Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, the radio in my 2013 5dr isnt horrible, but with weather cooling down, the windows will follow. With the windows up, the radio does fine. When down, its lacking to say the least (I don't blast music, but I like it loud when I want to jam a little. Usually on the interstate). Which would give me more bang for the buck. Upgrading all 4 speakers? Or upgrading the radio?

Obvious, both would make things quite awesome, but lets do one at a time (new car payment means less money in my pocket to start with). Im thinking speakers, that way I dont have to worry about the XM antenna and such. If so, what size? Are these fairly easy to install without screwing up my doors and wherever the back speakers are, nor a need to solder?

I have no plans to put in an amp or giant speakers in the back. I just want better sound.

Or heck, a quick google search brought this up. I lose xm, but I know these (at least by name) are good components. If this might be a quick and easy install (the radio concerns me) I would go this route:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-QfS4bbUL3VU/carsystems/Hyundai-Accent-Stereos-and-Speakers.html

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I see there is a short edit time.

I saw the sticky and found one on the speakers. It sounds fairly routine, except for the need to drill the rivets. Since that thread is from 2011, I wonder if rivets are still used?

·
Registered
305 Posts
It's a personal thing...some people ( like me ) can live with a speaker upgrade alone. ( Haven't done it on my SE ). If you're looking for any kind of bass slam with the windows down, I doubt you'll get that without installing an amp. I'm assuming you've played with the bass/mid/treble and the " Power Bass" settings on the radio. After having the car for a couple months I bumped up the P Bass setting and it made a "significant enough" difference. If you're used to 100 watts/channel, nice components and a 24 band equalizer then that won't cut it...however, you may be surprised that you can get respectable sound out of the stock unit. Overall, this is the best sounding stock unit ( versus Toyota and Mazda ) that I've had over the last ten years. I think my car stereo upgrade days are pretty much over though....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My last car had a semi decent radio, but at higher volumes, would get distorted. But it had the 4x100 built in amp. (Cheapy walmart Pioneer radio) And yeah, ive adjusted the treble and bass as well as power bass. But i max it to 34 sound and with the windows down, its not enough for me.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yeah, if strong bass and clearer, punchier sound is the goal then I don't think you can get that w/out an amp regardless if you upgrade to a better head unit. At one time, I was considering the small Alpine digital amp that's a little larger than a cigarette pack. That'll get you around 40 watts/channel but it requires that you play around with the wires in the harness ( it's Alpine deck-specific ) or have someone hard wire it...if that isn't the same thing by the time you're done with it. It's nice that you can mount it behind the dash but I don't know if they even sell it anymore. No, I think you should save your money and get the whole package replaced as it doesn't sound like you're gonna be satisfied. Get a real spare tire first though if you don't have one :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts