Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2003 Santa Fe with the 2.7 for free. It's in decent shape, but has not been maintained well. I've had it for a couple weeks and have installed new struts, shocks, remote starter with keyless entry, hatch struts and I'm waiting for wheels and tires to get here. I have sway bar links and bushings to install today. I will be ordering the timing belt and water pump this week as it has almost 80k since the last belt change. It has an exhaust leak around the rear manifold so I think I will be swapping that out. It has 198k and fires up fast and shifts very smooth. I will add a good stereo and backup camera soon as well. I find it to be a comfy car and it gets great gas mileage. I may do plugs and wires as the wires look very old LOL. I'm gonna retrofit some bixenon projectors into new headlight housings soon as well.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Free is always good. The 2.7 is s great motor. My 05 Sportage has 250,000 on it. Be sure to drain and fill the transmission fluid at least every 20-30k. If your going to do plugs and wires, knock out the upstream O2s while the intake is off. I would also do the valve cover gaskets. They get hard and brittle and start to weap above 150k. Only use NTK O2s. I chased my tail for 2 months going with cheaper Boschs.my cats started to fail around. 210,000. Good luck with her.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Just got a 2003 Santa Fe with the 2.7 for free. It's in decent shape, but has not been maintained well. I've had it for a couple weeks and have installed new struts, shocks, remote starter with keyless entry, hatch struts and I'm waiting for wheels and tires to get here. I have sway bar links and bushings to install today. I will be ordering the timing belt and water pump this week as it has almost 80k since the last belt change. It has an exhaust leak around the rear manifold so I think I will be swapping that out. It has 198k and fires up fast and shifts very smooth. I will add a good stereo and backup camera soon as well. I find it to be a comfy car and it gets great gas mileage. I may do plugs and wires as the wires look very old LOL. I'm gonna retrofit some bixenon projectors into new headlight housings soon as well.
Here is a good guide for doing your timing belt.
I put in a gates kit with no problems. The guide is for a sonata, but it was a 2.7 and it worked fine. If you have a 4wd, be sure to watch the transfer case as it is know to leak at the seams and seals.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a good guide for doing your timing belt.
I put in a gates kit with no problems. The guide is for a sonata, but it was a 2.7 and it worked fine. If you have a 4wd, be sure to watch the transfer case as it is know to leak at the seams and seals.
Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got my timing belt and water pump parts in so I hope to get that done in a week or 2. I'm at 78k miles since the belt was last done so I don't want to wait too long. I also replaced the rear wiper motor this weekend. The shaft on the original one was corroded to the point of it not working. I got a new OEM rear wiper arm off eBay for ten bucks and that should be here in a few days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts