Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - first off new around here after just purchasing a 11 plate ix20 Style with very low miles & fsh and finally saying goodbye to my old (but faithful and reliable I gotta say) Daewoo Tacuma CDX

Love the ix20 to be honest (reason I bought it I guess! :) )

The thing is, when I go to start the car with my key... dash lights up but doesn't start. Yet if I put foot on the clutch and then turn key... it starts?? Is this normal? some kinda anti theft thing?? .. or perhaps a glitch... :confused:

I am planning on calling dealer tommorrow to ask.. but as I came across this forum thought I would ask you other owners

thanks - Ged :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Welcome,
The clutch in start is normal, it becomes second nature to depress the clutch to start, I think its a safety thing if it was left in gear

Barrie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Barrie .. kinda makes sense as safety thing incase left in gear!! duh... why didnt I think of that? lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Last few cars I've owned have had a clutch interlock to start. As already said it becomes second nature to depress clutch before starting.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It surprises me the number of people who start the car without depressing the clutch, as not doing so puts extra strain on the starter motor and battery. Having the lights, radio and fan on adds to the problem.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Very true. It's the way we were taught in the "old days" for exactly the reasons you've stated plus maybe removing the risk of trying to start a car in gear and having it jump forward.

It's good practice but if you don't understand how cars work you'll never see the need for it unless someone tells you why...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I presume the old system of starting a car with a flat battery where you had a push or ran down a hill and lifted the clutch will not work on cars that have this system.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I presume the old system of starting a car with a flat battery where you had a push or ran down a hill and lifted the clutch will not work on cars that have this system.
Interesting question, but I cant see why it wont start
The system only stops the starter from working

Barrie

·
Registered
77 Posts
I can only presume you would have to coast down the hill with foot on clutch, making sure your ignition was on, and then lift the clutch. Then hope for the best....................

·
Registered
124 Posts
I can only presume you would have to coast down the hill with foot on clutch, making sure your ignition was on, and then lift the clutch. Then hope for the best....................
You need battery voltage to power up the fuel pump , unlike an older car with a carb it needs fuel pressure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts