Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 months past since I got a 2016 Sonata Sport 2.4L to replace my first car that crapped out on me.
Bought it at 9.7K & currently at 13k. Aesthetically, I love the car & overall feels really solid to drive although there's some finicky things that happen when I drive that I'm not so sure it's supposed to do or not.

1. The hesitating I've seen here in the forum when releasing the brakes at a stop, the rpms definitely do drop to sub 500 when it happens & have seen the car idle at 600 (shaky) to 750 (no shake & feels normal)

2. Steering can feel sticky when going straight & attempting to make small adjustments to stay on the road. Not as bad but can still be annoying at times

3. Very rarely in the cold with the heat on I'll get a burnt smell at times, at first I thought it was cars infront of me till I got the same smell with no cars around.

I bought this car from a Chrysler/Jeep dealer so taking it to a new dealer seems like a last choice expensive move for me since I'm attempting to save up for a house, but I'll take it if needed. Just wanted some insight & hope to be around this subs/community more.
Hyundai Gang!!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Welcome aboard! I have the same car.

I work around the first problem by keeping the air conditioning (or defroster in the winter) on all the time. The RPMs never drop for me with the additional load on the engine. If I have the AC/defroster off, I release the brake pedal and coast forward a bit after a stop, and then the engine idles as it would in a normal car.

No idea about number two, but the steering does require more effort in "sport" mode. Could this be what you are feeling?

Regarding your third issue: Have you checked the cabin air filter? When I first got my 2016, the filter had marks on it from rubbing up against the blower fan. The previous owner never changed it. vOv

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,449 Posts
Regardless of what dealer you got the car from a 2016 with 13,000 miles is still under the 5yr / 60,000 mile warranty that is transferable to any owner so dont hesitate to go to a Hyundai dealer and have it repaired under warranty. Wear items and some electronics (radio etc) are not covered for the 5/60 as they are prorated but all major components are.

The rpm drop - rough idle has been reported by a lot of members here with the 2.4l, I dont think Ive heard of it with the 2.0T engine. Id take it in and complain.

The steering on some LF models have had a problem and I think at one time I saw a TSB about a coupler (hiem joint or something) that was being replaced or lubed.

The HVAC smell , as P7hk9 suggested check the cabin filter it is a $15 dollar filer and is located behind the glove box and is replaced with out any tools. Just turn the 2 plastic retainers on the inside of the glove box and snap off the retaining bar on the rt side and the glove box will drop down to where you see the cabin air filer box. The lid pops off and the filter is easily replaced . it is a 5 min job

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have to laugh when the dealer wants $70 to do this.
Just turn the 2 plastic retainers on the inside of the glove box and snap off the retaining bar on the rt side and the glove box will drop down to where you see the cabin air filer box. The lid pops off and the filter is easily replaced . it is a 5 min job

·
Registered
94 Posts
Also for the sticky steering check if you have lane keep assist as that will sometimes try to keep the car in the center of the lane even if you’re purposely adjusting the direction. Idk if you have it as an option but it does fight with the driver sometimes ?

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,449 Posts
I have to laugh when the dealer wants $70 to do this.
I agree when my car was new I had it into the dealer for the first few oil changes, they had specials for $ 69 oil/filter with Mobil 1 and multipoint inspection and tire rotation. Then on the 3rd service at about 15,000 miles they tried to sell me an air filter and cabin filter. The engine air filter was $ 75 installed and the cabin filter was $ 50 installed. i declined and then bought the filters off the web from Del rey Hyundai (hyundaioemparts.com) for $16 air filter and $12 cabin filter with $6 shippin 10 minutes to install and saved almost $100.

Since then Ive found OEM filters from Hyundai Dealers on Ebay at even lower prices. Just did the spark plugs using OEM NGK and saved more than $ 200 over the dealer for a 105-20 minute job

·
Registered
5 Posts
3 months past since I got a 2016 Sonata Sport 2.4L to replace my first car that crapped out on me.
Bought it at 9.7K & currently at 13k. Aesthetically, I love the car & overall feels really solid to drive although there's some finicky things that happen when I drive that I'm not so sure it's supposed to do or not.

1. The hesitating I've seen here in the forum when releasing the brakes at a stop, the rpms definitely do drop to sub 500 when it happens & have seen the car idle at 600 (shaky) to 750 (no shake & feels normal)

2. Steering can feel sticky when going straight & attempting to make small adjustments to stay on the road. Not as bad but can still be annoying at times

3. Very rarely in the cold with the heat on I'll get a burnt smell at times, at first I thought it was cars infront of me till I got the same smell with no cars around.

I bought this car from a Chrysler/Jeep dealer so taking it to a new dealer seems like a last choice expensive move for me since I'm attempting to save up for a house, but I'll take it if needed. Just wanted some insight & hope to be around this subs/community more.
Hyundai Gang!!!
We need to solve that shaky issue. Here is why. NOT ALL SONATA's do it. I got the 2016 Limited 2.4L and drove 6 others so far, last being a loaner car. and i only encountered this RPM idle problem on 2 of them, the others work fine. HYUNDAI is hiding something. who do some do it and some dont. if it was how the cars were then ALL would do it. but the fact that some don't is a issue. I regret buying this flipping car so much cause in city driving that sucks. And another thing, the cars i drove that act perfectly they had way better acceleration and it was smoother.

·
Registered
5 Posts
we need to look into a class action for the idling. We should not have to keep the AC or Defroster on to have a smooth idling car. Eff that...lets Sue....maybe then they will send out an update. They already lied about the Gas milage

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
we need to look into a class action for the idling. We should not have to keep the AC or Defroster on to have a smooth idling car. Eff that...lets Sue....maybe then they will send out an update. They already lied about the Gas milage
Yeah it is kinda disappointing that for a new car, there's already finnicky stuff out the lot. I've put 9k miles since this post and it still occurs but the car hasn't let me down yet. Just wish it did feel more smoother at times.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah it is kinda disappointing that for a new car, there's already finnicky stuff out the lot. I've put 9k miles since this post and it still occurs but the car hasn't let me down yet. Just wish it did feel more smoother at times.
I had similar problem shortly after buying car new.Lack of power poor idle hesitation. Self diagnosed as a intake manifold leak dealer agreed, replace under warranty car still runs great 3 years later. Your car is still under bumper to bumper warranty . Use it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If this is true , you will be a godsend ! Last time I took it to the dealer and mentioned the issue , I'm sure they didn't bother checking and said it was "normal", sadly our towns dealer station is known for bad customer service. I'm no expert in self diagnostics but I will bring that up on my next trip. Thank you fellow Hyundai brother or sister!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts