Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,
Just bought the 2013 HSH White with Grey leather interior (didn't opt for the panoramic roof) for my wife. I have to say... WOW!

Really amazed by this car. This is our first Hyundai and well our first hybrid. She used to drive a Honda Pilot before and geeez, talk about gas. She's a at home mom so even though she didn't drive it a lot, we had to fill up once every 5 days (with Mon - Fri being very light driving).

Now with this car, it's been 9 days and we're still at 3/4 tank gas left (bought it 7/30 just before the rebates ended). We're actually wanting to go drive more because of this and loving every minute of it! This has to be one of the best investments we have ever done and lucky for me, my wife thinks I'm a genius (when it's all thanks to the car).

So far she's been doing 40 MPG with mainly city driving but I want to do better of course. I've seen a few posts here, one mainly on 70+ MPG so I'm shooting for at least 50! It's created a great competition for both of us, we're trying to beat the other person's score :)

So now that we have the car, I don't really have any complaints at all, it's actually more spacious then the Pilot.... which is surprising. I have been thinking though of any upgrades or things to do to it to improve safety or MPG or anything else.

I'm a big fan of HIDs so I'm heavily looking into that right now, it's a great safety thing and if either of us drive at night, I want to make sure we have 100% visibility.
The second thing I'm doing is getting proper tinting in the car, with my 20 Month old, I need to make sure he is nice and cool in when the sun is going nuts.

Is there any other things you guys recommend that I do?

Thanks
Reggie

·
Registered
66 Posts
Congrat on your new HSH:00000732:
I strongly recommend tinting the windows
Not only it is make your car look good & reduce heat
but it minimize the chances from breaking in

·
Registered
218 Posts
Welcome to the forum; you will find a lot of great info here. I like the window tint on my sonata. Keeps me cool and its a nice finishing touch in my opinion.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Welcome!

I love my white hybrid (I have the tan leather).

Only mods I have done are LED's in the map/dome lights and LED's in the trunk (just a bulb replacement, not a panel or strip like some others have done).

I will probably at some point do HIDs and tint as well. Also, I am looking at LED's in the fogs (for color matching only) and deleting the DRL function from the high beams (or re-routing to front parking lights), again at least partially for color matching purposes.

Oh, and I would like new wheels (the 16" rims on the '11 and '12 are atrocious), but I can't probably afford that for a while (at least in good conscience).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jp, if/when you do the fog to led, please post it. I'd like to see how that works/looks

for everyone else, yup this sat getting my tint done :). So far I'm loving this community, I've been finding so much useful information! I'm being a complete nerd right now and checking all the threads.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
By the way, you have the EXACT model that we got (and right around the same time too): White exterior, grey interior, limited model w/o sunroof so I can use roof-rack.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Oh, and don't be disappointed when you don't get 70 MPG unless you check your meter going downhill right after you reset it. I'm getting around 54 MPG and it's taken a bit of practice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:00000732: Reggie
If your getting 40 mpg in the city your wife is doing great. That 70 mpg is being performed by the World record holder of MPG Wayne Gerdes (XCEL). If she can get 43-47 highway she will be at the top of her class. Love our tinted windows.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/229-s...steady-state-speed-mpg-runs-after-update.html

Beating the EPA - The Why’s and How to Hypermile - CleanMPG Forums
thank you sir! I'll definitely be watching those for sure. Right now I'm really interested in the blue drive vs. black drive discussion going on.

2 newbie questions for the folks here:
What is ICE
How long do you let the car warm up in the morning (first start up)

Since it's starting on EV, I'm wondering what to do, wait like other cars or just drive?

·
Registered
198 Posts
ICE: internal combustion engine. Personally, if its not winter, I do not let it "warm up" at idle. There's no point to that and you'll just waste gas. It warms up faster by driving it.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Definitely no need to try and warm-up the car from a cold start prior to driving. I just hit the "Start" button, wait for the warning lights to turn off, then shift into reverse and back out of the garage. Remember that starting from a stop and pretty much all first-gear driving is done on electric motor only. The engine will do its own thing to heat up as required.

Regarding your Blue-drive vs. Black Drive, I don't think anyone with a 2013 has started experimenting on that yet. If you do, please post your results!

G

·
Welcome, lots of good info here, even though I stll havent purchased my first upgrade would be the spare tire kit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks guys! love the fast reponse and I will start playing with BlueD vs. BlackD on our 2013.
Hopefully Blue does better because I know my wife will be too lazy to turn it off.

·
Banned
694 Posts
On the 2013 we haven't played around with 'black drive' at all but on the 2011 we did switch to it on colder mornings just to get to the 4 lane.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^ haha. more like the wifey wont let me drive it at all.... she's doing 41/42 mpg average on every fillup with about 70 to 75% city
i on the other hand cant even drive it 42 miles cuz she wont let me haha, so i havent even tried black drive yet :(

but i am about to order some HIDs for it :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Welcome, lots of good info here, even though I stll havent purchased my first upgrade would be the spare tire kit.
Possible cheaper alternative...

I was told that kit was $300+ not sure but I choose to put one together myself for my 2011 basic as so:
I got a 16" RIM and a used Michelin tire (Same size or slightly larger than what is on my car) from Discount tire $75. I bought a floor jack from Walmart and already had a universal lug wrench. Total cost under $135 tax included. Fits in the truck space perfectly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts