Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've just been to Costco as a bulge has appeared on the side of my tyre and I'm assuming I will need a new one. They told me they could only do michelin in the size I needed and that all of the tyres would need to be the same as it "will mess with the diff". I don't have a clue about cars so I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on this for me?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
The tyres will need to be the same size as each other but you don't need all the same brand.

4x4 owners in North America get obsessive about minor differences in tyre diameter, eg between new and worn, but Europeans generally don't bother as long as they're the same size.

If you want a selection of tyres to choose from, try the websites of My Tyres, Oponeo, Camskill, Black Circles, Tyre Traders, Tyremen - they can all arrange fitting at a local tyre place or do delivery only and let you arrange fitting wherever you want.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I think Costco only want to sell you 4 new tyres and make a bundle.
You need to have left - right the same tyre size and brand.
If only one is to be replaced you should buy an exact same tyre (brand and size numbers).
If not possible you now might replace it with your spare tyre (if the same type) and buy a new spare tyre.
Different brands left to right I suppose is forbidden in some countries (like mine). Front to back doesn't matter. The car is normally only front driven.
4WD kicks in when front revolutions vary a lot from rear.
The diff stuff they warn about is that the car senses revolutions of the tyres and they need to mach up left- right in size (so revolutions are equal) and when 4x4 also front - back.
Otherwise the ABS could have continues difficulties or the 4WD could kick in unwantedly.
But there are margins, so new or a bit worn isn't that serious.
Size matters.
Brands only for smooth or loud noise or economics.
Good luck,
Paul

1 - 3 of 3 Posts