Hyundai Forums banner

New Tires

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  jesse82nc 
#1 ·
I know there has been a lot of talk on the forum about the stock tires on our GT's...I'm in total agreement with everyone....THEY SUCKED!!!

I hit 36k miles on mine last week and decided since its the middle of winter to get new tires (the originals were almost bald). I read every tire related post on here and compared with things i found on the internet...i went with the Hankook Ventus1 noble 2 ultra high performance all-season 215/45R17. They were a little cheaper then the Continental DWS that everyone is raving about online but they have just as good ratings. I got them for $550 installed from my local tire guy that i always use.

After driving with them for a week now i have to say I'm impressed. There is less tire noise at highway speeds, and better on-center feel from the otherwise "numb" steering. I took a freeway off ramp that is a perfect 360° and it hung on for dear life....no tire squeal and I was doing at least 55mph!!! Not bad right? Then over the last 2 days mother nature decided to dump over a foot of snow on us here in Jersey and it handled awesome on my 55mile commute in 8" of snow last night. Plenty of traction and grip. I even made it up the 1000 ft hill that i live on with no issues on unplowed roads.

Anyway i hadn't seen anyone mention this tire before on this forum so i wanted everyone to keep it in mind when shopping as so far its working great for me. The only factor that still remains is wear??? I'll have to see if i can get another 30k+ out of them.

See less See more
#2 ·
Surveys look good on Tire Rack but only 166k miles reported:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHPAS

Small Tire Rack sample but seem like a solid choice.

I am going back and forth between the Conti DWS (I had 2 sets already) and some Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus (which is a totally new design over the irelli Cinturato P7 All Season lol). Wifey scraped up my new Coopers so I'll go shopping again.

Let us know how they do.

#5 ·
I guess I am also going to have to spend the $$$ on new tires. Sigh...
Or put the current ones on palliative care, a Levo drip, and pray.

It's a PITA to know you're going to have to replace "what should have been" good quality tires. But, take a page out of my book. Once you bite the bullet and make the deal, you'll be happy with your decision. And if the old tires look semi-decent, consider giving them to some high school kid that's running around on "May-Pop's!"

We thrilled a kid nearly half out of his mind some year's back when we gave him the tires off the wife's old Volvo. You would've thought he had received an A+ on his Calculus final.

#4 ·
I just put these on a few weeks ago : Continental Pure Contact Eco Plus Technology(low rolling resistance tires). I have the 16" model. Here in Connecticut, we got hammered with a few bad snows and a really bad one this past Tuesday. These tires performed unreal in the snow. The parkways were horrible and a few inches of snowpack covered the parkway. I didnt get stuck once and the tires spun briefly and then you could feel it bite into the snow and grab. Braking was great too. These tires had a 9 out of 10 in snow and ice so I grabbed them.......and they dont dissapoint. Highly recommneded.

#8 ·
I know there has been a lot of talk on the forum about the stock tires on our GT's...I'm in total agreement with everyone....THEY SUCKED!!!

I hit 36k miles on mine last week and decided since its the middle of winter to get new tires (the originals were almost bald). I read every tire related post on here and compared with things i found on the internet...i went with the Hankook Ventus1 noble 2 ultra high performance all-season 215/45R17. They were a little cheaper then the Continental DWS that everyone is raving about online but they have just as good ratings. I got them for $550 installed from my local tire guy that i always use.
I think the Ventus Noble 2 is a good choice. I'm not a particular fan of Hankook but I think they have some very good aftermarket tires. I ended up getting the Ventus V2 Concept to replace the OEMs and so far they appear to be like everyone said: very nice riding for a high performance tire, good wearing / braking, and very good in the wet. Hankook performance tires in general seem to be a bit more biased to ride comfort than competing brands...that's something that I wanted in equal parts to a bump up in handling so it was a good choice for me...but, like everybody says...almost anything is better than the OEMs.

#9 ·
Just pulled the trigger, and got 4 General Altimax RT-43's 235/55/18"
They are top rated in the standard all-season tires at "tire rack". A new tire design, supposedly better then the previous generation Altimax RT's.

They're supposed to be great in all weather, with a 75,000mile warrantee, and more reasonable then most, including any Conti's, or the Michelin Defender.

#13 ·
I wanted to chime in here. Just this past week I had new tires put on my GT. I chose the Continental DWS's. HUGE improvement over the stock shoes. Now, with less than one gas tank of time on the new rubber it is very early. I am confident they will wear better than the stock rubber.

Snowy.

#14 ·
In EVERY post I've read, and as a purchaser of replacement tires recently, I can not recall anyone saying, "I sure do miss my original tires!" I think that speaks to the OEM issue, yes? :wink2:

#16 ·
As has been posted here before, this is definitely not a Hyundai issue specifically. While some OEM tires are better than others, I've replaced the tires with under 10K miles on the Toyota and Mazda I owned before the Accent. I believe these were Firestone and Goodyear OEMs respectively. Both were horrid and the Firestone was borderline dangerous. I've even replaced the OEM tires on my elderly parents car when it was less than a year old ( it became an issue even for them ) so I almost look at it as a given these days.

#17 ·
I agree about the stock tires, almost 30k miles and I am tired of them. I just bought a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires, I should have them on next weekend if I have time. For the 2 days of snow driving I have to deal with a year, I got some ultra-high performance tires. I'll check back in in a couple weeks with an update. I got them for $120 a tire from Summit Racing (they were the cheapest surprisingly, but I had to wait a couple weeks for them to come in).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.