Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from San Antonio, TX! I'm looking to upgrade the fog and headlights on a 2010 Veracruz. Anyone have any thoughts on the Silverstar zXe's? Are they worth the price?

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have seen some good reviews on the zxe bulbs in various places online. I considered them for my last headlight bulb upgrade but went with a less expensive option instead. I do like the Silverstar line of bulbs though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks someguy! I am a bit discouraged that I need the H11B for my low beams and Sylvania doesn't manufacturer them in their zXe line. I really don't want to make too many modifications.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
fyi - according to many over on the YF thread, those 'brighter' bulbs don't last as long as normal halogen bulbs. and for the cost, many of them recommend upgrading to HID. they last longer, cost less over time and are brighter. just a bit more work involved to make the conversion. and since we have projector style headlights already, they will work fine.

with that said, my wife has a matrix. she took it in for an oil change few weeks back. the left headlight was burnt out. i didn't know this. anyways, she had them replace the bulb. they installed a standard halogen. the right side has the silverstar bulb. yes, it's 'whiter'. is it brighter, not that i can tell. i have them both adjusted properly...and can't tell much of difference.

·
Registered
217 Posts
fyi - according to many over on the YF thread, those 'brighter' bulbs don't last as long as normal halogen bulbs. and for the cost, many of them recommend upgrading to HID. they last longer, cost less over time and are brighter. just a bit more work involved to make the conversion. and since we have projector style headlights already, they will work fine.

with that said, my wife has a matrix. she took it in for an oil change few weeks back. the left headlight was burnt out. i didn't know this. anyways, she had them replace the bulb. they installed a standard halogen. the right side has the silverstar bulb. yes, it's 'whiter'. is it brighter, not that i can tell. i have them both adjusted properly...and can't tell much of difference.
I used to use brighter bulbs (Silverlight etc) in my 2006 Sonata (I have poor eyesight, and in particular in the dark, so I needed the extra). On the other hand I also like to keep the low beam lights on always for best visibility (other people seeing me). The bulbs would last only 3-4 months, at $40-50 replacement cost. Ouch.

My understanding is that the brighter bulbs run hotter (both being brighter, i.e. more wattage, but also are whiter, i.e. run at higher (color) temperature). The standard light fixture does not seem to ventilate well enough to keep the bulbs cool enough. Just my speculation.

In my 2010 and 2012 VC's I have not had any need for brighter bulbs. The regular ones seem to be brighter and better focused already, and since they are regular bulbs they seem to last much much longer.

I do not want to do any modifications, so I have not considered HIDs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
***UPDATE***
I did confirm that H11s NOT H11Bs are factory in my 2010 VC (very happy about that, again thanks someguy). According to the Sylvania website, H11Bs are supposedly factory.
Went out an purchased the zXes and did noticed a difference in the color of the light produced by them. As Seppo stated, the outside of the headlight housing (clear shield) does seem warmer to the touch when the lights are on so I'll have to keep on eye on that.
I also tried to replace the standard blinker bulbs with LEDs, but fell into the hyperblinking problem. I need to install load resistors to make this problem go away, but splicing the correct wire is difficult since they are not accessible from outside the housing. I'm about 90% sure it's a red wire because I was able to trace all others out of the main connector, but I need confirmation. Can anyone help with this? Also, if I spice into the "hot" wire with the resistor and ground the lead out of the resistor to the body, would that work?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts