Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm fairly inexperienced with Hyundais and new to Accents, a friend of mine just got a '99, and I told her I'd help her make it as fun as possible. I'm in the process of making a short throw shifter for it, and we plan on a hub swap to get rid of those stupid hubs with the bolts and go to a 14 or 15 inch wheel (she has 13s).

In the meantime, I'm keeping my eye on the local pick'n'pull for donor cars, I would like to get a stock intake manifold and port it, and combine that with a slightly larger throttle body and CAI to improve throttle response.

I also figure we'll pillage the local advance, napa, and pepboys for whatever poly bushings we can find to stiffen up the chassis.

Anything else you 1G Accent people suggest? Does anyone make any sort of after-market header for this engine (doubt it)?

Good talking to you all!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jul 7 2010, 05:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339619
What do you do with the upstream O2 sensor when you use aftermarket headers?
I'm not familiar with the 02 sensor configuration... the headers if any even exist are last on the list so I've not looked at the current exhaust setup.

The only things we've done are replace the TPS and put a new paper filter in, tint her sunroof 5%, and I've replaced the shift boot and knob with one from an accord. I have the spare shifter from a donor car, have cut the shaft and polished it, but still have to drill a new hole in the bracket and weld it back together.

I was curious about the exhaust because there's almost always a few ponies to be had that way. I'm sure if someone makes an after-market header, they'll make provisions for the 02 sensor

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
QUOTE (slimbobaggins @ Jul 7 2010, 06:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339642
I'm sure if someone makes an after-market header, they'll make provisions for the 02 sensor
No, they don't. That's why I ask.

Anyway, I'm not so sure it's worth putting money into a '99 Accent.... It's only worth $1000 blue book. But it's not my car, so have fun if you want to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jul 7 2010, 06:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339647
No, they don't. That's why I ask.

Anyway, I'm not so sure it's worth putting money into a '99 Accent.... It's only worth $1000 blue book. But it's not my car, so have fun if you want to.
oh... well I'm not sure, I can figure out something. can you point me in the direction of the company that makes the header that doesn't account for the 02 sensor, so I can take a look at the design?

we wouldn't be putting much money into the car... buying junkyard parts and modifying them for whatever we can get out of them

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
QUOTE (slimbobaggins @ Jul 8 2010, 12:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339836
oh... well I'm not sure, I can figure out something. can you point me in the direction of the company that makes the header that doesn't account for the 02 sensor, so I can take a look at the design?

we wouldn't be putting much money into the car... buying junkyard parts and modifying them for whatever we can get out of them
You can find a lot of that stuff in eBay like headers and CAI, a lot is cheap junk, but you can get an idea.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jul 8 2010, 12:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339843
You can find a lot of that stuff in eBay like headers and CAI, a lot is cheap junk, but you can get an idea.
oh gotcha, i thought you knew of a reputable company making them. I'd rather make my own from scratch than buy a ghetto one off ebay, you're right, those are junk a lot of the time

·
Registered
3 Posts
just swap it. my car has about 175 hp on a stock tiburon motor with bolt-ons.. go to your local pullout and you should find one for like 300 bucks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts