Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and I have a few questions about my 2006 Azera Limited. First, a little background and introduction to the car. I bought my Azera January 2016 after going to the dealer expecting to buy a 2008 BMW 335xi. I test drove the BMW and liked it, but I was not loving the way the interior had worn so I decided not to go with it (I still want one though lol). I was told about an Azera, which I had never heard of, that someone had just traded in. I test drove it and instantly fell in love with the car, signed the papers, and named her Jin-ju ("Pearl" in Korean). When I purchased Jin-ju she had 85,249 miles and now she has 116,707 miles on the odometer and looks as good as she did the day I got her (Minus some bugs on the front bumper, as well as, some dog hair and dog prints in the back which I need to clean up). Anyway, enough about that. I have a few questions in regard to modifications. I would like to add a CAI as I have seen others put in a Weapon R CAI for a V6 Sonata (Is this a good CAI for a 2006 Azera?), but I have read in a thread that the Azera has a stock CAI already (It sure doesn't look like any CAI I have seen), is that statement true and if so would it be worth replacing it with an aftermarket CAI? Also, I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions for other modifications, such as a new exhaust system, that can be done to improve HP? I'm not a super experienced "car guy", but I have helped friends with their projects and want to do a few projects on Jin-ju if possible, that said I am not very knowledgeable on what modifications are available. I'm not looking to raise the HP to the 350HP I have seen others do, but I would like to raise it closer to 300HP.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
-Gill
20180718_185233.jpg

20180718_185332.jpg

20180718_185359.jpg

20180718_185428.jpg

·
Registered
78 Posts
Gill,

Welcome to the forum !

People buy HP but what they really want is TORQUE...torque what you feel generally through the RPM range . Truth be told, with the HP & torque curves our TGs have, the only thing a CAI will do for you is give you sound. That said, unless intake sound is important to you, you'll simply be wasting money that could be better spent on your dog(s) and/or family. Our TG is NOT a sports sedan (much like the Maxima for the same price point)...what is IS is a boaty, floaty, comfy, family sedan (what I call my Korean Buick) that can last 300K+ miles without burning a drop of oil (much as mine has). The 335xi is a different animal altogether...great car, albeit in a completely different class and very expensive to maintain. Good luck on your sweet new ride !

Cheers,
:beer:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow. That's an unexpectedly absurd comparison between two profoundly disparate vehicles: Hyundai Azera vs. BMW 335xi. Just... wow. There is simply no reasonable way to objectively compare the typical attributes of those two cars. Regardless of my opinion, you managed.

A 2006 Azera is arguably the worst year of that model. Granted, Hyundai worked out some of the more insidious issues in succeeding years, but that really doesn't benefit you in the slightest. The Hyundai brand has gained respect over the past five years or so by introducing reliable, well-received cars to the market. Thus, a Hyundai built within this decade is a better purchase; though again, this information doesn't benefit you. Take solace your very prudent choice of a Hyundai over the BMW, the latter a historically unreliable brand that is absurdly expensive to maintain. That '06 Azera comes with surprise expenses and design-built annoyances, but at least you can afford to maintain thing and replace parts as they break.

That said...
Do NOT retrofit a cold air intake (CAI) to your '06 Azera. Plenty of independent peer-vetted documentation is available online for your perusal (or, if reading isn't your thing, YouTube) that explain in any level of technical detail you can digest exactly why aftermarket CAI is absolutely bogus and a bad idea.

"Jin-ju", poorly engineered as he/she/it is, was equipped with a engine-management computer that expects certain air-flow parameters. Should you replace the plastic air intake bits with a shiny CAI, you change those parameters--possibly far out of spec--and Jin-ju's computer will compensate... adversely. This means the reward for your expense and effort will be worse performance, and most certainly the constant reminder that all is not well under the bonnet in the form of a MIL (aka, "check engine" light).

Aftermarket CAI actually deliver hot air to the intake plenum! Kinda counterintuitive, no? The input end--that's the part with the air filter attached--of these things always draw ambient air from INSIDE the engine compartment. By comparison, the Azera's--er'm.. sorry.. Jin-ju's plastic bits--all of which were designed by degree'd mechanical engineers speCAIlizing in automotive engineering--operate optimally with the 3.5l Lambda engine to draw air from outside the engine compartment.

Performance gains via CAI is a myth insofar as daily drivers are concerned. Don't believe the marketing jive. Review independent, objective reviews: you will find a total count if ZERO that recommend retrofitting CAI to daily driver vehicles. Oh.. and you have never "seen others get 350HP" from their vehicles, so just stop kidding yourself.

Good 'ol Jin-ju...
Enjoy her/his/it's awful suspension, leaky valve cover gaskets, intermittent electrical gremlins, plasticy interior, wonky transmission, problematic timing-belt guides, mediocre mileage, inventory of ashtrays (?), et al.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and I have a few questions about my 2006 Azera Limited. First, a little background and introduction to the car. I bought my Azera January 2016 after going to the dealer expecting to buy a 2008 BMW 335xi. I test drove the BMW and liked it, but I was not loving the way the interior had worn so I decided not to go with it (I still want one though lol). I was told about an Azera, which I had never heard of, that someone had just traded in. I test drove it and instantly fell in love with the car, signed the papers, and named her Jin-ju ("Pearl" in Korean). When I purchased Jin-ju she had 85,249 miles and now she has 116,707 miles on the odometer and looks as good as she did the day I got her (Minus some bugs on the front bumper, as well as, some dog hair and dog prints in the back which I need to clean up). Anyway, enough about that. I have a few questions in regard to modifications. I would like to add a CAI as I have seen others put in a Weapon R CAI for a V6 Sonata (Is this a good CAI for a 2006 Azera?), but I have read in a thread that the Azera has a stock CAI already (It sure doesn't look like any CAI I have seen), is that statement true and if so would it be worth replacing it with an aftermarket CAI? Also, I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions for other modifications, such as a new exhaust system, that can be done to improve HP? I'm not a super experienced "car guy", but I have helped friends with their projects and want to do a few projects on Jin-ju if possible, that said I am not very knowledgeable on what modifications are available. I'm not looking to raise the HP to the 350HP I have seen others do, but I would like to raise it closer to 300HP.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
-Gill
View attachment 413323

View attachment 413325

View attachment 413327

View attachment 413329
You did real good on providing information.
I paste this into a reply to all new members about how to post. You seem to know most of it.

Best practices for requesting help:

* Be sure you are in the correct forum for your vehicle.
* Do a seach for your problem. A lot of stuff has been asked and answered.
* Do not double post for the same problem.
* Give the model year....Engine size...transmission type (auto or standard)
* VIN number can be very helpful.
* Did you buy the vehicle new, if not, how many miles were on it when purchased? How many miles on it now?
* Describe the problem the best you can.
* Tell us what has been tried, if anything.
* If the vehicle has been to a repair facility it would be nice if you can scan or take picture of the bill and attach it to the post.
* If your vehicle is under warranty you should have the dealer check it out. If it's an issue they see many times they will generate a safety recall or do a TSB. This is how they know.

This information can save a lot of time and get you the answers you need much faster.

Thanks,
Welcome aboard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts