Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a 2010 Santa Fe Elite diesel. I am a woman owner..... (no laughing allowed!) It has 103,000kms on the clock. Should I consider purchasing the Manufacturers Warranty for it? It is NZ$2100 for a 3 year period for just about everything...... Sounds good to me I suppose, but a lot of money if generally nothing much goes wrong. Advice would be appreciated. Bev:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is an auto. Blow the conflicting advice - yes / no. I cannot afford hefty repairs & am in mid sixties........ money not growing on my trees! Heh, heh. I have insurance for my home, car, contents etc, mechanical repairs? $2,1000 maybe huh!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Presumably it had the standard New Zealand warranty of 3 years/100,000 km which it's now just out of. The Korean-built Santa Fe diesels seem to have an above average record for reliability, at least here in the UK, and not been affected by some of the problems on US-built Santa Fe's.

Depending on when New Zealand model years changed it could be the earlier 2006-2009 belt-cam 110/115kw engine with 5-speed transmissions or the later chain-cam 145kw engine with 6-speed transmissions.

Almost all warranties exclude fair wear and tear so a number of significant things won't be covered. NZ$2,100 sounds a lot of money but may be proportionate to the high cost of cars in NZ.

See if you can find out any consensus among petrolheads in NZ, male & female, about the general value of after-market warranties there, across all brands.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hi Bev,

In my opinion, how much would your mileage be in the coming 3 years?
It has done some 35,000 miles per year now.
So if you are planning many miles you could divide the NZ$ 2,100 by the mileage expected to get an up cost per mile or say it will cost NZ$ 700 a year on top for ease of mind.
Furthermore if you are not a technical person yourself and always need to get external help I would say, is it worth the hassle in all these 3 years?
But indeed the wear of a car is not covered.
My car is 9 years now, I bought it 3 years ago and did not have any major issues with large costs yet. Only timing belt and stuff is coming up now.
It is like any insurance, a gamble on effectiveness, but that counts in both ways (you and the insurance company).
Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
788 Posts
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your purchase. If it were me I would go with the warranty. Just a bit of peace of mind.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I live rurally with a steep, hilly, cornery road to get anywhere, about 25kms from 'one-street-town' and 45 from a small country town. (double it per trip!) I would expect to do 25-35,000kms a year. I live 22kms from the boat ramp and needed a car to tow my 520m glass boat there & back, also, now is the time to consider cost of diesel so wanted an economic car to run on 2wd, but able to put into 4wd when needed on the beach & boat ramp. I am not into 4 wheel off-roading at all.
You reinforced my gut feeling that I just should get the mechanical insurance, and put your way of NZ$700 per year it doesn't sound so bad! I particularly wanted this years model, the 2010, or upwards, as the AA said I would be better to get a 'RSPEC engine' (I think I have it right) which came in that year. This vehicle has indeed done a lot of km's for its' age. Most people want lesser k's but, it will do what I need it to and, truth be told, I cannot afford any more! For you lot out there in the ether, info : it cost NZ$32,000 (very good dealer) down from NZ$35,9990 and getting monsoons, rear parking sensors, and 3 free service checks with it as well! Yippee. Pleased with the deal, now to the insurances......sigh

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hi Bev,
RT: you are correct, the word mileage put me in the mood of miles per year. A pitty it isn't kmage. Sorry for the mixup.
Bev, you are living exactly as I am. Rurally, hilly, my house acces is via a 30%+ steep hill road. Our town has pop. 120.
The Santa performs as it should, 2WD when possible , 4WD when needed.
I don't even notice it going into 4WD mode, only thinking it should be in 4WD at that 30% climb.
And 100k kms for a diesel isn't that much. Mine also had 105k when I bought it. Now it has some 205k and still going strong.
To put the extra insurance costs even in more perspective: NZ$ 700 a year is some NZ$ 2 per day. So it will set you back a burger a day.
You gain less weight so the car will have a better mileage (here we go again) per liter of fuel.
Would you have bought the car even when it had a paying price of NZ$ 34,100 ?
Now you would only gain NZ$ 2000 on that buy, with the RSPEC engine, monsoons, parking sensors, 3 service checks.
Plus 3 years of no hassle.
Good luck with your Yippee Santa,
Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting snippet : The Hyundai dealer quoted me NZ$2,335 for a 3 year Manufacturers mechanical insurance on my car - which I was going to take. UNTIL I just talked to Fresh River Finance who are going to lend me the money to complete the sale. (I can only put down $15,000 myself.) THEIR quote is for 4 (FOUR) years insurance with the firm my mechanic has had dealings with and recommends (Drivesure I think) and is NZ$1,335! Massive difference huh?
Bev

·
Registered
843 Posts
So you see, car dealers are in fact no finance company so they make big bucks on interests on finance deals for their car sales, like loan sharks do.
Finance companies do make profits but they are more regulated by governments and banking regulations. They also have to compete to other banks. Car dealers are free to ask what they want, so if you do not pay attention you will pay, a lot.
I never financed any car at a dealership.
So in this case you pay a lot less with even an extra year.
The burger gets smaller.
Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chuckles Paul. I, too, have never previously financed a vehicle, my first time! In fact, never before bought from a dealer but realised taking finance from anyone (other than my bank - who does not lend on cars) needed checking and comparisons made. Quite pedantic I am, hence finding out. It has been enlightening as I have never had a loan before either! And, boy, what a difference in dealing with Fresh River Finance, no penalties for early repayment (well, $50), no penalty for paying more each week, interest rate 3% difference etc. I also went to 2 mechanics / owner-operated garages recommended as 'honourable, won't rip you off etc' and asked them about mechanical insurers and who they would or would not deal with, and why. Enormously helpful. That I could not find out on my own. So, the deal is done, and I am content. Not getting the car until next week, cannot wait. So, bye for now, and hope I do not have to contact this forum for advice of the breakdown kind!
Bev

1 - 12 of 12 Posts