by the yellow light by the hazards/clock. I'm referring to the red light on the dash by the check engine light.

I'll have to check all the connection points this weekend to ensure they are all connected. (edit) I'm hesistant to agree that this is the solution though, because the light popped on like 2 years after I have done any work on the car.(/edit)

I'm a little extra concerned because I'm due for an inspection (2 months past due - just noticed yesterday) and I don't want to fail for this.

(edit2) Just realized I hijacked thread, sorry! Source of my problem is likely different than OP. I did no cable clean-up. (/edit2)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Where is jersey are you ? If your near atlantic city i can loan you my actron odb scanner brother . If youd like.
Also did you check the fuse ?
Its number 26 on my 2006

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wanted to add something to this post just as an FYI ...
If you disconnect any of the airbag plugs with the battery still connected and / or start the car it will also cause the light to come on even if the system is still in tact and the plugs are all connected properly. I actually did this when I pulled the seats and carpets out of the car. But my idiot self actually had the battery still connected so I could listen to the radio =D .
I'm told that the light should go out after a number of successful starts, Im not sure if this is true or not as I am told by Hyundai that the only way to get rid of it is to take it to the dealer and have the system reset.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I live in Parsippany, which is about a 3 hour drive from Atlantic City. So unless I'm down in the area it might be a little out of the way.

Appreciate all your feedback. I've put a hold on this for now. My car successfully passed inspection, even with a small crack in the windshield (which was previously fixed by safe-lite, but beginning to spider) and the airbag indicator light on.

I plan on fixing it eventually but I've been too busy to get to it. Will keep this thread updated when I make progress.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts