Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Two days ago, I bought a 2008 Accent that was a repo, so there are no owners manuals, only one key, and no floor mats. I don't mind, because I got a really good price on it.

However, I'm trying to figure out why the high-beam indicator light is illuminated when I drive the car with the lights off. It seems as if it's only half-lit. Once I turn on the lights, it goes out, and if I turn on the high-beams, it lights up fully.

Before I bought it, I checked out all the lights, and the driver's side parking lights fuse was blown. Put a new one in, and all the lights are working properly now.

Is this telling me something? Do I have a short somewhere, or something? Or maybe it's another blown fuse, and it's telling me? I was hoping that Hyundai Canada would give me a manual for free, but they said they've got none left, and I'd have to buy one from a dealer.

Thanks for any help!
jptrsn

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
this is not normal, you have a bad earth/ground or a voltage leak somewhere, l take it you have got some warranty with the car, take it back

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help! I looked through the pdf manual, and it's not mentioned anywhere. I also called for a service appointment, but they have nothing available until mid-May.

I might go through the harness for the dash and check the continuity between all the ground pins in the connectors and a known-good ground. I figure if there's resistance in there somewhere above a few ohms, that'll be a good hint as to where the bad ground could be.

Sound good?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it's got something to do with my running lights. Since I'm in Canada, law states that we have to have lights on even when they're not on.
This post mentions an aftermarket kit to add the DRL feature, and it ends up partially illuminating the high beams to achieve the daytime lights.

I investigated a little bit, and figured out a few things: the indicator light and the DRLs are activated at the same time (with engine running, without parking break on, and with the light selector at OFF or PARKING). I'll take a look under the hood when I get the chance to look for the DRL module - probably near the battery.

I'm thinking that's a mystery solved. I'm also guessing that it's not in the US owner's manual, because it doesn't come installed on US models.

jptrsn.

·
Super Moderator
3,814 Posts
Hyundai has declined to install DRL's for many years in the US -- they only just now got around to putting them on US-spec cars with the '11 Sonata.

I believe your DRL resistor is going to be on the frame rail underneath the battery, I guess you could start from there.  There's also a relay on the inside of the instrument panel fuse block (you'll have to stick your head under the dash to see all the relays there, they'e on the other side of the fuse block.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts