Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a used 2011 Sonata LTD. Having two issues:
1) when shutting off the car (push button) it will not turn fully off, doesn't think the fob is in the car when in fact it is. Tried changing battery didn't help the situation. Suggestions?

2) Vinegar smell. I read in a different forum that this is caused from the AC, is this common for Hyundai's? I've never had this happen before to any previous vehicles. Will i have to do this flush through the intake vent frequently? I did run the ac back from up north about 200 miles. but i didn't think that it was on recirculating i thought it was fresh air.

Anyway, any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you

·
Registered
670 Posts
:00000732: I think the trick for the first issue is to make sure the car is fully in PARK. If it doesn't shut down the first time try putting it in gear again and then back to park. Just my suggestion.
I've never heard anybody mention the second issue about a weird smell. Try changing the cabin air filter. You access it from behind the glove compartment. Very simple.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback on both...I will have to try these things for the vinegar smell.

and for the car turning off - I have put it in gear and then back to park it seems to work but just annoying esp for something I just bought with lower miles.
I may have to take to the dealer for someone to look at.

·
Registered
670 Posts
You know now that I think about it there was a TSB about the 2011 shifter knob or something within the gear selector. If you go to the dealer bring this up and maybe it won't cost you a dime.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Glenn716. I have to pick up my plates so I will bring this up with them when I go up there for my plates. I greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think it might be a TSB for the Shift Lock. The 2011s have a few TSBs due to growing pains.

Speaking of which, I really should make an appointment for mine...
lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Turbata! What is a TSB, sorry this is new car lingo to me. A car gal at heart but not sure what that one means. don't want to sound weird when I go to Hyundai later today! :)

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,286 Posts
TSB is Technical Service Bulletin. Basically, it is instructions from Hyundai corp to the dealers on how to fix a problem identified with the car.

Often times, dealers either do not have them or won't bother to look them up during a service visit. It is best to print them out and take them with you.

Also welcome to the YF club! You are local (at least to me). Best dealers here are the Luther and Morries franchises for service. The others are very hit or miss FYI.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Here is the TSB you need to fix your condition. If the shifter assembly does not fix it then have them replace the shifter knob. That's what it took to eventually fix mine after 2 shifter assemblies were replaced.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had the same problem with the push button and not shutting all the way off. What fixed mine was a new boot that goes around the shifter. Even though the shifter was going in to Park, part of the boot was keeping the sensor from reading that it was in Park all the way - dealer changed the boot in just a matter of minutes and I haven't had the problem at all since then.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks ToddC, Adogg and jimrinflorida! Your messages as well as the others have been extremely helpful! I printed off my TSB ;) and will be taking that with me when I go to the dealer today.

Anyone have a TSB for the vinegar smell?! So gross. Gotta get that fixed stat.

Adogg, thanks for the welcome...this forum has been helpful and fun. Never belonged to one before. I love my sonata but still pretty new to me and I got hail damage last week, ****. Hopefully I made a good choice with this car. Love the Twin Cities!

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,286 Posts
I love my sonata but still pretty new to me and I got hail damage last week, ****. Hopefully I made a good choice with this car. Love the Twin Cities!
I (along with many here) applaud your choice in vehicles. All of the brands have issues but it seems that Hyundai is not above average and, for the price you pay, an excellent value.

I also experienced hail but it was 2 years ago when the tornado went through North Minneapolis (remember that). That twister started in St Louis Park and both I and the Sled experienced it firsthand.

Recommend you go to an Abra or LaMetry's body shop. I went to abra and they worked miracles on my car (even my chrome trim around the windows got hit). They were also excellent when my car was keyed (incidentally, same friggin street in SLP!)

Oh and be forewarned---we are a very mod-friendly forum. IE all of us like to tinker with/customize our cars. So be prepared to spend even more money if you like reading the posts here!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts