Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
Moved here a few months ago
I have the Canadian edition of the 2013 Sonata SE and live in Oakville ontario, it's a change from New Zealand I will tell you that!
So I'm thinking of putting the Michelin x ice 3s on the stock alloys 225 45 18s for the winter
Mostly because Costco gave me a good price that comparable with going down to 16s and buying 4 hub centric steelies
I'm told that changing tires over in spring is more expensive, any idea how much more? Been given a wide range of prices by different tire shops
I'm mostly driving locally except for trips to cottage country to visit friends

Your input is appreciated and any winter advice is welcome
Already signed up to skid school!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
just keep the orig. tires after they change them and store them I think that would be the best solution since it's a new car... or buy in spring nexen tires... cheap, good quality, and quieter than the stock tires

Im from Vancouver so we don't get much snow there, but I also live in Austria near Germany and our winters there are on par with ont. ones if not worse...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Winter tires are not a bad investment in our area at all, especially along the lake. I would however get steeles and not expose the alloys to snow and salt. The difference between tire prices of 18's and 16's will probably get you the steeles for free. 205/65/16 or 215/60/16 will both work. I have the later ones.

I just changed my tires (mount and balance) for $80 at Tires 23 :: Mississauga ON Tires & Auto Parts Shop for $120 they can do Road Force. I boght my summers there too. Costco's pricing was higher than these guys. They are in Mississauga but get a quote they may be lower enough to make a 20 min drive worth while.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live in Ottawa so the weather is similar. don't use your alloys in winter.
It's hard on the tires as well as the rims taking the tires on & off. It gets expensive as well because the tires have to be balanced each time.
Alloys tend to lose more air in the winter than steel rims and the road salt is hard on the alloys. If your going to hold onto your car for awhile it will likely be cheaper in the long run buying the four steel rims for winter.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree with the above posters. I also have a 2013 Sonata SE and bought 16" steel rims for my winter tires.

Leave your all-seasons on the alloy rims and put your winter tires on steel rims. You'll keep your summer wheels looking a lot better if they don't see all that salt. The Michelin x-ice are decent tires. If you get a good price, they'll be fine.

I bought a cheapo set of wheel covers to dress up the winter rims and they seemed to help keep much of the crud away from the wheel nuts.

·
Registered
107 Posts
A 45 series tire will not be best the most effective winter tire go for a smaller wheel and taller tire may work out to 60 or 65 series tire.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
i live not too far from the area, right in the thick of the crap too :)

its your first winter here, so expect it to be a learning experience. you're wise to get winter tires for that. we can all tell you that there will be a few times this winter that you'll get out there with ice everywhere. you probably already know, but doesn't hurt to say drive a bit slower, give yourself more braking room (as in brake sooner), take corners/turns slower and keep more distance with other cars around you as much as you can.

yes the salt will ruin your alloys. the steel wheels are your best bet, or do like i did and get some old crappy looking stock alloys off kijiji. they can look like crap all they want, they're only going to get worse :)

another thought for you...the salt on the roads is TERRIBLE on any car in the long run. expect rust down the road. undercoating is not a bad idea and will slow it down.

also, salt only really does its damage when the weather gets above 0ºC. take the car to the carwash on the days it gets warmer this winter. i like the ones that you have the sprayer gun and you do it yourself. that way i can clean off underneath the car easily.

·
Registered
166 Posts
With two sets of rims/tires I change them myself in fall and winter. Use the jack that came in the car and get one of these Mastercraft 3KO Corded Impact Wrench | Canadian Tire. Keep your eye on the Canadian Tire flyer they frequently go for 70%-80% off. Got mine for $39.99. You have until March ;)

Its about 60min of work. Shops will charge you aprox. $60 to switch so you will save money the first time you do it :)

Oh you will need an impact sockets that is not part of the kit. Forgot the size I have. maybe some one here can chime in on the size. another $10 but still under the single shop switch.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Places like Active Green and Ross, and I believe Costco, will switch your tires for free in the spring and fall if you buy tires from them. Active Green for sure, as thats who I use often and I don't pay a cent (as long as the winter tires have their own rims.)

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
heh had to laugh salle, i have an old CT electric impact gun. i think i've had it for about 7 years now...and it's been heavily used/abused. still going strong:)

i have a lot of their tools actually...if its something that i'm not using constantly i figure why buy the top tier? i don't work on cars for a living.

if i want something better (ie. i like good torque wrenches) i find their maximum line is pretty good.

·
Registered
223 Posts
well.. try joycity tires. they have good prices on winter tires and steelies. i got my bridgestone winters with steelies for $640 tax in.

i don't like switching rubber on rims every season because the shops will end up scratching your rims in the process sooner or later. An added bonus is that you can mount your tires yourself every season without going to a shop. I like to do tire changes myself since I've heard of many horror stories at many shops including Active Green and Ross. Recently, AGR didnt torque the nuts properly for a vehicle and the wheel fell off.. $2,000 damage to a mazda 5 just last month.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
the extra bucks for rims makes every year switching a breeze!

with every year rubber swap you pay for balancing every time and that gets costly

with rims and winter tires you just pay it on the original install

storing tires with or without rims takes the same space

good choice in tires the x3's are top rated!

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
if you want to be cheap and have winter wheels, just visit kijiji or craigslist. got myself a set of 4 OEM alloys for winter for $80. they could use a new paint job, but not like i care. they're winter rims!

·
Registered
166 Posts
heh had to laugh salle, i have an old CT electric impact gun. i think i've had it for about 7 years now...and it's been heavily used/abused. still going strong:)

i have a lot of their tools actually...if its something that i'm not using constantly i figure why buy the top tier? i don't work on cars for a living.

if i want something better (ie. i like good torque wrenches) i find their maximum line is pretty good.[/QUOTE}

Yeah, most of the tools i bought for home use is their 80% sales :) for the money its great and you are right they last just fine.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
well for $40 for an electric impact gun i don't care if it dies in 2 years :p and the sad part is i'll probably still try to take it apart and repair it if it does fail.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts