Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
I used to work at a dealer... and personally, there's not enough of a discount in my opinion - unless for some reason they are really lowering the price. Most of the time, they take off the delivery fee ($1,000-$1,400 usually). That might be around a $20/m difference. If it has 6,000-10,000 km on it and you don't know how it was driven... i'd be tempted for a new one.
If you don't drive much, you could be losing out on 6-12 months of warranty, if you drive a lot and would hit 10,000 km quick, then maybe not such a big deal.

When I had a demo, It was always ***** n' span - other sales reps demos looked like they were lived in... and only got cleaned up when it was time to start "showing" them...

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
IMO, more positives than negatives in buying this demo.

The negative, no choice on how it's equipped and color.

The positives, should save more money off of MSRP, and perhaps get the dealer to throw in some goodies. The 2014s are out, so deals on 2013s should be good, and demos even better. And you still get the 5 year and 10 year warranties.

Just make sure it is clean of dents, scratches, and any interior damage/wear.

John

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
If you don't drive much, you could be losing out on 6-12 months of warranty, if you drive a lot and would hit 10,000 km quick, then maybe not such a big deal.
Hmmm, we seem to think differently. :)

I was thinking the warranty time started when the car was purchased and registered by the buyer, and therefor wouldn't lose any time on the warranty. But could lose mileage driven on the warranty.
John

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,225 Posts
How many miles were on it? If there wasn't a huge discount on a true demonstrator then it makes little sense. I bought a demo from a Ford dealer one time but it came with an $8,000 discount and it looked brand new and still had the new car smell and had never been smoked in. If this one has been smoked in at any time, mark it off the list entirely unless they will mark it down about 10 grand.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The debate for Demo vs New for me is not a pro and con debate but a value debate.

Compare final cost of the two and see if that savings is worth losing some warranty miles and age. Just make sure you are looking at final costs. I had a buddy that did this once with a Ford. He thought he got such a great deal because they gave him 5k off and car only had 1500 miles on it. When I went online and look at average selling prices in the area for that car his deal wasn't so good. He gave up 1500 miles on the warranty in exchange for would was really at best $500.

As for used. It's a personal thing but I'm cautious of used cars less than 1 year old. I would want to know why someone traded in a car so quickly. They lost a lot of value doing that so there had to be a could reason. You should be covered under warranty but I would still be cautious.

·
Registered
884 Posts
As for used. It's a personal thing but I'm cautious of used cars less than 1 year old. I would want to know why someone traded in a car so quickly. They lost a lot of value doing that so there had to be a could reason. You should be covered under warranty but I would still be cautious.
The last part of your post kind of makes me wonder what happened to all those (1,000`s) of water damaged cars from Hurricane 'Sandy' last year?

I know some were totaled, but what about the others?....I bet they ended up on some dealers lot..:eek:

·
Registered
181 Posts
The last part of your post kind of makes me wonder what happened to all those (1,000`s) of water damaged cars from Hurricane 'Sandy' last year?

I know some were totaled, but what about the others?....I bet they ended up on some dealers lot..:eek:
It's called title washing. A car that is total out for flooding is recorded on the title and is required by law that you notify the person buying that this is a flood damaged car. Now take the car to Ohio, re-title it and it's no longer a flood damaged car, on paper that is.

·
Registered
163 Posts
FYI, as long as the vehicle is being titled as "New", the warranty will begin at whatever miles it is at.

For example, one dealer was trying to get me to buy a demo with 4,000 miles on it. (Owner's wife had it for a bit) Warranty would then go to 104,000 etc.

(I will add the disclaimer that this is US... other countries may operate differently)

·
Registered
181 Posts
FYI, as long as the vehicle is being titled as "New", the warranty will begin at whatever miles it is at.

For example, one dealer was trying to get me to buy a demo with 4,000 miles on it. (Owner's wife had it for a bit) Warranty would then go to 104,000 etc.

(I will add the disclaimer that this is US... other countries may operate differently)
That must vary from manufacture to manufacture then. The paper work for the ford list the mile at deliver as 1500 and some change but the original odometer as 8 miles which is the number the warranty started from.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Hmmm, we seem to think differently. :)

I was thinking the warranty time started when the car was purchased and registered by the buyer, and therefor wouldn't lose any time on the warranty. But could lose mileage driven on the warranty.
John

Regarding the above comments, there may be different ways of when the warranty "starts" with different countries/car makers. As for Ontario+Chrysler, it was 3/60,000km & 5/100,000km for the warranty - period. If a demo had 6-8,000 km on it, so be it, you're losing out on that bit or warranty. Really, at the end of the day, only the people that drove very little that would maximise the yearly part of the warranty cared about it... if you're planning on keeping the car for 200,000km+, what's 6 or 8,000 matter?

Just in my own PERSONAL opinion, if i'm lucky enough to buy a brand new car (which the 2013 SFS was my first brand new car in my life), then i'm going to spend the extra $1,000 - get what I want in features/colour.
I was presented with a good deal on the dark blue limited SFS Demo when I was at the dealer, but I wanted Black - and the SE Model, not the limited... and that's what i got!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for their thoughts,

Their is no demo or used SFS that i actually looked at but just taking a step back to think it over before i decide to go ahead with a new purchase and see what would be best for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts