Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting new winter tires (probably Blizzak DM-V1) on a new separate set of new wheels for my VC. Probably from Tirerack.com.

Now, the Tirerack site talks about how I have to get TPMS sensors installed and calibrated for these wheels. I do not care about TPMS, and would not want to pay $260 extra. If I skip TPMS, would I have a blinking Xmas tree in the dash w/ ABS and ESC malfunctioning?

If I have to get them, how do I get them installed? Do I order the tires and wheels uninstalled, take everything to the dealer and ask them to install TPMS, and then install the tires on the rims, and then calibrate everything.?

Rant: I like some nannies, e.g. ABS and ESC, but TPMS is just too much for my taste. I have eyeballs, and my trusty pressure gauge, and that has worked well for decades.

Any advise is appreciated.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I am thinking of getting new winter tires (probably Blizzak DM-V1) on a new separate set of new wheels for my VC. Probably from Tirerack.com.

Now, the Tirerack site talks about how I have to get TPMS sensors installed and calibrated for these wheels. I do not care about TPMS, and would not want to pay $260 extra. If I skip TPMS, would I have a blinking Xmas tree in the dash w/ ABS and ESC malfunctioning?

If I have to get them, how do I get them installed? Do I order the tires and wheels uninstalled, take everything to the dealer and ask them to install TPMS, and then install the tires on the rims, and then calibrate everything.?

Rant: I like some nannies, e.g. ABS and ESC, but TPMS is just too much for my taste. I have eyeballs, and my trusty pressure gauge, and that has worked well for decades.

Any advise is appreciated.

"No" TPMS on Canadian models.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you finn too Seppo?
Yep, born in Finland, lived in US for a decade, married a Canadian, and ended up in Ottawa. The nice winter climate makes it feel like home here :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just as an update I ended up ordering a set of 245/65/17 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1's and new steel wheels for my Veracruz, all installed and balanced including free mounting for $1,156.40 CAD from walltowalltires.com

I did quite a lot of research and compared pricing, and this ended up being the best deal. I really would have wanted to get Nokian Hakkapeliitta's, but the price was just too expensive for seemingly minor additional improvement. The Blizzak's are already getting great reviews e.g. on Tirerack and elsewhere.

I will follow-up if there are any issues, and in any case when I have driven the tires http://www.hyundai-forums.com/#a bit...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Seppo. Thanks for posting this thread.

I am getting a set of winters for my 2012 Veracruz and wanted to confirm whether or not your Veracruz had TPMS. (I'm assuming not as another poster said TPMS was not included in Canadian models and you didn't comment on the issue after your tires were installed).

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
what kind are you getting? been tossing arouind the DM-V1's, UltraGrip ICE WRT's and NItto NT-SN2.

·
Registered
3 Posts
what kind are you getting? been tossing arouind the DM-V1's, UltraGrip ICE WRT's and NItto NT-SN2.
Hi there. It came down to Nokian Hakka R2 SUV or TOYO Observe GSi5....I went with the TOYOs....both are great choices (but expensive!) The TOYO dealer that I was familiar with was closer to home than the Nokian dealer.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Seppo. Thanks for posting this thread.

I am getting a set of winters for my 2012 Veracruz and wanted to confirm whether or not your Veracruz had TPMS. (I'm assuming not as another poster said TPMS was not included in Canadian models and you didn't comment on the issue after your tires were installed).

Thanks!
I do not have TPMS. I got the wheels w/o them, and everything works OK.

Also, I have now put something like 2000 km on the DM-1Vs and have to say that I really like them. Good road feel, no extra vibrations or stiffness, and not too noisy at all. Unfortunately I have not yet had a chance to test them in a good blizzard, but I am looking forward to that :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I do not have TPMS. I got the wheels w/o them, and everything works OK.
Thanks for the reply.

Also, I have now put something like 2000 km on the DM-1Vs and have to say that I really like them. Good road feel, no extra vibrations or stiffness, and not too noisy at all. Unfortunately I have not yet had a chance to test them in a good blizzard, but I am looking forward to that :)
Be careful what you wish for! LOL! :p

Enjoy the winter!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Be careful what you wish for! LOL! :p

Enjoy the winter!
Thanks.

I thought about this, and I mean, driving a good sturdy AWD vehicle like VC, with good tires, on severe e.g. relatively deep snow (10-20cm) conditions (but still fundamentally safe), and then perhaps having to turn on AWD manually and turn off the ESC, and manually working gears for maximum control and grip, knowing what you do, feeling the machine, transmission and tires to do their work is something I really enjoy in the winter time...it is like using any precision tool for what it is meant to do.

And the beauty is that it does not have to be fast, 10-20km/h is often plenty fast, driving on the unplowed streets in the middle of the storm...

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
And the beauty is that it does not have to be fast, 10-20km/h is often plenty fast, driving on the unplowed streets in the middle of the storm...
especially considering the AWD shuts off above 25 mph or so.

i honestly think that is why i see so many SUV's involved in winter crashes...they don't realize they aren't any different than any other vehicle on the road above 25 mph.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
I thought about this, and I mean, driving a good sturdy AWD vehicle like VC, with good tires, on severe e.g. relatively deep snow (10-20cm) conditions (but still fundamentally safe), and then perhaps having to turn on AWD manually and turn off the ESC, and manually working gears for maximum control and grip, knowing what you do, feeling the machine, transmission and tires to do their work is something I really enjoy in the winter time...it is like using any precision tool for what it is meant to do.
Totally agree Seppo... I used to do the same in my AWD Santa Fe. But you've got to admit the hypocrisy of claiming to be an automotive purist and then reaching for that AWD button while shifting your faux-manual transmission. A REAL man drives a '67 Chevy with three on the tree and bald tires :p

PS: 20-30 cm in the forecast for Ottawa tonight.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Totally agree Seppo... I used to do the same in my AWD Santa Fe. But you've got to admit the hypocrisy of claiming to be an automotive purist and then reaching for that AWD button while shifting your faux-manual transmission. A REAL man drives a '67 Chevy with three on the tree and bald tires :p

PS: 20-30 cm in the forecast for Ottawa tonight.
I agree, I learned winter driving on a tail happy 1969 Ford Cortina w/ 2 buckets full of sand in the trunk for some resemblance of traction. Slightly different from sitting on a leather seat in a climate controlled 7-seater AWD vehicle...

On that note, a nice practice run this morning on unplowed roads w/ 20cm or so of heavy slushy snow, packed to ice in some intersections. Very happy with Blizzaks, very good, predictable grip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts