Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to AWD and have only ever driven my SFS in the spring/summer when the roads are clear.

Could someone explain to me how the AWD works in these vehicles? I'm assuming it's always 'on' and will only kick on when necessary. But what is the Lock button for?

·
Registered
263 Posts
tripoldfield posted this in another thread.... GREAT INFO!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

At 35 mph you loose the ability to LOCK in symmetrical AWD for off-roading. AWD will work, however, as needed at any speed when slippage is detected whether or not the lock is engaged. Pare_John is right about more components turning and then the extra weight of 150 lbs - both of which cause the engine to burn more fuel.

What is the real difference in mileage? who knows as of yet for the Santa Fe. But the Kia Sportage uses the same DynaMax system since 2011 model year and there seems to be 1 to 2 mph mileage penalty reported by their owners. 4 mpg on highway seems excessive.

Video on the DynaMax system:
Kia Dynamax
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
759 Posts
You're pretty much bang on - AWD is 99% front wheel drive, and when the traction control system notices you're slipping, it kicks in whatever wheel(s) it needs to to keep you straight.

The locking portion is for forcing the AWD system to send power to the back of the SFS in low speed, low traction conditions. If in deep snow/slush, the locking feature is great, but if you exceed 35-40km/h, the lock is automatically disengaged by the system.

Coming from a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and picking up my new SFS on the day of the worst snow storm of the year... I can say I was a little nervous, but with the factory all season tires - I was really impressed! This year, i'm putting on snow tires, so it'll only get better.

·
2,258 Posts
some cars (unsure about this one) from 0-5(ish)MPH you are in AWD. once you continue to accelerate AWD turns into FWD. if the car detects slipping, or loss of traction, it turns AWD on again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts