Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello anyone who may read this. I have recently bought a 2016 Azera (base) after my wife had an unfortunate accident which totaled her Ford Fusion (a car she hated to lose). We shopped all over the region for another Fusion with the options she had in her old car and was unable to find one she liked. A dealer some miles away from us in North Carolina showed us an Azera as a last-ditch effort to get us to buy something from them. I was very hesitant to bite on it since I had done absolutely no research on the Azera, it wasn't on my radar, and I had only vaguely remembered that name. In fact, there were no Hyundais on our list of cars to look at, other than a Sonata we test drove elsewhere and were not impressed with at all. Long story short, my wife liked the Azera they showed us, and that was it.
So we get the car home and only a couple of days later I found out the aftermarket sunroof (not the panoramic type) was leaking and I got a very bad feeling of regret for buying the Azera, thinking the dealer stuck us with a problem car. Dealer told us we would have to bring it back to NC for them to look at it. I wasn't really willing to drive it all the way back down there to have them fiddle with it so I looked around locally for a shop. Luckily, I found an upholstery guy who was very familiar with the aftermarket company (Webasto) and he was able to make a 5-minute adjustment to the sunroof to fix it, and didn't charge me anything.
Anyway, after driving the car around for a couple of days I warmed up to it. Nice power, handling, room, and a boatload of nice amenities. The car really looks good compared against other Hyundais. Now I don't feel bad about buying it. I have also noticed no other examples of Azeras on the road in my area, other than maybe one judging by the tail lights.
I have done some reading about direct-injected engines and it has given me some concern since this car has almost 80k miles on it. Has anyone had issues with these Lambda engines and carbon buildup? Does anyone have a strategy for protecting against this, like the oil catch cans I've read about, or the "Top Tier" gasoline?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi! I just recently bought a 2017 Azera and I figure I'll buy a bottle of seafoam, add a few ounces to the crankcase and the rest into the (at least 3/4 full) tank a few days before every oil change. I bought mine with 27k miles and felt the idle, especially when cold, to be a bit rough for such a new car. Seafoam smoothed it out nicely, and I had an appt to get a full synth oil change that weekend. On a side note, found a groupon for my mechanic shop that's great imo, 4 full synth oil changes for the year for $125. That's my plan, hope it helps!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I'm going to do the full synthetic oil myself. I took mine to the local Hyundai dealership and I found out the oil they use is Mobil Special, which is not synthetic, it's just their bulk oil. The guy at the service counter said that the Azera is the "best car Hyundai has ever made". When I asked about carbon buildup he did say they recommend doing a cleaning every 30k miles or so. And then he said the Azera "shouldn't give me any issues". He said they see Sonatas there all the time with engine problems, but never an Azera. Well, I'm thinking that might have something to do with the fact that there are sooo many more Sonatas on the road than Azeras, but I don't know what to believe. The car did have a clean bill of health though, no codes on the computer or anything.
As for how my Azera idles, it's smooth as butter. So I guess these are good signs. 4 synthetic oil changes for $125 is a pretty darn good deal, so you got lucky!

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Limited; 2019 Tucson Ultimate
33 Posts
..He said they see Sonatas there all the time with engine problems, but never an Azera.
Also, two entirely different engines. Sonata's are 4-cylinder (some turbo), and Azera's are all 6-cylinder.

I just lost my 2016 Azera this past year due to end-of lease, and REALLY regret not keeping it. Hyundai dropped the line after 2017 (actually it is more or less the Genesis G70 now). One of the best cars I've ever had.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts