Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say hello. This past week we bought my wife a new 2014 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T (Frost White/Saddle) to replace her '06 Rav4 Limited. When we began looking for a new car for her, based on her wants/needs, it all pointed to the SFS. We did not need the 7-passenger room, but wanted to step up in size from the Rav4. The SFS was perfect. I must admit only years ago I would not have considered a Hyundai, but they have certainly stepped it up and I feel are beginning to lead the pack. I am impressed with this automobile thus far.

I had done the initial research on a new car and wanted to show my wife some options. At this point my wife did not even know what a Santa Fe Sport was. So we headed out Sunday a week ago to browse the local lots. I immediately went to the Hyundai dealer to look at the SFS. I noticed a line of Santa Fe's behind the neighboring Audi dealer (same owner). A new load of '14's and there was the loaded Frost White with Saddle interior (car was only about 2 1/2 weeks old). Just what I was looking for. Told my wife, hey, this is the one you want. We never made it to another car lot that day, my wife loved the look of the SFS.

So, the following Tuesday I texted her to meet me at the dealer at lunch for a test drive. Two hours later, she was driving it home. I must say once we both got in the car and took it for a ride, the decision was over. Any hesitation in buying a Hyundai was gone. This was a **** nice car! I am impressed inside and out. We got a great deal that included the 10 year/100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and 5 years service/maintenance from the dealer. Just can't beat that. As of today all is well and I have a VERY happy wife.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
welcome, smart purchase. Gotta keep the wife happy.

I did the same a few months ago when I steered my wife towards her 2013 SFS.

·
Banned
532 Posts
Boy I hate it when there's yet another consistently happy Hyundai consumer.:cheer:

BTW:00000732:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Nice pics. Can you comment on how well the Blind Spot Monitor works? One poster said he couldn't get it to activate during his test drive.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Welcome to the club :). Once my wife and I test drove the SFS we knew it was what we wanted. Can't beat the factory warranty and the overall value

·
Registered
884 Posts
:00000732:

Nice story line!...Sharp ride!...Happy wife!...All bases covered!....Congrats!...:clap::clap:

·
Registered
210 Posts
CONGRATS!!! :clap: And well-come to the club. I am sure you will enjoy for years to come.

We also have the same white pearl with saddle interior, tech package but 2013 model year.

Does 2014 come with the blind spot monitor :(,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
welcome to the forums :00000732:
Thx Montego. Looks like a great community. Glad to be here!

Nice pics. Can you comment on how well the Blind Spot Monitor works? One poster said he couldn't get it to activate during his test drive.
It works as designed even though I have not tested it completely. There is an On/Off switch for it to left of the steering wheel. Per the manual, you must be going 18.6mph before it will activate. If you are going 6mph or faster than the car beside you it will not activate. Stage 1, which is the basic functionality, lights the car icon in the mirror yellow when a car is in the zone. What I haven't tested is Stage 2. When Stage 1 is on (car in blindspot) and you turn on the turn signal, the alert will blink and an alarm will sound.

I figured getting someone at my rear quarter and hit the turn signal might freak them out :D

welcome, smart purchase. Gotta keep the wife happy.

I did the same a few months ago when I steered my wife towards her 2013 SFS.
My wife's a doll. Love her to death. She's an overall happy person but the genuine smile on her face when she brought this car home was priceless.

Boy I hate it when there's yet another consistently happy Hyundai consumer.:cheer:

BTW:00000732:
:w00t:

Welcome to the club :). Once my wife and I test drove the SFS we knew it was what we wanted. Can't beat the factory warranty and the overall value
My thoughts exactly. I'm very optimistic about the future of the SFS based on what I've experienced so far.

Nice story line!...Sharp ride!...Happy wife!...All bases covered!....Congrats!...:clap::clap:
My daddy didn't raise no fool :D

CONGRATS!!! :clap: And well-come to the club. I am sure you will enjoy for years to come.

We also have the same white pearl with saddle interior, tech package but 2013 model year.

Does 2014 come with the blind spot monitor :(,
Ya have to admit it's a sharp combo :D Yes we have the blind spot monitor.

Sweeeet. Smart wife. Enjoy the ride.

John
Definitely. No Doubt. Will do!!

Thx golfermack

·
Banned
435 Posts
So...willing to disclose any particulars? With your rush to buy, it doesn't sound like you had time to do much price shopping. How did you arrive at a price you were willing to pay? Are you satisfied you got a decent/good/great deal? Any and all info that can help future buyers (like me!) is welcome. I hope you both enjoy your new Hyundai.

·
Registered
126 Posts
She didn't take the car, did she?!?

OP, congrats. A test drive very quickly dispelled any quality concerns I used to have about Hyundai. Just like Kia, the quality has moved well to the front of the pack and not a single car company can rival the value and overall finish of these cars. We were looking at the Lexus RS and could not justify the extra money for the "L" badge. It just doesn't make sense. I still get flack for owning a Hyundai from friends and co-workers. One ride very quickly silences the critics. Congrats!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So...willing to disclose any particulars? With your rush to buy, it doesn't sound like you had time to do much price shopping. How did you arrive at a price you were willing to pay? Are you satisfied you got a decent/good/great deal? Any and all info that can help future buyers (like me!) is welcome. I hope you both enjoy your new Hyundai.
I usually don't go into the particulars of my car deals in the forums. Typically steer clear of those types of threads in general. There always seems to be that one person that got like, you know, $40,000 off a $30,000 car and if you can't you're not worthy. I do however have a basic philosophy after buying many cars over the years.

For me, I typically have a trade. I know when I go in what I will take for the trade. I know what I will shoot for, but more importantly what I will actually take. Then there is the new car price. That depends completely on the car in question. I have a good idea of what the invoice price is for the car based on research of the car and manufacturer. Is it in high demand? New model year? Is the car I want on the lot? Lot's of factors there that determine where the dealer is willing to go. I do not try to squeeze the dealer (they need to make money to stay in business) and I never play with their holdback. I typically shoot for about $500 over invoice on the new car.

The only number I am interested in at this point is the difference between the trade value and the new car price based on the calculations above. That is the magic number. I do not care how that number is derived by the dealer. Take $5,000 of sticker, add to trade, does not matter. And most of all, be prepared to walk. It's a tough thing to do, but know what deal you want and what you can afford. If you don't get it, walk! Unless you are way off, they will come after you. Maybe even let go a couple of curse words while leaving the showroom. They really don't like that, LOL.

When you go to the dealer you should have a very good idea of what you expect the deal to be in dollar terms (trade/new car), as well as, payment terms if that is the way you need to go. There should really be no big surprises once all is said and done. You should really be able to determine whether (1) you can afford the car (2) what deal are you comfortable with before you ever talk with the dealer.

IMHO, never negotiate with payments. That's when the numbers and the deal get "cloudy". Don't go past 60 months when you do finance. I also like to establish the discount on the new car price first, THEN the trade. Sometimes I hold back the trade option just to see how much the dealer is willing to "honestly" come of the sticker. Once that is determined, throw the trade in. You will get a more "honest" price there as well.

I probably didn't verbalize this as well as I could, but I hope some of it gets through. If you have any questions, just let me know. Good Luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OP, congrats. A test drive very quickly dispelled any quality concerns I used to have about Hyundai. Just like Kia, the quality has moved well to the front of the pack and not a single car company can rival the value and overall finish of these cars. We were looking at the Lexus RS and could not justify the extra money for the "L" badge. It just doesn't make sense. I still get flack for owning a Hyundai from friends and co-workers. One ride very quickly silences the critics. Congrats!
Couldn't have said it better myself Decipher. She initially had her eyeballs on a BMW X3. We just really didn't need to go there.

·
Banned
435 Posts
I probably didn't verbalize this as well as I could, but I hope some of it gets through.
LF,

Thank you for your wonderfully detailed and well-considered exposition on the car buying process you employ. I would rather read chapters of similarly mature prose than hack through a single page of numbers that often seem to cloud more than they clarify the issue. I will take your thoughts under advisement, though I must say $500 over invoice is, in my opinion, singularly generous in today's world of holdbacks, trunk money, option discounts, and all the other tricks the industry uses to befuddle us poor car buyers! Thanks again for your time and wise words.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts